Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Light rain / drizzle this evening with the breeze picking up this evening. Up to 9.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

Hi all, not posted here for ages, I’m really a snow-or-thunderstorm guy, and both have been lacking! So not a fair weather person... 

Bit worried about rainfall this weekend - the storm hasn’t come yet but it’s been raining moderately on and off for the last 3 hours already. Can’t believe how saturated the ground is. I’m a landscape gardener and I’ve not known the ground to be this wet, for so long. For 3 or 4 years before this autumn/winter digging for work has been difficult in many places because ground with a high clay content has been rock hard a few inches down, as it’s been so very dry. Within a month from the end of September, the opposite has been true. Ground work is hard going because soil has been so damn heavy due to wet! I’ve already had a few customers asking for their lawn to be cut (the other part of my business) as it’s grown. I’ve had to say not yet, as our professional mowers are heavy, and will leave tracks in the grass which may not disappear. Going to be a difficult spring in that regard! Also when this pattern eventually breaks, if we get a really warm spring/early summer, expect hedges and trees to grow a lot this year... 

Hope everyone’s fences and trees survived last weekend, and good luck for this one! 

The ground was waterlogged here by mid October with a lot of surface runoff in hillier areas, so yeah, the last 3 months have not helped one bit, albeit January and February being less wet overall. Could be all change this weekend though! Quite an unusual setup for the time of year.

Posted
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

The ground was waterlogged here by mid October with a lot of surface runoff in hillier areas, so yeah, the last 3 months have not helped one bit, albeit January and February being less wet overall. Could be all change this weekend though! Quite an unusual setup for the time of year.

Hope you don"t mind me adding this but us up here near Nairn (The Riviera Of The North) normally known for its dry climate we have been just as wet too since mid October. In over 50 years I have never known the ground so wet.We are in need of a dry spring and I feel we probably won"t get it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
27 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Hope you don"t mind me adding this but us up here near Nairn (The Riviera Of The North) normally known for its dry climate we have been just as wet too since mid October. In over 50 years I have never known the ground so wet.We are in need of a dry spring and I feel we probably won"t get it

You made it until mid October. Down here the monsoon began late on September 21st. It’s certainly the most protracted period of such weather and associated boredom I can remember. Not a good period for weather enthusiasts at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Damp and balmy this morning, 10.5°C after a low of 9.6°C overnight.

Posted

Blowing hard here with torrential rain in the squalls/gusts. Nothing remarkable yet.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain is knocking on the door, down here after being dry so far this morning. Pressure drop is very slow @ only -0.4mb/hr, so wind speed is fairly constant at the moment

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I would like to ask a a question!  What does the term bomb cyclone mean?  

Is it true that is what Dennis has become?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, nettie said:

Bomb refers to Bombogenesis - rapid cyclogenesis - pressure falls at least 24mb in 24 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry this morning but that quickly changed with the arrival of the rain just over half an hour ago. Currently heavy rain and increasingly windy. 10.7°C

Posted

Thank you Mapantz. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
1 hour ago, nettie said:

They do say that there is a possibility of this happening to Dennis. 

Posted

Think it is talking its time getting here.
Just 0.8mm of rain, all of which was drizzle between 11:30am to 1pm.
Been dry since.
SSW wind 15-20mph. Gusts have been 25-30mph mostly, with a handful around the 35mph mark, one 37mph.
1005.6 hPa
Sky is a light grey.

Edited by lettice

Posted
3 hours ago, nettie said:

Hiya

Have a look at the following: 

bombogenesis_setup.jpg
WEATHER.COM

The term "bombogenesis" indicates a rapidly strengthening low-pressure system, which meets specific criteria.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Windy with some spells of rain, but not at the level of Ciara, thankfully. Temp 11.3°C.

It's interesting you say that as we are still some way off the intensification and drop of pressure aren't we? Here in the last hour the gust is only 5mphshort of what Ciara deleivered and considering the time line, at this rate we will pass the peak. Fences here's are now beginning to break, after a combination of the two weekends worth of wind..Currently seen just over a 15mb drop in the 24ours and still above 1000mb so some way to go yet don't you think?

image.thumb.png.0101f8f7dd0d469fb9e03e4e2556f06d.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

so some way to go yet don't you think?

Oh definitely. The forecast data suggesting 59mph gusts with a 32mph wind speed here at the moment, but I am nowhere near that with only a handful of gusts above 40. The majority have been around 35mph.

Posted

Thank you Dorsetbred 

Posted

Cornwall has gust s of 45-55ish depending on location. A lot of flooding now and also a large number of power-outs especially around Plymouth and Truro. It has really gone up a notch in the past hour.

Posted

So far, not come too much here.
This afternoon it has been Windy, SSW wind 18-23mph. Gusts 25-30mph mostly and some 35-37mph
Highest gust was 40mph.
Has been showery this afternoon, 6mm 
1000.8 hPa 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Overall it seems worse, both rainfall and wind strength than Ciara here.  15.2mm in the 7½ hours from 09.00 compared to 17mm for the whole two days of Ciara.  Currently drizzling but still blowing hard with strong gusts.  Power was tripped, briefly, earlier on and blinked again about 15 minutes ago.

Posted

54mph recorded here earlier. Not as much rainfall as forecast. UKV yesterday suggested over an inch between 21:00 and 21:00 tonight, across many parts of the South (excluding the amber zones)

Posted
29 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

Overall it seems worse, both rainfall and wind strength than Ciara here.  15.2mm in the 7½ hours from 09.00 compared to 17mm for the whole two days of Ciara.  Currently drizzling but still blowing hard with strong gusts.  Power was tripped, briefly, earlier on and blinked again about 15 minutes ago.

Have to agree with you on this, it certainly is packing more of a punch. We have had 4 instances of the power brownouts, and as you say the rainfall is a lot more than CIARA..More to come one feels..