Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
6 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Nice to see the photos and reports! 

Currently on the train between Glasgow and Edinburgh wishing it was light! 

Needless to say not expecting to see anything white in coastal NE Fife! @Norrance how did you do in Dundee? 

It snowed heavily for a time around midnight but turned back to sleety rain. The remaining slight cover then froze so very icy this morning. I am told that it was rain in the Ferry though 

Shaded bits up the road still got a cover so took photo as it may be all we see here this Winter. You never know though, something like the following chart may happen

BF56449D-7284-41B9-A791-5C7E0013F317.jpeg

FE83EA90-CA73-4FD7-BFCA-1D8B4EB631CD.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
12 hours ago, 101_North said:

I did....... Sleety pish

At least you had sleet was all rain here  annoying thing is if it wasn't for that bit of lower pressure and it was just the front moving in more than likely a lot more of us would of had snow.

If you look at the replies to these there are lots of snow pics / vids 

No doubt @Blitzen got snow last night? And @West Highland Storm any snow pics looks like quite a bit up your way 

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

It snowed heavily for a time around midnight but turned back to sleety rain. The remaining slight cover then froze so very icy this morning. I am told that it was rain in the Ferry though

I moved back to the East Neuk of Fife because the snow risk in the Ferry was too high! 

Looking at the range of conditions with even small changes in altitude/topography, it was a forecasters' nightmare.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Not thawing here at all.  Mobile library lady couldn't get up my hill on foot or in the van, she phoned me to say the road was sheet ice and lethal.

• Like 9

Posted

temps.thumb.png.bce1685cf264e43b2e37ac8e9f4a4bab.pngpressure.thumb.png.fca191d762d9d9483f97ecf824e3f83c.png The temperature / dew point and pressure charts from my weather station last night clearly showing that lower pressure meaning it was game over for any snow as pressure fell and the temps rose then when the pressure began to rise a slight fall again in temps. 

16 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

The charts are looking good as we head into next week especially for the north and east.

2 hours ago, Norrance said:

You never know though, something like the following chart may happen

FE83EA90-CA73-4FD7-BFCA-1D8B4EB631CD.jpeg

Right then it will be you 2 that we blame if it all goes wrong  

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Boom charts from the 12z GFS. the beast is coming.. BFTE here we go. all aboard the looney train.

It certainly is outstanding, with my main worry being that the Op run is at the bottom of the pack throughout. 

graphe3_1000___-2.7397_57.265_.gif

Then again it's been in the lower end of the spread for a few runs now. Higher resolution compared to the ensemble runs hopefully making it more accurate? 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

It certainly is outstanding, with my main worry being that the Op run is at the bottom of the pack throughout. 

graphe3_1000___-2.7397_57.265_.gif

Then again it's been in the lower end of the spread for a few runs now. Higher resolution compared to the ensemble runs hopefully making it more accurate? 

Have seen it many times with the GFS (FV3) especially 18z runs and has been discussions before highlighting it's cold bias so I am always dubious and tend to stick with the ensembles which haven't been updated to the FV3  yet (and GEM ensembles) 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Temperature dropped to 2.5c here and there is still some hefty (snow? / rain?) showers about. Latest satellite pass below. 

1569.jpg

1569_1.jpg

1569_2.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Sorry to break it to you but the Easter Eggs have been in the shops for weeks Always the same. When I worked for Sainbury's we used to swap the Freefrom Xmas stuff directly for Easter stuff.

Christmas eve without fail that roll pallet of cream eggs & mini eggs would turn up ready to slot into the seasonal Aisle !

• Like 5

Posted

A dusting overnight survived inthe shade all day Nice wintry look to the hills and sky round the Firth today. Still think we have not seen the last of winter. February used to the frostiest month of winter 40 odd years ago. Ground still slowly drying out. Cows ran down the the neep field yesterday kicking up a bit of dust as they went .Currently 2c and overcast

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

it's getting hard to understand the utter gibberish being posted in the mad house tonight... it rubbish oh no it's not oh yes it is, then something about gains and momentum watch and wait see this see that.... how the hell is a semi normal person meant to make sense of it. i await another round in the morning.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
55 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

it's getting hard to understand the utter gibberish being posted in the mad house tonight... it rubbish oh no it's not oh yes it is, then something about gains and momentum watch and wait see this see that.... how the hell is a semi normal person meant to make sense of it. i await another round in the morning.

Semi normal people look at one run (good or bad) and take it for what it is... One run! It's the 'usual suspects' that go all extreme snowmageddon or winter's over, and are therefore best ignored. Our creator of cryptic posts on the other hand is best looked on as light amusement or, more likely, bemusement. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
52 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Wait until they're talking about something 3-5 days out. Whilst model outputs in the 7-10day range can be predicted correctly its far less likely it'll come off. Nearly 20 years on here plus time on other forums before that (Wtf?) has taught me that despite the improvement in model performance over that time! 

• Like 5