Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Well it was 1st Feb 2019 (361 days) that I last had snow here although it was as little snow as you can get but still made sure it wasnt a snowless winter, looks like it will definitely pass the 1 year mark just praying it isn't a snowless winter which even here are pretty rare.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I'am glad to see some at least had a covering of snow and for those who didn't I hope you enjoyed the pictures that were posted...I certailnly did.

It was a treat to drive to work today seeing everything covered in a white blanket of snow its a shame it didn't last most of it was gone by the time I got home...never even got to use my snaw shovel.

• Like 5

Posted
13 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

At least you had sleet was all rain here  annoying thing is if it wasn't for that bit of lower pressure and it was just the front moving in more than likely a lot more of us would of had snow.

If you look at the replies to these there are lots of snow pics / vids 

No doubt @Blitzen got snow last night? And @West Highland Storm any snow pics looks like quite a bit up your way 

Really FW got the square root of hee haw, travel a few miles in land much more substantial falls of snow. Tomorrow I've to visit Kingussie that should be fun and games. Will defo supply pics. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Well it was 1st Feb 2019 (361 days) that I last had snow here although it was as little snow as you can get but still made sure it wasnt a snowless winter, looks like it will definitely pass the 1 year mark just praying it isn't a snowless winter which even here are pretty rare.

I haven't seen lying snow here since 4th April 2018!! It's depressing even typing it! Apparently there was a few mm of white slushy muck in March 2019 but I wasn't here. Poor me LOL

Edit: All the above is actually nonsense. Checked back and apparently had a dusting on 1st Feb 2019 too! So memorable an event that I've erased it from memory

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

An unexpected visitor.

Butterflies in January

20200129_095244.jpg

Put it somewhere safe otherwise @bigsnow will quarter it and take photos! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

An unexpected visitor.

Butterflies in January

20200129_095244.jpg

I had 3/4 of one somehow alive on my patio last week.. just does show how mild its been and not real cold spell just 24/48 hour then back to mild. and by the look of it it's all gone boobies up in the mad house after yesterdays charts of the winter and epic cold is set to gain and maintain with some other gumf.. be warned if you go in for a look at the charts etc as there does appear to be a lot of toys and prams flying about this morning.

• Like 5

Posted

And as soon as it's to mild to snaw the precipitation comes rolling in.. thinking of changing my name to NO SNOW!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Did anyone spot this little feature to the West of Lewis yesterday. Polar Low? A little eye in the middle and round and compact. Snow around at least on its East side. Where did it go?

CCC7BB5F-B9DB-4EEB-B2E3-1604F683C2B7.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, run home to Skye on Monday was ok. A little bit of white stuff lying at Crianlarich then basically hail and sleet till we got a few miles north of Fort Willam. I reckon about five inches of lying snow at Invergarry viewpoint. We followed a gritter a good bit along the A87 so going was slow but safe. When we got to Skye.....everything was green apart from the mountain tops and that is now fast disappearing. Back to the usual dreich pish noo and the temp has gone up by about 5 degrees. Got to be the quickest winter ever!

• Like 5

Posted

Right guys and girls im back with yet another firewood question. my landlord turned up at weekend with several silver birch trees he cut down several months ago. iv'e split them (with my axe @Hairy Celt) not with my chop saw. landlord told me to stack them beside my stove to dry them out. this also along with several ash stumps he has had indoors for 3 or 4 years and a massive cherry tree too. the ash has been split and is burning nice and slow and hot. but how long do i leave the cherry and the birch before they are ready to go.?

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Right guys and girls im back with yet another firewood question. my landlord turned up at weekend with several silver birch trees he cut down several months ago. iv'e split them (with my axe @Hairy Celt) not with my chop saw. landlord told me to stack them beside my stove to dry them out. this also along with several ash stumps he has had indoors for 3 or 4 years and a massive cherry tree too. the ash has been split and is burning nice and slow and hot. but how long do i leave the cherry and the birch before they are ready to go.?

Silver Birch is mostly water and take ages to dry out. Leave them outside and covered for a couple of years.

Always leave the bark on Silver Birch, it's full of oil and burns quickly and super hot.

Bang two bits of Cherry together. If you hear a dull  thud, then they aren't seasoned enough. If you hear a light ting noise, you're good to go.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Did anyone spot this little feature to the West of Lewis yesterday. Polar Low? A little eye in the middle and round and compact. Snow around at least on its East side. Where did it go?

Seen it on twitter on a radar animation it pretty much tracked above the northern Isles if I remember correctly. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

Great pictures in here as usual!

Started the day with plenty of snow above 400 meters over on the Cowal Peninsula - cant see now due to low cloud but pretty sure it has all been washed away with the heavy rain and mild temperatures.

My last sea level snowfall/dusting was 16/03/2019.

B721E5AB-AAFE-479E-8F23-A38106D39BEF.thumb.jpeg.17e9ce2a982a1bb2531813b739f8d77e.jpeg

Hopefully February/March delivers something! (April 1st my hunt for warmth/convective weather begins)

Quite a gusty wind here currently - WSW gusts between 35/40 mph.

Bit choppy out on the water...always fun watching it from the window.

Wet, wee bit of wind and mild temperatures here for the next few days...10/11c tomorrow and Friday for example. 
All very...meh...

Enjoy the rest of yer day everyone!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

Rain did ease off a tad but coming down with a vengance again. Won't be the last of the rain next few days either

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

• Like 6

Posted

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Latest GFS in la la land...11th February.

A438FCED-5248-4BD3-9E82-1488FAE2DD1F.thumb.png.255a5743e2702b34d78d0132f10a63e0.pngED5D0C50-84CF-4290-A834-03A2B6CADEEC.thumb.png.b323b449b4379f6575436aa08e55ec36.pngD03CF0DB-6F6C-482A-A246-BC08D7A56B21.thumb.png.1be3d2ebcd7b58a9d9f7143fe77f69b1.pngA8274C74-0A64-4873-BFF9-5962375C564E.thumb.png.ed31189a50d43e31e881086c2e969bba.png

Latest CFS for second week in March...

anim_pgm7.gif

anim_wpg0.gif

Is to too much to ask for!? 

Just need to count this down now into a reliable timeframe. 

• Like 7

Posted

Was surprised to wake up to more snow this morning. Chunky ice welded to the car and a smattering on surfaces. Not a snow day though.

Must record 28/01 as the twenty third air frost at 0.0C. Marv.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Latest GFS in la la land...11th February.

A438FCED-5248-4BD3-9E82-1488FAE2DD1F.thumb.png.255a5743e2702b34d78d0132f10a63e0.pngED5D0C50-84CF-4290-A834-03A2B6CADEEC.thumb.png.b323b449b4379f6575436aa08e55ec36.pngD03CF0DB-6F6C-482A-A246-BC08D7A56B21.thumb.png.1be3d2ebcd7b58a9d9f7143fe77f69b1.pngA8274C74-0A64-4873-BFF9-5962375C564E.thumb.png.ed31189a50d43e31e881086c2e969bba.png

Latest CFS for second week in March...

anim_pgm7.gif

anim_wpg0.gif

Is to too much to ask for!? 

Just need to count this down now into a reliable timeframe. 

That will be a fantastic Birthday present for me.. counting down the days till 11th Feb what can go wrong?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

BBC 2 8pm

Winter watch live from Cairngorm. 

We've all been on Winter Watch for at least 2 months now with no luck, so what chance of the BBC finding it? 

Largely dull and uninteresting here today, with the rain moving in when I was driving home late afternoon. 3C at the time but precious little sign of it turning anything white, even on the hills around Alford. 

• Like 4