Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Just sleet for me this morning but friends said that there was some before I woke up. The hills to the north looks a bit white as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just rain with the odd bit of sleet this morning here. Nothing more than I expected. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Seen some sleet this morning, especially around 8am, but that’s all. Blue skies this afternoon.

Max 7.8°C, currently 7.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Turned into a lovely day here again, bone dry after the snow finished this morning - quickly melted.

So was that winter's last hurrah? I'll be glad to see the back of it and head into spring now (yes I know I'll get giddy if it snows) but let's face it, probably more chance of winning the lottery than being plunged into the freezer this winter. A whole season without a crunchy walk in a white landscape, no mesmerising flakes to watch falling and making a thick carpet, no snowball fights, no sledging and the only snowman to be seen is a needle felted one I made. Hurrumph sums up my verdict on this winter.

What I imagine polar bears would do if they had carrots and coal.....

dhh.jpg

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Pity it's downhill from this point. It's a cracking afternoon kere

And here, the sky almost cloudless....and double digits, where  somebody in the MOD thread suggested this was the coldest week of the winter, hmmm double digits not really that cold, even overnight...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Turned into a lovely day here again, bone dry after the snow finished this morning - quickly melted.

So was that winter's last hurrah? I'll be glad to see the back of it and head into spring now (yes I know I'll get giddy if it snows) but let's face it, probably more chance of winning the lottery than being plunged into the freezer this winter.

I reckon so, the polar vortex is still spinning like a top, and given the days are getting longer the sun is heading north, you have to think "Will the Polar vortex, just fade away...?" Who knows but the grunt I'm sure will be weakened should it try.

As an aside I have some snow socks, no not for me for the car, and I have never ever yet had to use them. I'm thinking of putting them in a time capsule for people to chuckle at them in a hundred years time.....

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

And here, the sky almost cloudless....and double digits, where  somebody in the MOD thread suggested this was the coldest week of the winter, hmmm double digits not really that cold, even overnight...

Recently had some interesting Ci invading the sky from the west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry and mostly sunny once the rain cleared but again feeling cold in the breeze. Reached 9.4°C, currently 4.0°C

Posted

What a difference a day makes, yesterday clear and sunny, wind in from the N/NW, today overcast and raining  with the wind in from the S/SE, everything is a 180° the other way today, as is the temperature with a sub zero overnight and setting out at 5.7°C...... 

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Well, it has to be said, days like today, make you grateful for days like yesterday, and less happy looking foiward to days like towmorrow.....and another double digit bust for February... 10.9°C at: 13:38

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Looking like a damp and breezy saturday as HOR HAY cruises through, locall footy for the grand child is postponed due to waterlogged pitch...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A mild, damp and breezy day.. got down to -0.5°C overnight before beginning to rise after 4am..

Reached 10.4°C, not far off that now at 10.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I have finished one side of the garden fence today and started on the harder side.. jeez.. I dug one old, snapped off fence post out and pulled a lot of the old concrete out as well. I dug to a 2' depth and hit ground water. This is extremely unusual as I live on a Saxon mound. The soil is a sandy loam with gravel around 5' down, so water drains away extremely quickly, as noted in the Summer, after a heavy downpour, the soil is dust the next day. To be hitting water just a couple of feet down shows how saturated the ground is, even on a mound! 1010.6mm has fallen here since September 1st. Crazy!

15.6mm of rain today and pretty windy. Temp reached 11.1°C.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I have finished one side of the garden fence today and started on the harder side.. jeez.. I dug one old, snapped off fence post out and pulled a lot of the old concrete out as well. I dug to a 2' depth and hit ground water. This is extremely unusual as I live on a Saxon mound. The soil is a sandy loam with gravel around 5' down,

Wow you're lucky we have 3-4" of top soil, then it's gravel all the way down,so we drain water away very quickly, mind you it's a pig to grow anything here, including grass (the short green type)....

Here's hoping the weekends rain and wind don't undo your hard work, are you using concrete or wooden posts?

We had all ours replaced with concrete posts, so much better then wooden ones..

That water level sounds really high considering where you live in the town...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

This week according to some folk has been the winters cold spell, well bu.......ger me it's very warm here...10.7°C..

Noticeable, the wind is picking up again..

image.thumb.png.b1151f9ef17730015181af371a459223.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Dull and wet this morning followed by a dull afternoon with drizzle at times. Reached 10.4°C, currently 10.1°C 

Posted

9.5°C with showery rain and a fresh breeze

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

This week according to some folk has been the winters cold spell, well bu.......ger me it's very warm here...10.7°C..

Just says it all about this winter really, doesn't it?! 

Posted

Ended up with 8mm of rain from yesterday, mostly during the morning.
it was more drizzly showers during the afternoon and evening.
The wind in the evening stayed 12-18mph with plenty of 25-35mph gusts. 
it stayed much the same through the night with a few 39mph gusts around 4am.
Wind has dropped since 6am to 8-12mph when it moved to WSW from SSW.

Had a little rain since midnight, mostly 4am - 6am, 2.5mm
Just light drizzle now.  
Temp has dropped from 10c at 6am to 6.5c now, 984.3 hPa

The forecasts today for wind gusts has dropped this morning from being 43-50mph through to early hours of Sunday to 38-42mph winds till late evening.
Has the storm had a downgrade?

• Like 1