Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

My wife's a cold tattie

Been full blast all winter already

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Fear not folks, latest cfs 9 month going for winter in April / May easterlies, sliding lows  cfs-0-1380.thumb.png.8ced3dbab7a578726495f426a34ee04d.pngcfs-2-1734.thumb.png.338fe1ff000dc64cfceb669e9c2dd4b6.png cfs-2-2118.thumb.png.b1bf0103d75d08f895113abbe0e617ee.png cfs-2-1998.thumb.png.86dee6f7e6c012b227f4308ea801cf69.png 

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Get the lamppost watching going in the early hours!
Then yer shorts back out on Sunday! 

60516FB5-F1EA-4FC3-8429-CFF11FE4A357.thumb.png.1b970ef070dc7d0d45ecae48efd84c38.png

What a great climate that would be to live in - one extreme to the other! 

Been a week of odd weather really! Sunny and low 20's at the weekend, heavy rain for 3 days which has led to flooding in some areas (apparently a months rain in 3 days!) and now snow!

(And I still don't like country music)!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

How much would you bet against this with the wonky weather we get these days?

I'll take 4th April 2018 again in a heartbeat! One of the better snow events in a really great winter!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Not happy at all at these charts. I might be old fashioned but I expect winter to come in winter and to stay there

• Like 2

Posted

One of the coldest, if not the coldest, mornings of the winter in NE Fife. Freezing fog widespread and -3c at Leuchars currently.

• Like 6

Posted

Bitter this morning.. Hands freezing as I type this and dog saying hurry the duck up. The cool before the storm hoping not a damp squib here. 

20200207_082122.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
38 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If the 00z GFS is correct then peak gusts will be 60-65mph.

Indeed! Quite a snowy run for Scotland as well - would definitely bank that run! 

I am quite sheltered from a S/SSW wind so I won’t really feel the force of the predicted 60mph gusts (IMBY) tomorrow late afternoon/early evening. (I would need to walk 40 minutes down the road to experience the max winds - which I may do if there is still plenty of light out when the peak gusts arrive!)

Once Storm Ciara arrives Sunday the wind will shift to SW/WSW/W which is a better direction for the wind to hit me here. (Max gusts only about 55/60mph) It looks as though down South will see stronger gusts than most of us.

Monday/Tuesday brings gusts from the WSW/W reaching 50mph. (Quite the event for prolonged strong winds)

I have actually bored myself talking about wind directions now! 

Anyways lots going on over the next few days for many of us - should be some tasty gusts and some huge wintry showers about! Plus if you live over 150/200 meters it’s game on for some settling snow! 

Great outlook if you love a bit of wild weather! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
22 hours ago, edo said:

F f s  mate been loving your work.... Fingers crossed get it sorted 

It's no drunk anymore

Fog bank at my location which shows up nicely on sat image. 

UTM-2020-2-7-10-8-39-551_RGB.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

UKV showing some big snowfall totals by Wednesday especially for the mountains.

186049136_viewimage-2020-02-07T102159_652.thumb.png.9dc4a8f5e102d765aee3ecedf0608e3b.png

• Like 6

Posted

Some really good photos in here again! Easily the best regional thread

The meto are updating warnings, for the snow they are now mentioning more than 20cm of snow for the highest routes by the end of Tuesday - i'd be shocked if that isn't an amber warning for the M74 corridor later on Monday and into Tuesday as that'll be carnage with the strong winds. The only reason I'm guessing they haven't is that its still a few days away and reliant on showers training on the same areas. 

Some of the models going for more than 50 cm of snow for the highest areas...

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
9 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Some really good photos in here again! Easily the best regional thread

The meto are updating warnings, for the snow they are now mentioning more than 20cm of snow for the highest routes by the end of Tuesday - i'd be shocked if that isn't an amber warning for the M74 corridor later on Monday and into Tuesday as that'll be carnage with the strong winds. The only reason I'm guessing they haven't is that its still a few days away and reliant on showers training on the same areas. 

Some of the models going for more than 50 cm of snow for the highest areas...

Yello warning - Heavy snow and strong winds will combine to lead to disruption to travel , especially over higher routes. all of Monday and Tuesday 

"Update to increase likelihood of impacts and to prolong the warning period until the end of Tuesday. Amounts of snow increased." MO  

feb06snowwarnmo.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
32 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

UKV showing some big snowfall totals by Wednesday especially for the mountains.

186049136_viewimage-2020-02-07T102159_652.thumb.png.9dc4a8f5e102d765aee3ecedf0608e3b.png

I’d say that’s entirely for elevated areas. It’s practically a relief map of Scotland.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
31 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I’d say that’s entirely for elevated areas. It’s practically a relief map of Scotland.

Yes those were my thoughts. Not being funny but we have events like this multiple times a year.

Will we see flakes of snow which may lie - Aye

Will said snow be almost immediately on the melt on lower ground - Also Aye 

Love a good storm though so i’m excited for that. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I think this storm started off sounding like a major event, which by the sounds of it could still be for the south of England, And so that got everyone’s hopes up. it’s sounding like nothing that out of the ordinary here now.

What’s also notable about the map posted above is the complete absence of lying snow at sea level or anything close to it, which pretty much ties in with all the other forecasts I’m seeing. We’ll get some wind, but again that’s a 3-4 times a winter event.

I think the only reason it’ll be noteworthy at all is that we’ve had such a boring winter so far. 

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

To be honest i doubt it'll even be the strongest storm this year through the central belt.The one in early Jan brought 60-65 mph winds for a time, none of the forecasts apart from the bbc expect it to reach 60 here.

Posted

Still snowing here in Nashville. Even settling right into the downtown area. No great depths but lovely to see! Looking forward to next week and seeing what happens. Would love the heights in the warnings to drop to 100m though

• Like 7

Posted

Low of -1.1C overnight and a decent day IMG_20200207_133635.thumb.jpg.e2af10652da017785041c69775a16d2b.jpgIMG_20200207_133643.thumb.jpg.60109e8867e5878c62f516db32b71889.jpgIMG_20200207_133651.thumb.jpg.a0772975bc56c0c35944c704e48cc869.jpgIMG_20200207_133714.thumb.jpg.1c0ad365e2b23947ba44efccce16b7a2.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A relatively rare weather event here earlier with freezing fog.

Sun came out late morning and temp has climbed from -1.8C earlier to a still cool 2.6C now. All change tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Norrance said:

A relatively rare weather event here earlier with freezing fog.

Sun came out late morning and temp has climbed from -1.8C earlier to a still cool 2.6C now. All change tomorrow.

got up to a tropical 7.2 C here earlier compared with that  now 6.3 C 

• Like 1

Posted

Yup i hate to be prophet of doom but just seen detailed Met Forecast for local authorities and it is very much horrible weather but nothing to worry about with little to no lying snow at low levels and no real storm damage. What is a bit more noteworthy is that it will be windy for quite a prolonged period of time. That's MO view not mine so just hoping it can upgrade a bit for us to at least bring some exciting weather. 

• Like 4

Posted

A chilly, frosty and foggy start to the day. The frost cleared quickly but the stratus never quite lifted . 

Salt marsh ponds at Montrose Basin this afternoon.

563918620_SMarshMontrose.thumb.jpg.6e68af8c6b2246ab081e9889d5882525.jpg

• Like 5