Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted

A bit of mooing going on in steading took a look and cattle a bit unsettled.Then heard a low rumbling sound a bit like thunder. Came back in took a look at radar and could see some big hail showers and several lightning strikes in NW Scotland.That must have been what cattle were hearing. Currently 3cand breezy.

• Like 9

Posted

The met Office text forecast is on the fence for Tuesday, probably the first time this season where it hasn't mentioned snow being restricted to hills...?

Thursday:

Showery start to Tuesday, then periods of rain and snow crossing from southwest later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Wow just had a hail shower with a rumble of thunder. At last a bit of excitement in the weather 

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy showers again just before dawn cleared to allow a ground frost to develop as  daylight came in.   Hills round the Firth are white again and Black Isle appears to have a dusting  (Hail or Snow)     Currently sunny,moderate breeze and 2c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
10 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I wasn't being cheeky. Knowing our luck we'd find out the GFS was the most accurate and we're just a pair of muppets!

Right then you Perr o' collaborating Muppets!

Wheresma Snaw

Big ever patient Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Somebody in the mad house mentioned Greenland High.... im off to get my bread and milk. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent day here. Bit of a breeze but not too strong, largely cloudless therefore sunny, temp on the cool side but OK to be working outside with just a hoodie on over a t-shirt. 

Just 'washed' my wife and my cars. Should get an extra couple of mpg out of them now as they'll be significantly lighter if the amount of muck that flowed off them is anything to go by. One of the few disadvantages of living in the countryside, especially at this time of the year, is the 'interesting' state of the minor roads as muck gets dragged off the fields. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) is urging people to be prepared ahead of some stormy conditions expected across the start of next week, with a risk of flooding to all Scotland's coastal areas.

The Met Office has forecast strong and sustained winds from Monday morning, 13 January, through much of the week. Combined with naturally high tides next week, the sustained winds will create an unusual and dangerous combination of tide, storm surge and inshore waves. There is therefore a risk of coastal flooding to all Scotland’s coastal areas. The highest risk is around high tides from midday Monday through to Tuesday afternoon. There is a flooding risk to coastal road and rail routes and coastal communities right around Scotland’s coastline.

These conditions can be dangerous. Be aware of the most up-to-date Alerts and Warnings, visit floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Short distance from me 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Anybody here had cherry wood and elm wood for open fires and stoves?? Any good?

Posted
Just now, bigsnow said:

Anybody here had cherry wood and elm wood for open fires and stoves?? Any good?

As long as both are seasoned properly, both are good. Theres plenty of Elm being sold thanks to Durch elm disease.

The best hardwoods for burning are Oak, Ash and beech.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, I'm off to Les Arcs in the French Alps next saturday.

While there's plenty of snow, it's not had fresh for a while, with lots of freeze-thaw, so must be pretty icy and hard packed lower down.

I was starting to be a bit down-hearted, but it seems the change in the weather that's coming (to us all maybe) will see it begin snowing heavily on Friday. 

If I'm lucky, it could see 30 cm of fresh over the weekend followed by low T's to keep things crispy.

Fingers cross for here and there!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
21 hours ago, 101_North said:

It's XC Weather - total cobblers and strictly just for shits and giggles

WWW.XCWEATHER.CO.UK

In all my years of snow chasing I don't think it's ever verified

Ooh no don't like that app, it's given me fog for my birthday

Screenshot_20200112-155030.png

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Some heavy showers throughout the day with some hail and a rumble of thunder earlier.

E1626EF7-7739-44A8-80A1-C69625B67C54.thumb.jpeg.e7493f846388d902af1920262b095fb0.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Looks like we into the relative calm now before more trouble soon. Rain probably won't last as long this time but not what's needed after the lashing recently

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/01/2020 at 14:23, Sceptical said:

www.snow-forecast.com see some impressive snow accumulations next week for Nevis and Glencoe ski centres - mid/upper mountain. Cairngorm, Lecht and Glenshee look like missing out this time. 

The ski centres are currently free of natural snow, by Friday the webcams could be showing a significant change.

Latest update has seen the forecast accumulations reduced significantly.

Posted

Some showers earlier, one around lunchtime gave a bit of sleet. Dry afternoon so headed down the Ayrshire coast. A walk along Croy beach just up from Culzean to blow the cobwebs away, catching the sun starting to go down. 

IMG_5936.thumb.JPG.9c4a4da6901dab71910ce7860df5666a.JPG

Looking a bit blowy tomorrow, perhaps peaking mid to late afternoon here.

@bigsnow no experience of Elm but Cherry is a nice wood to burn and will give a good scent in an open fire. Got the father-in-laws Cherry tree, which fell over in the summer, seasoning for the winter after next.

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 6

Posted
4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

. One of the few disadvantages of living in the countryside, especially at this time of the year, is the 'interesting' state of the minor roads as muck gets dragged off the fields. 

The farm here is fairly small in todays terms and is served by internal tracks so we do very little road work but todays large scale units have very large tractors which complete their fieldwork very rapidly and then have to race along the roads to their next field .In so doing it seems they are more often on the road than in the field They have been built with this in mind with their 50 and 60  km/hour gearboxes. These huge tractor tyres are notorious for spreading mud everywhere especially in such a wet autumn/winter as we have had. Often feel that its bad PR for farming seeing all this mud on the road when a powered road brush would be just a few thousand pounds compared to the hundreds of thousands spent on these big tractors

Currently clear and 2c with a  ground frost out of the wind

• Like 9

Posted

5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Decent day here. Bit of a breeze but not too strong, largely cloudless therefore sunny, temp on the cool side but OK to be working outside with just a hoodie on over a t-shirt. 

Just 'washed' my wife and my cars. Should get an extra couple of mpg out of them now as they'll be significantly lighter if the amount of muck that flowed off them is anything to go by. One of the few disadvantages of living in the countryside, especially at this time of the year, is the 'interesting' state of the minor roads as muck gets dragged off the fields. 

For general info (I'm sure NL will be aware of this):

Under section 95 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 a person commits an offence if they:

• are in charge of a vehicle on a road
  • allow a quantity of ‘mud, clay, farmyard manure, or other material (of whatever nature) from the vehicle (or carried on the vehicle) to drop onto or be deposited on the road which would create, or be likely to create, a danger or substantial inconvenience to road users, and
  • fail to remove the material as soon as reasonably practicable.

There are similar provisions in English law.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, Sceptical said:

As long as both are seasoned properly, both are good. Theres plenty of Elm being sold thanks to Durch elm disease.

The best hardwoods for burning are Oak, Ash and beech.

I've had elm in the past and found it was unsplittable so if it's being offered in big, seasoned rounds, DON'T buy unless you have a hydraulic splitter on a PTO.  My favourite woods are ash and sycamore, both really easy to split and quick to dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

The farm here is fairly small in todays terms and is served by internal tracks so we do very little road work but todays large scale units have very large tractors which complete their fieldwork very rapidly and then have to race along the roads to their next field .In so doing it seems they are more often on the road than in the field They have been built with this in mind with their 50 and 60  km/hour gearboxes. These huge tractor tyres are notorious for spreading mud everywhere especially in such a wet autumn/winter as we have had. Often feel that its bad PR for farming seeing all this mud on the road when a powered road brush would be just a few thousand pounds compared to the hundreds of thousands spent on these big tractors

Currently clear and 2c with a  ground frost out of the wind

Makes life very interesting as a biker...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband swears his head off about the messy roads here but I think myself that farmers have enough to do without sweeping the roads as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

The calm before the storm...

DEC66520-1F5A-4629-887B-004D85E8679C.thumb.jpeg.60ad24b82dfad07600f519b9ed23c8a0.jpeg6C21B245-689D-4D6D-883F-C7F0EE2F4F82.thumb.jpeg.87ffbe2c2badcf91c96e58245f811f55.jpeg

Some decent wind gusts expected.

3DE63689-A0F4-4CAD-96BD-C29D12965613.thumb.png.6c9a183db00ee8d45744b17a1e663141.png

Interesting week of weather ahead...severe gales, torrential downpours and snow above 200/300 meters around these parts. 

Have a good day!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The central belt wind funnel quite evident on that last chart Mr Frost . Makes me wonder why it isn’t included in the warning today. Not as severe as the Firth of Clyde area by any means but given the risk to transport and the population affected, a wee yellow warning may have brought home the need to take some care. Unless part of their thinking is connected to the expected tides perhaps - surprised ScotRail haven’t pulled the plug on the Ardrossan service during high tide already today.

We’ll see how it pans out of course. I’ll be in Edinburgh most of the day and will be travelling back during the evening rush. I’d expect things should be fine enough for travel, but I reckon Glasgow area will get it worse.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Frosty and not a breath of wind here, 4c apparently but feels much cooler. Not sure we will see too strong winds through here. Models still trending cold and frosty next week although not snowy for those who live at a standard height. 

• Like 3