Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

pub run going off on one.. another let down coming straight up in the morning when its gone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
18 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Some places could see snow from Sunday onwards, temperatures not looking cold, but may just be low enough at times for snow to push down to 200-300m above sea level. 

Just give it another week from then... What could go wrong.... GFS 18z always verifies. 

Screenshot_20200121-232208_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

In Luxembourg this week with work and it's at least seasonal! -3c this morning, same again tonight and possibly -5c later this week. Today was beautiful. Blue sky, no breeze, chilly.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Hmmm ten days away...chances of happening <10%...chance of flipping >90% you never know just for once it might happen, my snaw shovel is poised ready for action.

I found this site lots of chart info to look at - https://www.wxcharts.com/?panel=large&model=gfs,gfs,gfs,gfs&region=sco&chart=overview,winteroverview,accprecip,2mtemp&run=12&step=003&plottype=10&lat=51.500&lon=-0.250&skewtstep=0

Loving the pictures folks some cracking shots.

• Like 2

Posted

Maybe this will help snow to arrive Aurora Storm has just been on about Betelgeuse  ( A dimming red giant).  If it happens  to explode then we look as though we will   have two suns during the day. Might take our minds off climate change for a few days.

The latest thoughts 

"If it did occur, it would become the brightest supernova ever observed. In a matter of days, it would become as bright as the full moon, be visible during day time and be bright enough at night to cast shadows on Earth.

Betelgeuse would then start a phase of final, rapid dimming and again reach its current brightness level after possibly three years. After six years, it would be too faint to see with the naked eye. This would forever alter the visual appearance of Orion and we might need to think of another object the remaining constellation might represent."

I find this fascinating . It might happen in the next two weeks or in the next 100000years.

• Like 9

Posted

And just like that 0z GFS sobers up the party started by the pub run..

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, bigsnow said:

And just like that 0z GFS sobers up the party started by the pub run..

The 0z isn't the worse, at least it's looking flatter out until 300h. Many periods in there with isotherms around -5 or even lower, which is enough for many of us to see rain turning into snow. 

The ensembles are looking close to average too.

external.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is everyone having a long lie?

Aye, a bit like the winter. Hopefully that wakes up soon and brings us all bright eyed and excited with it.

Agree with @edinburgh_1992 that this mornings models aren't awful, even if they aren't remotely close to being as exciting as the GFS 18z was.

Dry, partially cloudy and a bit of a breeze here this morning. No idea on the temp as I'm working from home today so haven't ventured beyond the front door yet.

• Like 2

Posted

Puttng new belts on the neep harvester at the front of a shed this morning..Had to take jersey off in the warm sunshine.Currently 12c

• Like 5

Posted

Yet another cracking day, not often you can say that in Scotland.

Virtually no wind, patchy cloud and its currently 13.0c and sunny - feeling very spring like indeed.

If a proper winter is not going to show up, this alternative is a very worthy replacement.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not quite as warm here but bright sunshine again at 9.5C. 
My wife has just found a wasp in the bathroom which flew off out of the window. January?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

This will be me at the end of winter if it does end snowless  

• Like 3

Posted

12.7c above freezing... wow thats madness. would much prefer -12.7c. but not gonna happen this winter by the looks of things. roll on spring i say, i would love to be wrong but i just cant see any proper winter weather turning up. 24 hour blink and you miss it stuff does not float my boat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, Norrance said:

My wife has just found a wasp in the bathroom which flew off out of the window. January?

I was buzzed by a bee whilst hanging out washing this morning so took a walk up the garden to look at the 4 hives.

All four had bees coming and going, the 2 most exposed to the sun had a substantial amount outside. Not unusual even for Jan if its mild, but not great if it stays mild. Nice for them to get out for some exercise, but also means they will be using more energy and therefore getting through thier food stores quicker. Obviously there's nothing for them to forage on at this point. At the weekend we'll have to check the extra tubs of fondant we put on top of the hives. 

• Like 7

Posted

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I can only recall seeing nacreous clouds once in Scotland over NE Fife about 12 to 15 years ago. Took some photos but no idea where they are now.

Today took a walk down by the river with a view of taking photos of the Sunset but camera died before I got to the view point. Managed one from the bird spotting area before that happened. Quite comfy walking down there in shorts despite this being supposedly the coldest part of the year.

D6D53833-A371-42D9-B2F6-37E883472CA2.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Same here, I was up near St Andrews...I think it was around 2000. Very eerie!

• Like 3

Posted

Another mild, sunny day. Cloud cover increased late afternoon with some ground fog developing.

@Ravelin not seen any honey bees around, hope yours keep safe. Some of the bumble variety have been spotted out and about locally. A few little ‘clouds’ of annoying midges have hatched in the garden over the past few days and are keen on homing in on my face and neck.

@Northernlights Still very soggy underfoot here.  I noticed neeps were being lifted manually here a couple of days ago, maybe in respect of an increased demand for Burn’s night suppers?

• Like 4

Posted

@Norrance @General Cluster some of the Scotland / UK previous nacreous cloud sightings 

Nacreous clouds (1)

30CFBB0D00000578-0-image-a-124_145442495
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

It is thought that recent storms may have increased the chances of the clouds forming over the UK, particularly in Scotland, by driving...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/84961-nacreous-clouds/&ved=2ahUKEwj1rP366pfnAhVQQkEAHSnMDKkQFjAKegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3lliAVoE-jHNx2tUiBfMDP

• Like 7

Posted

Right it's 9c above freezing and I've just followed a grittier that was spreading on the road from largue to Rothienorman. I'm not the brightest in the world but what the f**k is that all about..

• Like 4

Posted

It was so mild today I took the motorbike into work today. Not out of the ordinary for January but it doesn’t happen often. 

After years of relying on my phone camera I’ve decided to bite the bullet and buy a proper camera. Panasonic Lumix FZ330 Bridge Camera. Slightly older model but seems like a solid camera. Will do everything I need. Means I will be inflicting more photos on you all. Sorry!

It is my 18th wedding anniversary this weekend and my wife booked us a 3 night break at a lodge overlooking Loch Lomond so I will have a great place to find my way around the camera. Booked so far in advance that she & I didn’t know that it now coincides with the busiest weekend of the year work wise so far...

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, ciel said:

Another mild, sunny day. Cloud cover increased late afternoon with some ground fog developing.

@Ravelin not seen any honey bees around, hope yours keep safe. Some of the bumble variety have been spotted out and about locally. A few little ‘clouds’ of annoying midges have hatched in the garden over the past few days and are keen on homing in on my face and neck.

@Northernlights Still very soggy underfoot here.  I noticed neeps were being lifted manually here a couple of days ago, maybe in respect of an increased demand for Burn’s night suppers?

Ground is slowly  drying out here too.We are trying to eat out the wettest areas of the neep field with the cows and leaving the driest area to harvest mechanically. Have a friend from college days in your neck of the woods and he said at Christmas they had done very little winter ploughing as ground so wet. Very mild day again here sheep shifted to fresh field with a  couple of inches of new growth. Currently 9c

• Like 4

Posted

2013 brought decent snowfalls to parts of Scotland particularly in January and March. The higher parts of Dundee had similar depths to Nov/December 2010 in January 2013 and the snow was quite widespread. Here is Kenmore post office 7 years ago  today. By late evening when thesnow died out that area had over 45cms.

12D8D0FC-BB33-4091-9594-A56012E8FAFD.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 9