Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
26 minutes ago, edo said:

As begbie said though its a ducking tightrope

Mad rainy windy cycle or a mad bus journey where the public attempt to interact with you. 

You are not wrong sir! I'm sitting here with my roll and coffee and wondering if it really was the correct decision! I hate buses! On the plus side I have no reason to not stop for a pint after work

• Like 5

Posted

A very blustery and sunny day out there, though very mild at the same time as its currently 12c.

Wondering if the lack of winter has something to do with this story - link

West looks best again for next weeks snow potential, the West Aberdeenshire Snow Shield will no doubt do its business over the next few days for this area.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Heavy snow looks likely for the majority of Scotland on Monday - especially in the morning hours

snow.png

snow0.png

snow1.png

snow2.png

snow3.png

snow4.png

snow5.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

ooft - wonder if it will settle down to low levels

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Another sleety mess to lower levels....

Yep. Plenty of sleety pish at times tomorrow too I supect!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Yep. Plenty of sleety pish at times tomorrow too I supect!

I'm thinking more snow than sleet tomorrow, uppers looking less marginal than of late. I'm not expecting anything on Monday, maybe some wet flakes mixed in, but these situations rarely bring anything other than rain to Edinburgh. 

• Like 5

Posted

The Tweed valley in front of my home has flooded five times since we moved here in July 2017. Three of those five times has been in the last two weeks.

From 3am tomorrow for seven whole days, my temps only range between -2C and a few hours of 3C on one day forecast. Sleety mix it is.

• Like 7

Posted

I cannot remember a wetter day for a long time here. Roads are awash, water pouring off the fields. 

Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch is the highest I've seen it by a long way in the 15 years I have lived in the area. 

Its fair to say my normal route home was off tonight.

IMG_6036.thumb.PNG.505a1504ae0e8d78d1f886e9a45f34c7.PNG

• Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, JamesM said:

I cannot remember a wetter day for a long time here. Roads are awash, water pouring off the fields. 

Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch is the highest I've seen it by a long way in the 15 years I have lived in the area. 

Its fair to say my normal route home was off tonight.

IMG_6036.thumb.PNG.505a1504ae0e8d78d1f886e9a45f34c7.PNG

71mm of rain there over the last 36 hours according to SEPA. We've had about 36mm in the last 24hrs and around 50mm over the last 36 hours. All made worse by the recent wet weather!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A wee trip to Aviemore with PG junior. Wed: rain. Thurs: beefy snow showers and sunshine - felt like proper winter. Fri: back to persisting it down. 

Flooding in the countryside surrounding the A9 on the drive hame looked significant. 

Back in Comrie, rainfall for the month so far is 250.3mm (30 year average is 79.1mm - for the whole month). 

Starting to wonder if we're heading into (or have reached?) record breaking territory a la December 2015.

The Earn remains scarily high and it's hosing it down. Again. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Polar Gael said:

A wee trip to Aviemore with PG junior. Wed: rain. Thurs: beefy snow showers and sunshine - felt like proper winter. Fri: back to persisting it down. 

Flooding in the countryside surrounding the A9 on the drive hame looked significant. 

Back in Comrie, rainfall for the month so far is 250.3mm (30 year average is 79.1mm - for the whole month). 

Starting to wonder if we're heading into (or have reached?) record breaking territory a la December 2015.

The Earn remains scarily high and it's hosing it down. Again. 

Compares with my rain gauge near Halkirk getting just 76mm so far this month. In the few years I've been working on and off up there, I don't recall any really wet spell.

Coming back down to the Black Isle this afternoon, Easter Ross fields are as flooded as they were when I went north on Monday and we still have a moat at HC Towers - but we've had little compared to most folk here further south.

Next week is still looking wintry.

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We've managed only 157.6mm since the start of December, we should just about sneak below average for Dec-Feb. Goes to show how westerly dominated the wind has been. Having said that we have never dried out after the 150mm in November. 

138.4mm for Feb at my nearest SEPA location.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
26 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Compares with my rain gauge near Halkirk getting just 76mm so far this month. In the few years I've been working on and off up there, I don't recall any really wet spell.

Coming back down to the Black Isle this afternoon, Easter Ross fields are as flooded as they were when I went north on Monday and we still have a moat at HC Towers - but we've had little compared to most folk here further south.

Next week is still looking wintry.

We really have taken a doing this month.

Just imagine if it had all fallen as snaw...

*sigh*  

• Like 7

Posted

Been raining on and off for about 19 hours another lashing. I doubt we'll need to worry about any drought this year ;) Absolutely remarkably wet January and February

• Like 8

Posted

210mm here. First time I've looked at SEPA data. Cheers Catch/101_North

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Tomorrow looks like a case of Deja Vu of the last few weeks, snow even to lower levels and brief coverings possible before melt then more showers, 614546938_nmm_uk1-45-36-0(3).thumb.png.10688a1f291b9f7d4cc50532c25e7071.png

2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather how accurate is the WRF at windspeed? Does it overcook them? We hardly ever get gusts at or above 70mph here. That would cause a lot of tree damage.

59716389_Screenshot_20200221-234528_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5ab47ef359e435342d2e6dd4eff82cd6.jpg

I dont look at the wind charts much but when I do I try to compare to the other short range models and kind of average it out but I think the wrf 2km will be pretty accurate once it gets within range, the wrf eu is showing similar to the chart you posted and as you know there will be run to run differences and slight changes in pressure and position will make all the difference. Also snow risk still on for Monday morning then gradually turning colder again once the low starts to pull away probably with more wintry showers again. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Wow intense rain with really strong gusts. I am at work and unable to check the radar but feels like a squall line passing through? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Have been awake for the past 2 hours just lying in bed listening to the weather. Think absolutely everything has been thrown at us in that short space of time including some very short rumbles of thunder. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Snowing and settling here, 1.9C.

Surprised to find that the weather station recorded a max sustained speed of 57.1mph and a gust of 63.1mph at 00:45....which is stronger than either Ciara or Dennis. Not sure how I managed to sleep through that!

• Like 7