Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's gone very dark out there and wind has dropped. The calm before the storm?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Maybe too early to write it off but so far the max gusts are only around 50mph, the same as they were yesterday.If this is as bad as it gets then the bbc were talking absolute rubbish and will have lost all credibility for me anyway.They're still showing 68mph in 2 to 3 hours...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Wind would appear to be picking up quite a bit here in last 10 - 15 minutes or so. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Met Office changed from sleet showers to heavy snow showers from early tomorrow morning for most of the day. Could be a interesting drive to work tomorrow at 3.30pm if this is the be believed...

4688A1A9-7DE6-48C8-8FFE-ACB9A6CB3D5D.thumb.png.d1e833c9d2b8e6b51c536ae443152b73.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

There's a great swathe of 70mph + winds coming in. Wouldn't be too sure about it being less windy than elsewhere. Nowcasting pretty much as the storm is still evolving. 

AIR.PNG

601.PNG

• Like 6

Posted
38 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Holy crap fir the morn fir me!

bejeesus.png

I've changed my mind and i'm trying not to travel down the M74 tomorrow morning, although I am tempted to make sure I see some snaw 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

Where is the storm? It is dead calm and not raining here now here in Invergordon! Is this all hype or do I live in a climate bubble? Probably regret this post later as my roof blows off! TBH I rather suspected this would happen here as we usually miss out on severe weather here due to our sheltered location from Atlantic weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Wondering if the Met office is having a weather symbol clearout? They seem to have stuck them all randomly on the Falkirk forecast (actually we're missing lightning and fog) 

Screenshot_20200209-110935.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Borders is badly flooded this morning, not sure if it's going to be as bad as a few years ago but the rivers are unusually high. 

Catch,my daughter drove from Gala to Newcastle this morning and it took her 3 hours. She said flooding was bad.

• Like 5

Posted

This mornings gloomy start has given way to sunny intervals and 9C. Wind has picked up but nowhere near yesterday's gusts.

Calm before the storm?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
2 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

This mornings gloomy start has given way to sunny intervals and 9C. Wind has picked up but nowhere near yesterday's gusts.

Calm before the storm?

47.9mph highest here today, which is stronger than yesterday but yep still sounds relatively calm out there.

• Like 5

Posted

Back home in Pittenweem after a night out in Dundee. Was wet, windy and unpleasant but nothing unusual for winter in Scotland! Wind currently 33mph at Leuchars, gusting 46mph. 11c.

I see the Met Office snow warnings have been updated and it still looks like modest elevation (>150m) will be required for a ‘proper’ snowfall:

The height of the snow level will vary throughout the period, but it is likely that any snow accumulations at low levels will only be temporary. 

Wet bulb temps will be key for snow to accumulate. 

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I think she's done and gone from here now! We have bits of blue sky appearing and the wind has all but disappeared! 

• Like 4

Posted

Latest Met update going for 57mph gusts around 4pm. Light snow forecast for tomorrows commute.

Snow and ice warnings in force for most of Scotland Wednesday.

An interesting week of weather ahead.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Borders is badly flooded this morning, not sure if it's going to be as bad as a few years ago but the rivers are unusually high. 

Just been oot with the dugs and aye, the ground is completely saturated. Overland flow everywhere. Springs have appeared where I've never seen them before.

Road outside - which runs through a wood - is a right state with branches, mud etc. A good few trees down too. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I was out and about around 0830 while it was still raining a bit the wind had died down, now the wind has greatly increased and getting quite gusty, Beeb weather on-line said the central belt could see gusts touching 85mph late in the afternoon/evening...Christ that's blowy..!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Well it's 12:40 and i'm calling it now, the bbc were talking rubbish.Unless there's a rapidly forming sting jet nowhere in the central belt is getting 85 mph gusts.The weather has been very much in line with what the met has been predicting for the last few days.Winds peaked maybe slightly up on yesterday in the mid 50s between 10-11am here.A yellow warning was all it was worth, even Brendan had stronger winds at it's peak.

I think when looking at forecasts for almost any type of weather but especially wind whichever model goes for the lowest speeds is usually the most accurate. 

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 1

Posted

We had heavy showers in the morning with some strong gusts of 53mph. The showers have eased off a bit now and we've had a bit of sunshine. The wind is starting to really pick up now though I think for me it's meant be at its worst between 12pm and 3pm.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm remembering that in the Jan 2018 serious snow that hit Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Borders the Meto warnings were very dynamic with ambers appearing nailing significantly heavier periods of snow within the general showers 12-18 hours before they hit. Was impressive how locally correct these became with 500 Square km pinpoints being nailed-on seemingly like magic. 

Keep refreshing that wx warning page this evening! 

• Like 4