Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Weirdly calm in Motherwell, trees are barely even twitching but it's been constant heavy rain for the last 4 hours now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

A short while ago very intense rain with ice mixed in sounded great tinkling on the windows now its all calmed down a bit.

I'am not yet 100% convinced we will see much lying snow here on the east coast next week the winds are from the wrong direction for starters the hills in the west usually mop up everything and is it going to be cold enough...fingers crossed I'am completely wrong.

This is sitting patiently in the shed wondering if it'll get out to play in the snow this winter...its been there a while.

1436527699_SnawShovelx1024.thumb.jpg.4c1f84018259ab249a35f273af779376.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Just look at the definition on that squall line beautiful (main thing here was the intensity of the rain) Screenshot_20200208_220004.thumb.jpg.d5df9d4e5cdec3d845e7180b6ac40c06.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
13 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Just look at the definition on that squall line beautiful (main thing here was the intensity of the rain) Screenshot_20200208_220004.thumb.jpg.d5df9d4e5cdec3d845e7180b6ac40c06.jpg

Screenshot_20200208_221406_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.821b21a9a77ff91447814d78fccab23f.jpg

Half the days total in an hour, nice squall

• Like 3

Posted

• Like 3

It started off nice here in Dunoon with some sunshine about in the early part of the afternoon but it soon turned cloudy and windy. I went out to the town just after 7pm it was raining very heavy some roads were starting to flood the wind wasn't too bad though it started to ease off around then.

Tomorrow I'm not sure sure what to expect the GFS and Met Office are giving me gusts around 50mph while the BBC weather, ECM and ICON are going for over 80mph gusts.

Edited by Zenarcher
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Thought that said 'OVER 300 GIRLS INSIDE' 

Steady on.

I will pop in with your marketing suggestion..... Sounds like a winner 

• Like 3

Posted

Lost power between 4.20 pm and 8 .30 pm with some fairly strong gusts between 4.00pm and 5.00 pm then heavy rain.   Up till then got a lot of outside jobs done as ground rapidly dried in the wind.  Currently breezy and 3c

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I have been reading some tweets about the increased risk to the central belt tomorrow.

5895F576-D5C9-4D82-A91E-E3C06F013FC9.thumb.jpeg.ac4b0269c7daea699751c5b0033eb135.jpeg
250D03CD-E95B-4127-AB69-3F679AD8F5A5.thumb.jpeg.c5433f15e53a26f52a3aa6dc264f5cbe.jpeg

If that’s the case then I would expect an amber warning soon.

• Like 6

Posted

:spiteful:nmm_uk1-45-36-0.thumb.png.96b4ef08be1988d45d9c77716c9dcf1a.png and because I know @CatchMyDrift loves the euro 4  though I think the wrf will be closer to the mark but interesting that those 2 go for widespread snow as the rest of the short range models not keen so will be an interesting test euro4_uk1-46-54-0.thumb.png.1524358eec8a7131f6d30b376de6e91f.png

• Like 6

Posted

The met and bbc still aren't picking up on that 70-80 mph spell in the central belt at all... both of them have winds peaking in the early afternoon at 50 - 60mph.What are other people seeing that they're not?

• Like 4

Posted

There are now some very different forecasts kicking about for tomorrow.

Both the Met Office and BBC going for 50-60mph for me, but the Met say strongest around 9am whereas the BBC says strongest around lunchtime. 

As others have said, quite a few on social media now suggesting a much stronger spell of 70-80mph, although others go with the Met / BBC solution. What are some seeing that others are not?

All calm here at the moment but very wet. A lot of flooding on the roads being reported locally.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Just finished listening to the main midnight news on BBC Radio 4 and Helen Willits? (sorry if that's not her name) just said in the weather report that they are def looking to upgrade the amber warning to the Central Belt tomorrow afternoon as they might be expecting gusts to reach 85mph in the afternoon. 

You should be able to hear it I think on demand soon on the Sounds app, the last 5 mins of the 30 min midnight news.

• Like 4

Posted

They must be thinking sting jet if they're expecting that sort of jump from what the models are showing, even more so in the afternoon just as the storm starts to move away...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The amount of rain that has fallen is certainly the noteworthy event here so far, the lake on my monoblock has never been so big in the 10 years I have lived here, flooding clearly going to be an issue. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, we had plenty of blusteriness yesterday and a few wee splashes  of rain overnight. Showers have passed through very quickly, thankfully. Still to check rain gauge to see how much rain we've had up here. Still don't know which forecast to go with for today, wind gust forecasts are varying from anything between 45 - 60mph. Certainly a lot of rain overnight as the usual loch has formed outside garage door. Fortunately it drains away very quickly. Highest wind speed I got here was 41.2mph around lunchtime. We only had two mini power blips yesterday so it wasn't really that bad. We'll see what today brings then! Stay safe everyone!

Just checked and emptied rain gauge, two inches of rain since Friday morning. So a slightly damp couple of days then! ☔☔

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 6

Posted

09.00 and it’s still very dark overhead; steady moderate rain, twigs and leaves stock still;  eerily calm with not a hint of wind..yet. 

• Like 3

Posted

First viable casualty of Ciara from the house. Luckily the fence fell between the neighbours car and didn’t cause any damage. 

The birds & squirrels are no where to be seen as the bird feeder is not being touched. Wildlife is hunkering down and us humans probably should as well. Glad the worst of this is hitting at the weekend as I wouldn’t like to cycle in this to work! 

546DA106-9C3E-41F6-8984-25462BD9EA3E.jpeg

• Like 3