Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Big crack of thunder with a mix of hail and snow. Kids were outside throwing snowballs at each other but ran back inside after hearing the thunder  

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Can someone explain the wet bulb temperature,,,many thanks 

The showers look a little lighter tomorrow too ⛄

I think it’s the temperature as read by a thermometer with wet cloth wrapped on the bulb, and it therefore indicates the lowest temperature the air at any given time can potentially reach through evaporative cooling.

But someone who really knows what they are talking about can correct or confirm this!

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Spindrift2017 said:

I think it’s the temperature as read by a thermometer with wet cloth wrapped on the bulb, and it therefore indicates the lowest temperature the air at any given time can potentially reach through evaporative cooling.

But someone who really knows what they are talking about can correct or confirm this!

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding of it too. When you see snow falling on puddles or wet grass and it kinda does nothing for ages but then all of a sudden everything goes white, that's the point at which wet bulb temperatures are approached freezing. Locally, the ground level air mass can be cooled enough by heavy precipitation for wet bulb temperatures to change, but in showery, windy, mobile conditions, wet bulbs are mostly determined by the overall air mass and therefore those wet bulb temperatures are harder to shift downwards.

• Like 9

Posted

Snow mixed with hail here in Fauldhouse.

And a couple of flashes of lightning with big booms of thunder.

• Like 6

Posted

Just enough snow on the ground for the kids to have some fun. Incoming storm in the distance...

1F72754D-2F5F-4F4F-BABA-99812DCA6619.thumb.jpeg.5ea0d9fefb7b5b567e438d060c5344dc.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
9 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

I think that Mr Hawes is the person to ask about wet bulbs. Here they are too high (or soaking) just now as that last shower despite being quite heavy did not stick. Took a walk between showers but got caught in it. Bumped into some surprised visitors in theTechnology Park area. 

E60B40EE-F5B0-4CAE-B92F-F30A34BDCA3C.png

• Like 9

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Just enough snow on the ground for the kids to have some fun. Incoming storm in the distance...

1F72754D-2F5F-4F4F-BABA-99812DCA6619.thumb.jpeg.5ea0d9fefb7b5b567e438d060c5344dc.jpeg

Good pic, that's beginning to rumble away here now 

• Like 5

Posted

Woah, just looked out the window and a CG came down just in front of me with instant thunder. It appears to have knocked out my security camera as I just tried to connect to it to get the footage and it's not working!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

snowing here again, though I am to the north of that main streamer still  some heavier stuff heading this way.

• Like 3

Posted

Wow another flash and big crack of thunder. Managed to get a clip of the thunder setting off car alarms and screaming kids 

• Like 5

Posted

Whiteout here and some massive flakes. IMG_20200210_150700.thumb.jpg.a429a58981bb31506ded534f12487b76.jpgIMG_20200210_150704.thumb.jpg.ec8e4a7ba6f9b12bf850e776d579225c.jpgIMG_20200210_150818.thumb.jpg.b324e8d2d99533bcf441586efaaf719e.jpgIMG_20200210_150821.thumb.jpg.19ecf42a7b8db4a89ca113f73ad7912a.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Heavy snow in Motherwell again, not really settling and as soon as it stops it's melting away quickly, quite slushy and slippy looking at the moment.

• Like 5

Posted
On 08/02/2020 at 17:24, Ross90 said:

Tonight has been a bit of a let down so far considering 5-6pm was forecast as the period of strongest winds, 50 - 55mph max in the lower parts of Strathclyde.

all rain here..very went and v gusty in kilmarnock

• Like 2

Posted

Snow just keeps on coming, just a shame it is slushy ATM but hopefully sticks better later and if this freezes it will be a danger zone. IMG_20200210_160353.thumb.jpg.ca25538a96f16d16af3e9fc7b08f5676.jpgIMG_20200210_160350.thumb.jpg.5787b058c6f789e0abd629445a8ff0c5.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Eased off here but the best covering since April '18 from that last prolonged shower. Probably about 2cm at best but looks nice and happy kids. 

• Like 8