Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No frost or ice here this morning. Managed a low of 2.7°C. Just sunny spells today, a lot of cloud around. Temp managed 11.5°C.

Posted

Two virtually dry days in a row, just some early drizzle yesterday and a few light showers early this morning. 

More importantly lots of sunshine and outdoor time!

Posted

Mainly dry today, nice breeze which dried my lawn (not underfoot). So, cut the grass for 1st time since late October. However, it is full of moss. Any one got any moss solutions, on top of a good raking?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Mainly dry today, nice breeze which dried my lawn (not underfoot). So, cut the grass for 1st time since late October. However, it is full of moss. Any one got any moss solutions, on top of a good raking?

My practice is to cut the lawn first, wait a week and then use a fine rake over the whole lawn to get as much thatch and moss out as possible, then mow it again to get rid of all of the straggly bits. Give it another week or two and then throw over some miracle-gro evergreen lawn feed and moss killer (lightly) and make sure no rain is due within a few days of putting it down. Leave the lawn for another week or two and give it a cut again. I may do that process twice in Spring and Summer and I get really good results.

I see a lot of people complain about using a lawn feed/moss killer, and the mistakes they make are putting too much of it on in one hit it'll burn patches of the lawn. They also do it after they've cut the lawn or just before its due to be cut, and that's another mistake. The grass needs to be actively growing for it to work at its best.

Raking the thatch and moss out can be a chore, and the lawn looks crap for a few weeks, but by late Spring, it comes back a treat!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nowhere near an air frost here last night as it only dropped to 4.2°C. This evening it dropped to 4.4°C not long ago but it's rising again now. 5.1°C 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Actually managed a dry day with plenty of sunshine. A different day to come tomorrow.

Posted

Sea mist is still blowing inland at the moment and with a SE breeze it's holding the temperatures down at 7.1°C. Looks as though the rain will clear within the next hour so some possible warming before the day is out, after the final splash of rain..?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Grey with showers throughout today. Max 7.1°C earlier

Posted
5 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Grey with showers throughout today. Max 7.1°C earlier

Showers?

Non stop rain varying from drizzle to heavy in Warminster since 08.00!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wet this morning and early afternoon followed by drizzle for the rest of the day. Reached 8.1°C, currently 7.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
45 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Showers?

Non stop rain varying from drizzle to heavy in Warminster since 08.00!

Ow well I digress that we’ve had so much I don’t really take note any more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

That rain band is much further north than any models were showing or weather forecast I watched yesterday..

Posted

Yuck, dank and gloomy with light / moderate rain sets us off for the day. 4.2°C after a low of 3.9°C at: 06:57

Posted

And it's a nicely formed low too, had the cold been in it could have been glorious...instead its wet, as the heaviest rain is coast side at the moment, and temperature keeping it cool @5.3°C 

image.thumb.png.90381cf08bb0dc575b277f5768b20c8a.png

Posted
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

That rain band is much further north than any models were showing or weather forecast I watched yesterday..

Classic +/- 100miles scenario, it certainly was suggested to be further south...

The low itself is actually tanking it along the channel, so suggestion is it wont last all day here..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Absolutely hissing down here, 12.5mm to a few minutes ago.  Temperature currently 4.7°C.

Posted

Really horrible here. We're currently under the red bit.

We don't need this at all. ?️

Edit : It's actually sleet now. If this was bumping into decent cold air, today would've been the stuff of legend.

Edited by jtay

Posted

#&!*

Where did this all come from? All of the post holes I dug for the fence yesterday are all full up with water! It has been lashing down here. 16.6mm at the moment.

Posted

A massive fail by forecasters for this morning here. Last night's forecasts were showing rain skirting along South coast.

Been raining here for a few hours, BS34.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

#&!*

Where did this all come from? All of the post holes I dug for the fence yesterday are all full up with water! It has been lashing down here. 16.6mm at the moment.

I'm not sure it's that big a surprise. There was always some doubt on the movement and influence of this system

PPVA89.thumb.gif.271f23c2e4184592dd0cb384ac7cd244.gif

Posted

Temperature dropping, I'm sure I noticed some sleety bits in with the rain, just now..4.7°C , still dropping now 4.5°C

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Vile day, not the only one recently, cannot imagine a summer drought with parched grass and dry cracks in the ground.   It’s been an awful winter, be glad to see the back of it!