Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, lettice said:

The forecasts today for wind gusts has dropped this morning from being 43-50mph through to early hours of Sunday to 38-42mph winds till late evening.
Has the storm had a downgrade?

I posted about this yesterday, in the storm thread. The winds were strongest  from around 10pm last night to 4am this morning, but no warning. The warning is in force from midday, and the winds don't get above 40mph here for the entire warning time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yesterday was just vile but much better today. Sunny spells and two brief hail showers so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Just had a heavy sleet shower here, temperature was 6°C before it, now dropped to 3.5°C.

13.0mm of rain fell overnight. This makes February's total at 124.8mm currently and a round 200.0mm for the year!

Posted

Smashing it down with hail here. Could see it coming, so came in. 

Clear sky behind so should be back out soon enough. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Wow! Temp dropped from 7.5°C to 4.2C526605D-753C-4EF2-AFA0-8F4BDD5F2F77.thumb.jpeg.abe2baed1d97dbcda68a71414bf138a5.jpeg°C in 10 mins with hail and some wintriness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some sleet in the heavier showers in Exeter today, temperature mostly around 6-7C but falling to 3-4C in the showers.  There was also a bright double rainbow after the most recent shower.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Frequent snow showers over the Mendips today according to my source up on top. Sadly nothing but rain/hail down in trowbridge so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Rainbow was seen half an hour ago after a short fall of hail/sleet /rain. Sunny now. Been like this for a while. At least no very strong winds  have come this way. 

5.0c. Wind Chill 4.1c. Humidity 75%  Rh.

Edited by ARTDEMOLE

Posted

Passing shower early when I was in North Bournemouth, meanwhile the ground is bone dry here, so that one missed us..wind has evened out, i.e. not increasing, but then again pressure isn't falling either at  987.8 mb

Satellite image ties in nicely with the fax charts

image.thumb.png.f78a4236d9d96721fdb4606d6738484f.png

image.thumb.png.61da0a56a40910b0a6af8f80c192e663.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Another passing shower, with the slightest hint of hail embedded, so fast you could blink and miss it and now the sun is back out again...after a slight temperature.drop. Now waiting for tonights breeze... 

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Sunny now although we’ve had a few light rain showers since the hail earlier. Temperatures have recovered to 5.4°C.. the high was 9.5°C at midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Nice rainbow from the last shower to pass overhead. 

IMG_20200229_163627.jpg

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 1

Posted

The wind this afternoon has been a constant 25-28mph and 30-35mph gusts. There was a spell mid afternoon with constant 38-48mph gusts.
In the last hour the wind has dropped to 18-20mph.
Little rain here since early morning apart from a few light drizzly spells, total 2.9mm today.

That brings the Feb total to 118mm.

Edited by lettice

Posted

Seeminly the ORIGINAL warnings of WIND and RAIN from this storm need to be amended, rainfall we are not going to see apart from the occasional shower and as to the wind, well let's see what happens tonight.. to be honest looking like another fail down here..

Looking at the enclosed, you have to wonder why the Spanish Met jumped on this...

image.thumb.png.49e82bb0d35d5063e8d348b3958fc1b5.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

There's been nothing special here so far today, wind-wise, but I have just broken my monthly rainfall record - albeit with reliably accurate records only dating back to December 2014. Previous record was December 2018 at 150mm but I have now hit 151.0 mm up to the 28th, with today's rainfall still to add. That is 251% of  the 30 year February average for my locality as per current Met Office mapping, and 300% of the average for the now defunct Solent MRSC at Lee-on-the-Solent nearby (<5 miles)..

For this mildly rain-shadowy part of the country, it has been a very wet month and I suspect wind speeds for the month have been very high as well.

EDIT - Just checked my average monthly wind speeds since Feb 2014, this month has been 20% higher than my previous record highest in Dec 2015.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Did have some snow today mixed in to a heavy rain shower. The others were sleet and hail. 

• Like 1

Posted

I remember mentioning that December (166mm) was the wettest month since before our son was born in summer 2016.

After a very wet night and heavy showers today February has superseded that with 176mm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A few showers earlier with hail in a couple of them and quite windy, especially through the afternoon. Reached 10.3°C, currently 7.1°C

'Dry' here in comparison with 97.6mm this month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Had a really heavy hail shower about an hour ago. Still hail left on cars and roofs. The surprise element was the thunder. Two very loud claps, woke me up!

Posted

Storm, what storm......big fail for this area, as the pressure remained solid around 990mb all night, no rain and the wind died down rather than increased. Hey ho HOR HAY (Jorge) ..... however I’m sure that the flood affected areas in the north could have done without you....

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Storm, what storm......big fail for this area, as the pressure remained solid around 990mb all night, no rain and the wind died down rather than increased. Hey ho HOR HAY (Jorge) ..... however I’m sure that the flood affected areas in the north could have done without you....

Same here. Nothing unusual for this time of year . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes I was woken by the first thunder, then came the next very loud bang. Almost overhead.