Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
21 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Temperatures soaring again after the weekend. I can only see up to Monday via Met Office.

High pressure based to our [Scotland) South with mild South Westerlies particularly into NW Scotland. Possible inversion nearer the high which won't help the skiing areas at all.

3A42767E-2C53-4749-A721-CB8B0539D099.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Norrance said:

High pressure based to our [Scotland) South with mild South Westerlies particularly into NW Scotland. Possible inversion nearer the high which won't help the skiing areas at all.

Very frustrating, particularly for the operators of the ski centres who can ill afford another poor season.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Very frustrating, particularly for the operators of the ski centres who can ill afford another poor season.

Who could think that operating a ski centre in Scotland is a good business idea these days though?  Some sort of manic optimist?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Who could think that operating a ski centre in Scotland is a good business idea these days though?  Some sort of manic optimist?

Sort of folk you meet on here you mean then.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

There are some splendid snawy pics in here today (although there’s always a lot of pretty pics in here). 

Should no snow fall here down South during this Winter, I may have to take a trip to Scotland to see some of that white stuff. And I might even take a ginormous freezer bag with me, steal all of Scotland’s snow, stuff it in the bag and take it all back South with me! :spiteful:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I spent a fair bit of money up there in October on the tubing and in the cafe.... Kids had a magic time so a few more ideas like the tubing will be needed if snaw is becoming extinct

• Like 5

Posted
8 hours ago, edo said:

I spent a fair bit of money up there in October on the tubing and in the cafe.... Kids had a magic time so a few more ideas like the tubing will be needed if snaw is becoming extinct

Cairngorm were looking into installing a dry ski slope with floodlights. That would definitely improve year round income.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Flying canoe located and will be rescued when the crap weather calms doon a bit! Was dry and calm overnight but we did have a few lightning flashes around 10pm. Back to the usual horizontal sleet and rain now. 

• Like 6

Posted
14 hours ago, Norrance said:

The latest Met Office forecast is for rain tomorrow for the Scottish ski centres. Latest Webcam images are so so. The high winds are scouring the upper mountain again. Cairngorm expect to have the beginner runs open for the weekend with the aid of artificial snow.

Here's Glencoe at 1100 mts asl, scouring evident and not much depth.

By next week the hills could be back to brown again.

sledge.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Wild wind here in braemar and rain just started. Horrible day.

• Like 6

Posted

Howling wind on the local hills, buffering around the summits. Cold enough to swap into a merino wool base layer. Soft shell on top earning its keep today.

Evidence of snow around 400 mts asl

20200115_114600.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 6

Posted

Baltic cycle this morning. That wind cut me in half! Stopped feeling sorry for myself after witnessing some Muppet reverse into the canal

Driver left 'waist deep' after driving into Edinburgh's Union Canal during morning rush hour

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted

Breezy old day in NE Fife, latest reading from Leuchars: WSWly 36mph gusting 47mph. Temperature 7c/2c so around average but feeling cool in the wind.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

First Snaw symbol of the winter has just popped up on the BBC for me. its only 11 days away.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
18 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Some impressive high temperatures being reported by NW:

Screenshot_20200115-142916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thats taps aff weather   currently 7.6 C and sunny here but really gusty and looking at the radar that rain slowly approaching from the NW 

• Like 2

Posted

Surprisingly stormy night last night, enough to knock over the rubbish bin and scatter the contents to the four winds 

Strong gusty winds a continuing feature today - the weather station says its 6.8c but it feels perishingly cold outside, though the strong wind is drying up the ground well.

Dry so far but the sunny start to the day has been replaced by threatening black cloud rolling in from the W.

• Like 6

Posted

Not quite taps aff in Caithness although there was a guy here working on a culvert in just a t-shirt a while back. Personally I thought today felt colder than yesterday with a stiff Mandy Breeze this morning.  The frost has finally lifted though at 5C. As yesterday, a mostly clear sky. No frost forecast tonight....

• Like 5

Posted

A further couple of inches fell from the snow showers yesterday evening in to last night, though since early morning it’s been alternating lashing sleet, sometimes sideways sleet and now heavy rain. Combined with some raw winds, pretty hellish stuff 

• Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Ooooof, did he not have a cold bottom?

I wish this breeze would do one, it's just a pest now.

There may be members that would appreciate pictorial evidence but decency (for once) prevails.

Try longjohns. (The mention of which might encourage @Blitzen out of the shadows.)

• Like 1