Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Just watched the latest BBC forecast and they are still predicting +85mph gusts for central Scotland this evening. I don’t see it happening myself but who knows? 

• Like 5

Posted

Cattle all done earlier this morning,cows back in from neeps so all lying down on fresh straw. Fields all very muddy again and its getting more and more stormy with lashing rain and stronger gusts of wind. Currently  6.5c so temperature dropping now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
4 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Just watched the latest BBC forecast and they are still predicting +85mph gusts for central Scotland this evening. I don’t see it happening myself but who knows? 

Probably the same recording they’ve been showing since 7am this morning. Another example of how lame the bbc has become I really cannot believe you can get a criminal record for not paying for this utter tosh.

oh and the weather here in the trossachs is pretty standard February fare 

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Probably the same recording they’ve been showing since 7am this morning. Another example of how lame the bbc has become I really cannot believe you can get a criminal record for not paying for this utter tosh.

oh and the weather here in the trossachs is pretty standard February fare 

I stopped paying the tv licence years ago. Never had a visit, I doubt they could find the place.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The BBC used to be the gold standard AAA+ when it came to the weather but if this turns out wrong they're scraping a ZZZ- at best and only cos that's as low as my random rating system goes.

Couldn’t agree more catch thought it was just nostalgia.just the other day they had nearly all of Scotland north of Glasgow covered in snow with temperatures of 9c I mean what the actual F is that all about.Back in the golden generation Macaskil .Fish.Giles to name but a few you just knew that the 1snowflake symbol with all the country covered in the rain symbols meant snow above 3000ft

Rant over away for a nice 16oz popeseye (rump in England) steak and chips 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Latest from Leuchars WSWly 44mph gusting 63mph.

Edit: Tay Bridge now closed to all vehicles.

They must have had a gust over 80mph if it is closed completely. Feels relatively calm in my garden just now but was out a while ago and it is pretty gusty where exposed. I felt the car rock with a gust after switching the engine off.

I notice that the warning for snow tomorrow has now been extended down the Tay to here. Must be because the wind is SW or WSW and has a much narrower band of mountains to cross from that direction. East Fife still not in the warning area though KW and Hawesy.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Quite the shower in Glasgow just now. Gusts have got up and torrential rain.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
9 minutes ago, Norrance said:

They must have had a gust over 80mph if it is closed completely. Feels relatively calm in my garden just now but was out a while ago and it is pretty gusty where exposed. I felt the car rock with a gust after switching the engine off.

I notice that the warning for snow tomorrow has now been extended down the Tay to here. Must be because the wind is SW or WSW and has a much narrower band of mountains to cross from that direction. East Fife still not in the warning area though KW and Hawesy.

LOL snow shield activated image.thumb.png.16ecaaf92eb0a90cbec13f5264270c4b.png. Though usually a warning is a curse for snow here so perhaps no warning will mean we actually get snow  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
4 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Quite the shower in Glasgow just now. Gusts have got up and torrential rain.

Yes same here just to the south of Glasgow. Showers are starting to fall as sleet now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Late afternoon sun trying to cheer us up. Wheelie bins and crowd barriers flying. Twigs on the roads. Norbord 'smog' is just a horizontal scraggy line.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
58 minutes ago, edo said:

Some dafties parked their cars foolishly at Riverside in Dundee 

IMG-20200209-WA0024.jpg

Yup, the stupidity of the general public is really something else. The same down here and the response is ‘I didn’t realise it would flood’.

A wild night last night, a fair few trees down. Also was rolling on the ground after some (C)*** tried to headbutt me. So quite wet aye

Hopefully we see some snow in the next two days!

6B1F0314-90A7-4376-8D4B-330788CF2DB7.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Can see this squall line passing to the North of me  

Screenshot_20200209-165801_Chrome.jpg

20200209_164900.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Whoever ends up under some of those streamers tomorrow could get decent amounts  970633047_nmm_uk1-45-36-0(2).thumb.png.70b03eb93edb83cb02a7e07569568243.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Stormeh said:

Yes same here just to the south of Glasgow. Showers are starting to fall as sleet now.

Yeah just drove through that, lots of hail here on the cars at home but didn't see any while I was driving. 

• Like 1

Posted

The highest gust here in Dunoon got to 70mph at 2.29pm its been heavy showers all afternoon some had a bit of hail but mostly just rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Blizzards over higher ground Scotland tomorrow. Met office see significant accumulations, at elevation, for north ana norh west Scotland.

• Like 2

Posted

Excellent use of the flood gate 

Screenshot_20200209-174325_Twitter.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Yup met office very bullish that very much an elevation event so hard to expect anything different. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, edo said:

Yup met office very bullish that very much an elevation event so hard to expect anything different. 

Anywhere around 150mts asl upwards should get the goods.

Screenshot_20200209-180231_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
59 minutes ago, edo said:

Excellent use of the flood gate 

Screenshot_20200209-174325_Twitter.jpg

Yes allegedly some clever people (council?) forgot to actually close the gates. And thenagain some people parked beyond the barriers 

C14FFFC9-70B9-40D6-87E8-EFDD01B971ED.png

C97143A0-45F9-47A5-A7A1-5C4BEFE2D8DD.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Question - just wondering here what is causing the 'tail' in these showers crossing Glasgow in a line just now? They come in over the Renfrewshire heights more as a 'blob' (well known meteorological term) but then once they come towards the city they have this long dangling tail off the the SW quadrant - happened with a few now.

Anyone know why?

• Like 1