Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
35 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

The central belt wind funnel quite evident on that last chart Mr Frost . Makes me wonder why it isn’t included in the warning today. Not as severe as the Firth of Clyde area by any means but given the risk to transport and the population affected, a wee yellow warning may have brought home the need to take some care. Unless part of their thinking is connected to the expected tides perhaps - surprised ScotRail haven’t pulled the plug on the Ardrossan service during high tide already today.

Indeed mate! It is a strange one - Glasgow city centre could see gusts of 50mph (between 15:00/16:00) if these charts come off.

I have the day off work so I’m debating walking down the coast a bit (Lunderston Bay - 40 minutes walk from my house or even go a bit further along) to experience a bit of weather action at last! It has been a quiet Winter with regards to severe gale events - today the most extreme so far with gusts of 60 to 65mph just down the road. (Much higher over to the Western Isles)

We shall see how it all turns out. 

Edit: @CatchMyDrift I think he just means the speed increasing through the high rise buildings/narrow streets of Glasgow City Centre ect ect - wind direction switching between SSE/S/SSW in Glasgow urban areas thus a wee bit of a funnel increase. (Although I could be talking dog biscuits and he means nothing of the sort/has a totally different meaning) 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

I think It's going to get very busy in here this week with the snow starved UK looking for any signs of winter

I for one am excited to see those of you in the favoured location and with elevation posting some snowy pics...please post some snowy pics! lol

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

Husband swears his head off about the messy roads here but I think myself that farmers have enough to do without sweeping the roads as well.

Actually hiring a road sweeper when you farm on an industrial scale is small beer. Even a rotary brush on a telescopic loader bucket is not that expensive. You know its getting bad when some of your smaller farming neighbours complain about the slurry spilt onto the road which could be meassured in inches and left a lingering smell and sticky layer on their cars.And Ciel is right it is illegal but enforcement is poor.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just had a very interesting drive home from Portree. Brendan beginning to bare his teeth. Biggest wind gust so far 40mph at 11.11. Worse to come. I am now bedded in by the fire with tea and scone and strawberry jam. Lights have flickered a few times since 11 0'clock when I got home. A day of knitting and puzzler magazines I think. At least it isn't cold or raining....yet! See you on the other side. ?️

• Like 8

Posted
On 12/01/2020 at 11:01, bigsnow said:

Somebody in the mad house mentioned Greenland High.... im off to get my bread and milk. 

MAD thread foaming at the mouth again. Winter 1947 being touted and that's before Scotland is "buried with snow" this week.

What could possibly go wrong

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Looks like the worst of Brendan will pass through the central belt between 2pm and 4pm, i think the upper gusts might have been underestimated a bit as it's already reaching about 45 mph.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, the canoe which was securely tied down in my garden  now resides in my neighbours croft where it will stay until later this week when the winds die down.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
40 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

MAD thread foaming at the mouth again. Winter 1947 being touted and that's before Scotland is "buried with snow" this week.

Is that Mirror And Daily Express??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Is that Mirror And Daily Express??

But, what you pessimists fail to appreciate, is that 'the next 1947' has been 'just around the corner' since...1948!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

I am all for the current enthusiasm and positivity in the MOD thread - has been a bleak Winter for cold/snow prospects so far. (It’s good to see some snowy charts showing in the later stages of runs - severely lacking in recent times)

Plus reading the same negative stuff from the same five members everyday since December was beginning to grind my gears.

As for Scotland being buried in snow this week...unless you live up a mountain that won’t be happening.

Let’s be honest...last Winter was a disaster for cold/snow...this Winter has been no different.

We are all in the same boat with regards to the above. (UK and Ireland)

The majority of members on this forum and in this Scottish thread have not seen a snowflake this Winter and barely seen one last Winter - above 200 meters is the place to be for snowfall (400 meters for sustained snow cover)

Hopefully end of January/February or even March delivers a widespread lowland snowfall event - although it seems to be harder to achieve nowadays!

It has been a tough gig being a snow/cold lover since the BFTE in February/March 2018 - it’s been crap since! 

I am off to enjoy Scotland’s bog standard Winter weather...wind, rain and a temperature of 8c! 

Ah to live in Lapland.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's a southerly wind with gusts up to 60mph, not sure how it is getting funnelled?

Aye okay maybe it isn’t then. My impression was that the geography of the central belt made it conducive to amplifying wind events. The chart that was posted showed a strip of land with higher gusts than the areas around it, which mainly corresponded to the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor. 

• Like 1

Posted

The weather station says its 5.6c but its blowing a hoolie out there and it feels well below freezing thanks to the wind chill.

Wind really picked up in the last half hour, very gusty - this looks like being a damaging storm.

Dry at the moment though suspect that will not last long.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Quinach said:

The weather station says its 5.6c but its blowing a hoolie out there and it feels well below freezing thanks to the wind chill.

Wind really picked up in the last half hour, very gusty - this looks like being a damaging storm.

Dry at the moment though suspect that will not last long.

I just arrived back home and that wind is cold. The hive controller inside the house was reading 9C.

Currently 5C, wind increasing and rain not far away.

The Met Office have yellow warnings out for parts of Scotland tomorrow - ice and snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
30 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Aye okay maybe it isn’t then. My impression was that the geography of the central belt made it conducive to amplifying wind events. The chart that was posted showed a strip of land with higher gusts than the areas around it, which mainly corresponded to the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor. 

The usual funnelling for the Central Belt is in a westerly, like last Tuesday. The winds rattle in off the Atlantic and zoom through the lower parts (less friction than the mountains) west to east. Often hits the A1 badly. Picking up a bit here now in East Lothian

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

SEPA Warnings today and tomorrow 

"Storm Brendan will bring strong winds, creating storm surges and high waves over the next two days.

The combination of high spring tides and sustained winds will create an unusual and dangerous combination of tide, storm surge and inshore waves. There is a risk of coastal flooding of road and rail routes in all Scotland’s coastal areas. We are placing a particular focus on communities around the Ayrshire coast, Oban, Lochaber (Fort William, Corpach, Coal), the Western Isles, Orkney, and the east Caithness coast." 

jan13brendanSEPA3.png

• Like 4

Posted

Just been out for a lunchtime walk in Greenock. Certainly wet but winds are nothing of note yet. I had expected it to be a bit blustery by now at least.

• Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I've had elm in the past and found it was unsplittable so if it's being offered in big, seasoned rounds, DON'T buy unless you have a hydraulic splitter on a PTO.  My favourite woods are ash and sycamore, both really easy to split and quick to dry.

Absolutely agreed.

You can't go wrong with seasoned ash. I can burn it in the stove for days, no smoke at the flue top and the stove glass remains soot free. I never have to clean the stove glass.

Crystal clear.

The neighbours stoves down the road belch white/grey smoke non stop. Christ knows what they're burning.

20200113_140911.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

As for Scotland being buried in snow this week...unless you live up a mountain that won’t be happening.

Looks like the Great Glen will be the sweet spot @West Highland Storm get yer sledge oot! Foot + of snow in best spots, looks like my punt for Dalwhinnie wont be a bad bet either nmm_uk1-45-36-0.thumb.png.12adfec224dfdb3d15b75df082806b4a.png Possibility of some thunder for the western isles too. 

• Like 4

Posted

Pretty wild out there now, found someone's bin in the garden and there are branches and other debris on the roads.

Rain and  5C.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted

Craigievar castle Alford on a winter's day. The Disney fairytale castle was inspired by Craigievar.

343f276a43dd853ba29d2ca6f08ed142.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloud has been thickening and wind increasing gradually all day. 6C now up from 2C earlier this morning. Wind already gusting and starting to blow things around. It was food bin day around here today and already there are quite a number blown down the street. 
A threatening sky now with the trees swaying in the wind.

69DF7D4C-457E-44FD-B019-8BC321499838.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 6