Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
3 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

A lot of surface water this morning with some flooding up the Borough in Downton, a few trees down in the nearby forest, too. Certainly more disruption than 'Brendan' but I wasn't surprised it wasn't named, looking at past wind events where it's been stronger than named storms.

The cars were stacked back from the A338 lights to the Iron bridge at 8ish this morning, when I walked past.

It wasn't that bad at 5pm last night. The fields are a mess.

• Like 1

Posted

What a lovely day it is here after the dull start, bit of a breeze out there still today but nothing compared to the last 2 days. 9.6°C

Also worth keeping an eye on this weekend as I got a funny feeling a lot of local records could be broken for the highest pressure recorded or at least very close, I have never seen 1050hpa before!

Posted
8 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

You definitely living in a drier part of the world as coastal wise I picked up 23mm yesterday & already @10mm for today, so that is certainly a lot higher than your drier part of the world. So far only 1 dry day for the month of January where I live..Still looking like another hour or so of rainfall here as it moves away in an easterly direction, so you might well see a good top up yet as things still head your way

Yes we are definitely in a bit of a rain shadow, the Isle of Wight to the south and South Downs (western end) to the north. Ended up with 24.2 mm for this event, but it took 30 hours to get there.

Funnily enough, after the bucket tip rain gauge over-read by 15% yesterday (to midnight) today so far it has been pretty much spot on at 10.2 vs 10.0 mm. So it looks like the peak winds yesterday caused some unwanted tips.

But oh what a pleasant change this afternoon, the return of the sun and a pleasant 9.5°C just now, though today's maximum will be weirdly 11.6 at 1 am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yesterday's rain was a strange one! There wasn't any heavy bursts of rain as such, it was just persistent light rain that totalled up. 5.6mm on Sunday. 17.8mm on Monday, 25.2mm yesterday and 10.6mm today. That wind though... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Mostly cloudy here this morning but brightened up later on to leave a sunny afternoon with blue skies. 9.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

After a cloudy start it turned pleasantly sunny, holding up into the evening with lingering light until after 5pm.

The top temperature today was 10.5°C at 1am.. this afternoon the top temperature was 9.3°C

It is currently 5.5°C

Posted

I was just looking at the charts for the start of next week - a new high pressure record for many of us I reckon?

viewimage.thumb.png.a5cedd3b2da617aa96c21499e74420c4.png 69159940_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f093672b4ae77c9e8c50d14a68108b0a.png

1044.84 is my record on this station. My previous station recorded 1046.06 back in December 2014.

Just imagine if a deep low came barrelling in with rapid cyclogenesis occurring as it went across.. that would be an incredible pressure range!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I was just looking at the charts for the start of next week - a new high pressure record for many of us I reckon?

viewimage.thumb.png.a5cedd3b2da617aa96c21499e74420c4.png 69159940_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f093672b4ae77c9e8c50d14a68108b0a.png

1044.84 is my record on this station. My previous station recorded 1046.06 back in December 2014.

Just imagine if a deep low came barrelling in with rapid cyclogenesis occurring as it went across.. that would be an incredible pressure range!

If that comes off, the Welsh record is under threat (1049.2hPa) would go, never mind my paltry 1044.5! England's record is 1053.1 according to Wikipedia.

Edited by DaveL

Posted

Morning All, a dry(ing) start to the day, clear skies and a breeze is helping to dry out the days of rainfall. However, in the SW approaches sits the next lot of rain for later this afternoon. A cool night after recent balmy nights, with an overnight low of 8.4°C at: 04:42 and recent temp only marginally higher...

Posted

Very heavy rain, squally winds, here in BS34. Thoroughly miserable. Pub beckons at 4 for a couple of pints of the black stuff, me thinks. Only 2 months to go before we head off to Fuerteventura for 8 weeks stay - tempted to say "Cant wait", but i dont like wishing my time away.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry this morning but wet and windy now although nowhere near as windy as earlier in the week. 11.0°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just started raining very hvy here on west mendip. Watching radar over devon and a very intense area of rain developing , could hit Bristol or just past further east. Looking forward to the high pressure coming soon. 

Posted

It has turned nuts here - rain really heavy.

11.4mm. Most of that has been in the last 45 minutes.

RainDay.thumb.png.9af4808c9f858365d36b93dd25d0783d.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Same here. Third attempt this week and this is the heaviest rain by far.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Missed us....just (red dot bottom rhs)

image.png.02c37edcd850b987c0aca847767c9b9d.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Quite an active area of heavier rain, cruising through, avoiding some (like me) and soaking others...

image.thumb.png.76024e4fa610cb893f0c70628c874ca6.png

Looks tasty around Blashford lakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Torrential out there, nipped out to the shop in what was rather light rain and near arrival home, it started hammering down

Posted

Quite a lot of surface water about after our earlier rain. Will be great to have some high pressure for a few days to help dry the place out, the garden is like a mud pit. The high today was 10.7°C, currently on 9.6°C