Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just started raining again after being dry for the last hour or so. Not sure how much of the squall I’ll get here as it seems to be doing everything to avoid me at the moment. 

Posted

Really surprised  by the wind levels even allowing for the naturally sheltered dip our house is in. We've had it at least as bad if not worse in the past. I dont know if I'm disappointed or relieved. A bi of a let down unless theres a bit more to come, but on the other hand, I still have a polytunnel.

Posted

All over bar the shouting (Oh and the post event analysis)?

Look what a squall line does to the wind speed..

snap1.JPG

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

The temperature got down to 8.5°C at 17:00 but actually started rising again, up to 10.2°C around 18:30 but has declined ever since to the 8.1°C I am on now.

946603C6-902D-48CB-9F8D-DF8D65FC1134.thumb.jpeg.0c5f97c3930fc6b39985b7f9014f065d.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still quite windy now although nowhere near as windy as it was earlier. The temperature dropped a tiny bit when the rain went through earlier this evening but not the dramatic temperature drop some experienced. Currently 10.3°C

Posted
4 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

All over bar the shouting (Oh and the post event analysis)?

Look what a squall line does to the wind speed..

snap1.JPG

I noticed that squall line effect too, it broke my mean wind speed record (albeit only 6 years of wind records) but not my gust record, and was followed by a huge dip in speeds as in your graph. There were three separate gust peaks here, spread across the afternoon.

Posted

Suddenly got very windy again here with heavy rain. The temperature is dropping more quickly this time unlike when the squall went through earlier. 9.3°C to 8.4°C in 5 minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I just picked up my first genuine lightning strike on my Ecowitt lightning detector! ?️

19.2 miles, which puts it directly in the shower that's to the South of me, in the channel. It looks as though the distance is spot on.

Posted

Although the wind dropped around 10pm to 15-20mph, the gusts were still constant through the night of 25-30mph.
It has stayed much like that this morning, but the stronger 30mph gusts are becoming less.

We managed to 12mm of rain yesterday, mainly from that early evening push through our region.
Since midnight we had a few shows till 3pm, 1mm.
It has been dry since.
Now 8.4c after a low of 6,3c at 3am, 1004.4 hPa.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Thunder and lighting with hail and gusty winds 8 deg c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, Jasper Foxx said:

Very heavy squally shower of snow, hail and rain. Absolute whiteout when it got here and has left a very slushy mess. 

All a bit exciting!

Same here! Really impressive stuff - temperature also dropped from 7.5C to 3.6C. Sun now out again and a nice collection of hailstones in the rain gauge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Picking up lightning strikes near by!

Just had a sharp shower and the wind was gusting to 43mph. Temperature plummeted in a matter of minutes.

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.e4ac2ad13c3529fa154c0bea7cb2e550.png WindDay.thumb.png.d0f97d5ce40bb4d2ee0b62cfec1b8e09.png  PressureDay.thumb.png.78fa75c23258db9ad5c4ff90f8b94c73.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Just heard thunder from the shower that passed just to the south of here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Sunshine and showers today with the temperature up and down... got to 9.0°C earlier, currently 7.1°C

Posted

Mate has just called me from nr Grantham, Lincolnshire. They've got a nice covering of snow.

We have 1off snow symbol for 7am tomorrow morning. Bring it.

• Like 1

Posted

No thunder here today, but I was more interested at the incoming spring tide, with the added surge from Ciara.

This was Bosham Quay today at around lunchtime. Comparison between Google street view and today...

image.thumb.png.b2bcd537c4c61e8a716543517edee3db.png   image.thumb.png.4d453245bfa93d7ab221d478501b885b.png    

Tide peaked here at around 4.98m which is around 60-70cm above normal spring tides locally.