Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Where art thou @Mr Frost has all this weather somehow missed Gourock hope you didn't get carried away trying to get stormy / snowy pics.

• Like 6

Posted

OK. Giving up this cold snap. Heavy snow outside again as there has been all day but it's not sticking. Frustrating day as the charts looked much better for today. Thankful to have at least got yesterdays fun with the kids. 

• Like 9

Posted

Sunny day today with a max of 5.5c, but feeling bitter in the wind.

Really gusty winds this evening - going by the completely subjective criteria of rattling roof tiles its actually stormier this evening compared to Storm Ciara over the weekend.

Still dry though, the West Aberdeenshire snowshield is impressively powerful.

• Like 9

Posted
39 minutes ago, 101_North said:

OK. Giving up this cold snap. Heavy snow outside again as there has been all day but it's not sticking. Frustrating day as the charts looked much better for today. Thankful to have at least got yesterdays fun with the kids. 

Dont worry we still have the will it / wont it to come on Thursday with lower pressure moving up from the south ...  Has been good to get some snow this winter though many of us could have had some decent lying snow if everything had went right but you win some you lose some, still might catch a few showers tomorrow.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Sunny day today with a max of 5.5c, but feeling bitter in the wind.

Really gusty winds this evening - going by the completely subjective criteria of rattling roof tiles its actually stormier this evening compared to Storm Ciara over the weekend.

Still dry though, the West Aberdeenshire snowshield is impressively powerful.

Just been out to Insch and back to pick up youngest from a club and it's wild out there. Snow showers definitely making it this far, with moderate snow being blown horizontally. Even with temps of 1-2C it's not really lying though, even on the higher parts of the road. Trees have really taken a battering this winter with plenty of evidence of broken branches on the road, but nothing too large. 

Any snow that was lying this morning had gone by the time I got home from work too. Even Bennachie looked depressingly brown. Can't think that I've seen it white at all this winter, which in the >10 years I've lived in this area is a first. 

• Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

One remarkable feature of this cold spell here is that the temperature has sat at between 1.3C-1.6C for a couple of days while the sleet has lashed down on and off but far more on than off. Close but no rollie let alone a cigar.

Here is my temperature graph since Sunday night and a good example of being just the wrong side of marginal temperatures.thumb.png.125f097599b6bf1673a0e91104eab18c.png

• Like 8

Posted
12 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Didn't make any contact with the spirit of @bigsnow then?

Haha. If my partner’s eyes roll back in her head and she shouts  “BRING ME MY SNAW!!” we’ll know he’s been summoned 

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Haha. If my partner’s eyes roll back in her head and she shouts  “BRING ME MY SNAW!!” we’ll know he’s been summoned 

I imagine he is currently cursing at the radar as the Aberdeenshire snow shield holds firm

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
43 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I imagine he is currently cursing at the radar as the Aberdeenshire snow shield holds firm

As the wind turns a bit North of West some showers are likely get through to parts of Aberdeenshire. Unfortunately it also means they are less likely to get to my area 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

As the wind turns a bit North of West some showers are likely get through to parts of Aberdeenshire. Unfortunately it also means they are less likely to get to my area 

But will they be of snaw 

15 minutes ago, 101_North said:

He'll be going through usernames for next year! Moresnow? Crap. Used it Bigsnow? Oh baws! Used it Mairsnow? Bigsnaw? Lotsofsnaw? Naesnaw? Ahhh stained glass window.....

He should go through the list of 421 words  just noticed this one which is the opposite of what we have had over the last few days :oldlaugh: "Lying-storm A fall of snow which does not melt away quickly but lies long on the ground." 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Wakes up, excitedly looks out of window, slowly closes curtains, starts getting ready for work in a big sulk

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all,

I finally saw some lying snow in the East Neuk! Spotted some above 250m on Largo Law this morning 

To be fair the majority of winters I’ve had in the East Neuk have been without lying snow and I did at least see some flakes falling from the sky on Monday!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dry and breezy here and all is remarkably green! A few big thunder rumbles last night with a couple more mini power cuts. I see Dennis will be coming to tea over the weekend. I wonder if he'll be as wild ( NOT! ) as his wee buddy Ciara. I gave up trying to keep the stove going in the kitchen yesterday. More smoke blew down the chimney than went up it. Had to open the windows to let the smoke out, as well as any heat! So a pointless task really. Back to using wee fan heater in kitchen until wind drops, which may be a long way away!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Settled snow above about 150m inland in Caithness. I'm at 100m. Temp about 1C, much less wind and the showers are fizzling out. Well they would, wouldn't they, now the temp's forecast to drop?

edit: the radar lies!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 8

Posted

As above settled snow all round me but just very wet here although last couple of showers have been of snow and in the usual cold areas it has settled.Currently overcast , moderate breeze and 2c

• Like 5