Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes
25 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The wind direction on Tuesday was SWly:

944151017_Screenshot_20200113-152446_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.022797405c61fac8f0ae2327be70d9bc.jpg

The section of the A1 which was closed runs almost directly west to east, so it was more likely an effect off the Lammermuirs than any "funnel". I remain to be convinced that any real funnel exists, for example the M8 is at sea level in Glasgow then takes the lowest route west-east which tops out at 260m near Harthill. Hills to the north and south are 300m+. There's plenty of friction to disrupt/affect the wind.

I've never seen wind readings which would back up any claims of a "Forth-Clyde valley funnel" effect but happy to be proved wrong. 

Indeed and the Met Office did not issue a wind warning on Tuesday for the Central Belt of the Scotland. The A1 must have been affected by the SW wind bouncing over the Lammermuirs under certain (stable?) atmospheric conditions. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Horrendous up here, awful - wind screaming and howling round the hoose.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Seemed to peak between 3 and 4pm here, winds dropped a bit now.They were maxing out at about 55 mph earlier.

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 6

Posted

Windy yes but maybe not as bad as you'd expect? The rain thankfully nowhere near as bad as friday/saturday's but still wet

• Like 4

Posted

Horrendus late afternoon here with some really violent gusts.   2 inch diameter branches being snapped off trees. Could hardly open  steading or tractor cab doors and steading roof and slates being sucked up and then crashing down . Was going out but feel us and the car would be better at home till wind dies  down.

Still very windy, overcast, dry and 6c

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

And you just know there will be some lunatics needing rescued from the Scottish hills over the next few days.

Anyone on Cairngorm summit?

image.thumb.png.fc6612aacc03ada9be0649673fa8a9d6.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Those are some intense looking snow streamers being shown for the Great Glen, cant recall seeing examples of a streamer in that area before?  anim_hkl3.thumb.gif.9167f8fb13782cf1787448fac127bb15.gif nmm_uk1-45-36-3.thumb.png.7935be326eff3b12c2386e2767ab8211.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I had to get the coal in, and thought a train was coming - but it was the wind, roaring. Never heard it that loud before . Usualy roars through the pines up the hill but this was right beside the houses here. Rain battering the windows. I've shut the blinds and curtains which I never ever do.

• Like 7

Posted

Stormy to say the least with the rain almost horizontal.  Also a 2 minute powercut which is unusual for here.

Surrealy a skein of geese just went over the house!

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Stormy to say the least with the rain almost horizontal.  Also a 2 minute powercut which is unusual for here.

Surrealy a skein of geese just went over the house!

Forecast is for the winds to ease back around 9pm but staying windy up here for the next few days.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here is the Braighe road in Lewis a couple of hours ago. Picture by Roderick Maclean. I take it that it was closed.

Here we have missed the worst of the wind and there was only a short burst of heavier rain. Only high sided vehicles are not allowed on the bridge so no gusts over 60mph possibly as it is much less exposed than with a westerly.

595C3275-2727-499C-BA46-7E0B008CED4E.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Was a pretty hairy commute both this morning and this afternoon. Set off for Edinburgh at the ridiculously early hour of 6.30, found some black ice and drove sideways round a roundabout. No other cars in sight luckily. I was quite surprised though. This evening had a wet and windy return along the M9, not the worst trip ever but not masses of fun either.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Windy enough as the wife and I unintentionally coordinated our arrival home at 4:30pm for us to have to 'rescue' the bins from the bottom of the driveway and stick them in the garage. First time we've had to do that in this house, but the wind was whistling up the road at just the right angle that they had no shelter or support. 

Rain not too heavy, but occasionally we'll hear it rattling off the windows at the front of the house. Heavy enough though to regret not having filled up the wood basket yesterday rather than having to pay a visit to the wood store tonight. 

GFS 6Z and 12Z both looking much more promising at the end, but that's still a VERY long way out so better not get excited. 

• Like 6

Posted

Lovely ride home this evening! Not the worst wind ever but very gusty. Hard work! Some pretty large branches down on the Water of Leith! Managed to avoid the rain so thankfull for that

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Insane stuff between 3pm and sunset - absolutely blasted with hail just after 4pm. 

I will give Storm Brendan 6 out of 10 for effort!

This is why I love the weather! 

Ye can stick yer three days of lowland snowfall per Winter up yer backsides! 

AD504BE0-B954-46C8-8208-D520EEEB7969.thumb.jpeg.bf10809807b00c8fe259555ccd23dbe8.jpeg23BB946E-DB35-4797-8350-E2C4F32D12B3.thumb.jpeg.d05ea40b120a23a73b8f5ec63ceb5eba.jpegD9CFEC98-7398-4872-8350-BF5B22B3069A.thumb.jpeg.ec70e9f5c221c78d41a0ee078ae2d435.jpegD6702180-C4C3-4605-B99B-BE21283DC749.thumb.jpeg.26a78bbaa6a461e976ae29751de0764b.jpeg266EF5C4-8580-4084-802A-35F2D6E38C2A.thumb.jpeg.57738d35f6d8aaf7023422b601368575.jpeg

I love watching the weather too, but I also like trying to understand the causes of weather? A difficult subject for me.

• Like 4

Posted

Hairy drive home for me too. 50mph max on the A roads. Then coming down the hill after Mountain Cross +BANG+, something was catapulted onto the car roof from the roadside trees. Haven't been out with torch to check her over yet - but couldn't see anything immediately. Fingers crossed..... 

• Like 9