Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

That squall has just gone through here now. Still gusty but rain and some hail easing.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

The wind picked up really quickly with hail bouncing of the windows...a rumble or two of thunder as well.

All of a sudden its calmed down...the weather is a strange beast indeed.

Is that a little bit of hope for cold I see over in the daft thread or just another one of their mad ramps that disintegrate along with the cold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Heavy snow in braemar.. just back from a 700 mile round trip to Yorkshire, took 45 mins to get up the hill at glenshee, really need to get winter tyres! Maybe 3in of snow on the road and not been gritted. A1 wasnt bad at all, but saw flashes of lightning over fife, wind howling here but awning still up, very blustery.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

One flash of lightning and thunder last night, must've been the same one you all heard. Then heavy rain or hail, now calm and 3C.

• Like 6

Posted

Saturated again this morning after a night of heavy sleet showers . Snow lying down to 200m  with a ground frost developing here under clear skies out of the wind.       Currently  1.5c

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
13 hours ago, ciel said:

I love watching the weather too, but I also like trying to understand the causes of weather? A difficult subject for me.

It is all about watching and being out in the open/exposed to the elements during the weather for me...heat, cold, thunderstorms, severe gales or anything extreme. (I love to be in the thick of the action)

Causes of weather as we all know is the transfer of energy between the Sun, Earth’s surface and the Atmosphere. (Unless all the books I read in my early teens are telling lies! )

I am not one for worrying about anything else weather related...each to their own though. (We all have different preferences, viewpoints and have an interest in different areas of everything weather related)

Still a bit windy here today but bright and cool at 5c.

F49B52D9-C1D5-4B80-9555-5BA73980D29E.thumb.jpeg.d2f6de8f0426b05d2e6ebb4e289e222b.jpeg

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 5

Posted

Just about 11 last night really close flash of lightning and immediate thunder in Bellshill.  Heavy hail for a few minutes too.  Interesting wee period.

82315110_485238749058741_4088406672169500672_n.jpg

82573979_581630432676649_8617142973596958720_n.jpg

Edited by Rickoza67
  • Like 6

Posted
On 09/01/2020 at 22:10, Steve Murr said:

wipeout for Scotland >100/150M

50cm!

8E51A358-DD4F-4AE6-9B20-DBCFC57B8BFD.thumb.png.ed7c994b3ef4d2ed1f18e035faba7713.png918FEE04-E780-4F3E-853D-9184A1533FAF.thumb.png.f2690071eff6b6d94385e2f76b002e03.png

I live at 165m asl, and theres no snow here.

Here's Braemar this morning 335m asl.

image.jpg

This is up from Corgarff castle up Strathdon. The snow gates sit around 450m asl.

image-1.jpg

Not exactly a wipeout.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted

After that 1 flash and bang the showers kept going throughout the night (quite a few with hail) needless to say sleep was disrupted

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny here so far this morning at 3C. Showers are mainly in the West and it is the West and Central Highlands that are getting most of the snow showers. Here is a view towards Schiehallion looking East from Loch Rannoch showing snow showers over the hill. Snow level appears to be around or just over 200 mtrs asl. 

9D18C45D-248B-48F8-9C12-8312B1ED448E.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

I live at 165m asl, and theres no snow here.

Here's Braemar this morning 335m asl.

image.jpg

This is up from Corgarff castle up Strathdon. The snow gates sit around 450m asl.

image-1.jpg

Not exactly a wipeout.

Hasnt started yet.

Also thats why it was >150M as you cannot specify an exact height 4-5 days away with 150M being the min height at best.

What do you expect a 5 day forecast for your doorstep? > Final track looks slightly east of original plots so you might be lucky seeing as the PPN map clearly focussed in western Scotland.

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

It is all about watching and being out in the open/exposed to the elements during the weather for me...heat, cold, thunderstorms, severe gales or anything extreme. (I love to be in the thick of the action)

Causes of weather as we all know is the transfer of energy between the Sun, Earth’s surface and the Atmosphere. (Unless all the books I read in my early teens are telling lies! )

I am not one for worrying about anything else weather related...each to their own though. (We all have different preferences, viewpoints and have an interest in different areas of everything weather related)

Still a bit windy here today but bright and cool at 5c.

F49B52D9-C1D5-4B80-9555-5BA73980D29E.thumb.jpeg.d2f6de8f0426b05d2e6ebb4e289e222b.jpeg

Have a good day everyone!

Diverse weather interests are not necessarily mutually exclusive. 

My personal preferences are for spring with its freshness, long summer daylight hours and warm sunshine, although I don’t mind bright winter frosty days.  However this does not exclude, as I rather simplistically state, an interest and curiosity in regard to the development of different weather scenarios.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Hasnt started yet.

Also thats why it was >150M as you cannot specify an exact height 4-5 days away with 150M being the min height at best.

What do you expect a 5 day forecast for your doorstep? > Final track looks slightly east of original plots so you might be lucky seeing as the PPN map clearly focussed in western Scotland.

The snow started yesterday afternoon for parts of Scotland. Not sure why you think it hasn't?

Drumochter pass this morning:

image.jpeg.jpg

A wee pointer, 50cm accumulations are generally reserved for mid mountain and higher in Scotland. Looking at the latest forecast, around a foot for Nevis and Glencoe ski centres. The vast majority of Scots wont see a flake, which is in line with the Mets forecast issued a week ago.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted

Chilly with drizzly pish sums it up here for today. Should get heavier as the day goes on. Lovely. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

From some of the posts that have had to be hidden, let’s do try keep the Scotland thread friendly please. Tar  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Surprised by this given the images from Cairngorm webcams:

Screenshot_20200114-181803_Twitter.jpg

It s mostly blown off West facing slopes and open hillsides I think. More snow to come in the next few days but I am not liking the look after next weekend.

• Like 2

Posted

Down to 1.6°C in the heavy sleet earlier. The analysis since Sunday in here nailed it correctly for me. 

• Like 4

Posted

Unbelievable:

Cairngorm-Rescue-Team-going-up-to-Ben-El
WWW.THECOURIER.CO.UK

A mountain rescue team leader has blasted an injured walker who sparked a major rescue in the Cairngorms during Storm Brendan.

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Norrance said:

It s mostly blown off West facing slopes and open hillsides I think. More snow to come in the next few days but I am not liking the look after next weekend.

Temperatures soaring again after the weekend. I can only see up to Monday via Met Office.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lovely sunny day in Caithness with little wind at 3C max. The frost lifted in most parts but it's dropped back a degree or so since the sun set.

• Like 3