Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Wind is coming WSW/W now and high tide has arrived here - gusts still as expected 50/55mph.

There is more chance of me seeing 30cm’s of settling snow tomorrow at sea level than there is of Central Scotland getting gusts anywhere near 70mph to 85mph today.

Sun is out and currently 10c! 

Cove road is a 30 minutes walk from my house - hopefully no homes affected.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

59.6mph just now. That's the highest we've had here since 18th September 2018 (64mph). Amazing how you can hear surges like that approaching over 10 seconds or so, as the sound builds. Had to shore up the fence as a few more like that and it's coming down.

• Like 6

Posted

8c, gusty winds and occasional passing showers of rain but overall sunny - nothing notable weather-wise so far.

Impressive squall line over England now though....

image.thumb.png.116add8a44b508f295d5831372a937ee.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

7C, a few blobby showers and a bit draughty, could be starting to pick up a bit but it'll have to get its skates on if the forecasts are right.

Met office says sustained 30mph here, now, which is crap. 10 to 15mph with occasional slightly stronger gusts.

However the latest from the airport just over the water is 26mph so what do I know?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted

Power cut, not surprised given the wind strength at present.

Kicking myself as I was considering filling a couple of thermos flasks.

Bugger!

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I would say my last noteworthy severe gale event was Storm Gareth last March - wind was from a North Westerly direction and the constant roar through the night/early hours kept me awake! (60/65mph here)

Storm Gareth advances with floods and 75mph winds

_106000330_prestwickweather.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A Met Office warning of potential disruption remains in place after strong overnight winds and rain.

I think Hurricane Bawbag raised the bar with regards to storms and of course the media attention in Scotland it received.  Also the first ever Met Office red warning for wind issued in the UK.

Scotland storm blackout hitting thousands

_57217948_jex_1259114_de27-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Police tell people in Scotland not to travel, as severe winds of up to 165mph hit the country, leaving more than 50,000 people without power.

It really all depends on what wind direction affects you most/how sheltered you are - makes us all have different views/favourites on previous/current storms. 

Storm Ciara was showing as a really big wind event for Scotland on the models/charts a few days ago - think we all realise now why there was no Amber warning for wind. (It’s all pretty standard stuff for us all - notable thing for me is the prolonged strong winds over a number of days)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Winds really starting to pick up again.

This accurately describes things:

EDIT

Serious squall coming through complete with howling wind and hail thrown into the mix.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

165 mph, they should have added at the highest weather station... some of those headlines  that one was one of the longest lasting that i can remember, a good 7-8 hours of 60-80mph gusts.

The two strongest storms i've experienced by a distance were the 1998 boxing day storm and Jan 3rd 2012, they're the only ones that reached 90 mph in inland parts of strathclyde in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted

Very wet overnight and now we just have squally showers. Curently 8c.

Perhaps the BBC should have delayed this story for a few days 

_110815799_plateauncairngorms.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Enthusiasts say they have noticed a difference in conditions on the hills in recent years.

as the mountains especially the western ones look like getting a good top up of snow this week with all the gullies getting well filled in the strong winds. The snow  drift scars on the mountains in the late spring and early summer  could be quite impressive.

• Like 3

Posted

Wind really picked up in the last 20mins.  Disconcerting creaks and groans coming from the roof tiles!  Meanwhile still lovely and sunny outside.

• Like 3

Posted
20 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Best snaw is gonnae be at ma hoose. 

--

Wind stairtin tae whistle. Rain oan. Aff we go. 

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

6 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Aye, windier now...

6 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Aye, windier now...

What are the chances of the A82 being open tomorrow? does it close a lot due to snow? I am thinking of going to the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

The two strongest storms i've experienced by a distance were the 1998 boxing day storm and Jan 3rd 2012, they're the only ones that reached 90 mph in inland parts of strathclyde in my lifetime.

Yeah the Jan 2012 one was bonkers here. Never heard anything quite like that in my life. That constant roar, interspersed by the sound of the occasional 150yr old beech tree thudding down outside.

Wasn't there something in May, maybe 2011? That was quite damaging here as the trees were coming into leaf.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Pretty windy here just now. Worst it's been all day, quite noisy too. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Hi I’ve got a few days off so I’m heading up to Scotland in the search for some white stuff,not sure where best to head,fort William,was thinking with it being more in the west,is it high up there.or was looking at Aviemore,will that still get the showers from the west as it is a bit further east..Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Cheers jason

What are the chances of the A82 being open tomorrow? does it close a lot due to snow? I am thinking of going to the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe

They're pretty good at keeping that open.....but plan for the worst just in case. Sleeping bag, spade, food and wotnot  Gawd I haven't had to carry all that stuff for years. Used to carry it around in the car boot as standard when driving about the highlands and Perthshire in winter, and needed some or all of that kit once or twice. Still a good idea in colder spells.

PS - 62mph now.

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 4

Posted

Wind is really getting into its stride now. Power is back on for the time being.

Peak winds due around 4pm here before gradually easing.

Wild!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

Still no noticeable wind here in Invergordon. Trees and shrubs are barely moving. BBC weather app says gusts of 48h now., but more like 10 at present. All I can say is that it may strike very suddenly. Is this happening anywhere e”she?

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from Leuchars WSWly 44mph gusting 63mph.

Edit: Tay Bridge now closed to all vehicles.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Worst of the wind so far here over the last 45 mins or so and pressure now at 960.48 hpa (still falling) 1688074991_nmm_uk1-45-36-0(1).thumb.png.13622c50671f252dc6e16babc5723aef.png 1627258362_euro4_uk1-46-54-0(1).thumb.png.63d7955737046ce701c5fe945e06412a.png 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
40 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Cheers jason

Just be prepared. The A82 can be nasty in winter conditions (high up and exposed south of Glencoe) but the way the weather's going just now, I'd say you'll be fine. Winter tyres will be very handy whatever the next few days are like.

• Like 2