Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A new thread for a new decade. Hopefully enough weather of interest to ensure that this one does not stay open for a year. 

• Like 5

Posted

Since a new (shiny) Scottish thread has been opened - is this good or bad news?

5760.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Cononish goldmine expected to produce enough ingots to kickstart cottage industry

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
6 hours ago, ciel said:

@CatchMyDrift ref hobbies

Why not take up fair isle knitting and patterns on these long dreich scottish winter evenings? lol

Doin it Catch, Going cross eyed and crabbit an all!

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sorry about my typing, my keyboard has gone a bit weird.

Well either that or mybrain.

Posted

Was begining to dry up two days ago but since then we have had more rain and showers today .Plowtering through the mud again today good fun.

A bit cooler today with fresh snow caps on the hills round the Firth .     Currently 6c

Suspect we will see more snow in the spring than in  the winter. Remember last year in early May rolling grass with the higher hills round the Firth all having snow on them.

• Like 9

Posted
7 hours ago, ciel said:

Since a new (shiny) Scottish thread has been opened - is this good or bad news?

5760.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Cononish goldmine expected to produce enough ingots to kickstart cottage industry

Last time that gold-mine was prepared for opening in the 1990s, the gold price plummeted and all the equipment was left to lie around to rust for many years.  The only gold-mine in Tyndrum since has been the Green Welly Stop - that must turn over a fortune as its mobbed on any half-decent day during the tourist season!

If gold prices are economical this time, it could be good for the local economy, but I hope environmental controls are stringent, particularly as the gold companies have had their eyes on other hills in the area too (Beinn Udlaidh, etc).  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It is 8 years ago today that there was a Red Warning out for wind for some parts of Scotland. As usual the Met-O were on the case and only issued the warning when the winds had reached their peak.

As far as I know it still stands as the most powerful storm to hit the Glasgow area since the Boxing Day 98 storm, although I am happy to be corrected

winter-storms-early-january-2012---met-office.pdf 977.59 kB · 3 downloads

Awful pic of the tree in my parents' house at the time, snapped like a twig:

017.thumb.JPG.d9aec810e2429abe292c7bb69cab2adc.JPG

One thing I remember from that morning was the sound of the wind overhead, I've only heard a wind noise like that a few times, a proper raw roaring howl.

Remember that one well, it only lasted for about 45 minutes but had frequent 80-90mph gusts.Quite a bit of damage done especially to sheet roofs, saw plenty of them scattered around over the next few days and over the coming weeks their were plenty of people up replacing lost tiles.Lots of damaged trees too with a few of them being cut down over the following months.

There could be a couple of wind warnings out next week with 50-60mph forecast quite widely across Scotland between Monday and Wednesday. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

Last time that gold-mine was prepared for opening in the 1990s, the gold price plummeted and all the equipment was left to lie around to rust for many years.  The only gold-mine in Tyndrum since has been the Green Welly Stop - that must turn over a fortune as its mobbed on any half-decent day during the tourist season!

If gold prices are economical this time, it could be good for the local economy, but I hope environmental controls are stringent, particularly as the gold companies have had their eyes on other hills in the area too (Beinn Udlaidh, etc).  

I know, and I do avoid that place when in the area.

Perhaps, this time round, the mine will make a positive contribution ( or not) to the local economy. 

On a purely sentimental note, I would love a simple gold band of scottish gold.

Posted

A cool grey day in Strathnairn with a max of 6c and heavy showers of rain, especially in the morning.  Brisk wind throughout and Wyvis capped with some snow.

Thought Aberdeenshire had wet conditions underfoot but its a quagmire here.

Snag_c7426f.thumb.png.47ea3cce80e233a5874af570b1b8c3d5.png

Snag_c77900.thumb.png.6faa448bfc55ed5abad404118e2cf5fc.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
8 hours ago, Sceptical said:

The false prophets are assembling again in the MAD thread.

Shades of 66

More like 88/89.. i will get excited when its below freezing and snaw is falling.

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

More like 88/89.. i will get excited when its below freezing and snaw is falling.

As it stands, no sign of any cold or snow for at least the next couple of weeks. Next Tuesday is forecast to be extremely mild with 15C possible in parts of NE Scotland.

Pish!

• Like 2