Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Showery rain and temperature rising. 5.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

After a calmer couple of days the winds back again now and the heavy rains arrived. 7.6°C

Posted

Blimey, squall line just gone through Kingsbridge just after 2am.

Torrential rain and frequent lightning, one of which was very close. Absolute chaos for about 10min, now it's all gone quiet!

Wasn't expecting that to be honest 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Blimey, squall line just gone through Kingsbridge just after 2am.

Torrential rain and frequent lightning, one of which was very close. Absolute chaos for about 10min, now it's all gone quiet!

Wasn't expecting that to be honest 

Likewise, just been woken up here by the squall which even set a car alarm nearby off! It was finished off with (as far as I’m aware) just a solitary flash of lightning and very loud roll of thunder; exciting! Oddly enough nothing showing on Blitzortung.

Edited by dec10snow
  • Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Likewise, just been woken up here by the squall which even set a car alarm nearby off! It was finished off with (as far as I’m aware) just a solitary flash of lightning and very loud roll of thunder; exciting! Oddly enough nothing showing on Blitzortung.

Just came through here. Woke me up too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Squall just gone through here with about a minute of hail and very gusty winds. Gone quiet now since it passed 

Posted

Currently high veil of cloud and wet from the overnight rainfall, picking the dustbin up after the squall line decided to play skittles.. Temp 6.0°C , pressure 993mb and falling..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Showery with clear intervals this morning after the rain, heavy at times, overnight. 

5.5°C after a low of 4.0°C

Posted

Between 3am and 4am the wind changed from WSW to a Southerly direction and picked up, with many gusts 42-45mph
A fair bit of rain in the early hours, 11.6mm
Dry now, 8.9c, WSW wind 12mph, 20-30 mph occasional gusts, 993.5 hPa, 993.5 hPa

Edited by lettice

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Raining here, as it looks out to the west, it's going to be a wet few hours..?

Yep. Dodging the showers earlier.

Got caught in the end.

IMG_20200213_082440316.thumb.jpg.e00d0612709632f65a077a3f1713ea93.jpg

Plenty more to come, looking at the radar.

That must have been some squall at 4ish. Bins everywhere this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
WWW.CORNWALLLIVE.COM

Video shows the scale of the problem

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I slept through all that wind, rain, hail and whatever!   Very unusual for me.  However, it dumped 18mm to 09.00 and it's still tanking it down out there.  Local stream is up and over, fields like lakes, according to OH who has ventured out.  Goodness know what it will be like after Dennis comes through at the weekend, we'll probably be an island!

West Bay web cam making interesting viewing this morning!

Edited by Lyn-M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Due to not sleeping well because of bruised ribs I was awake during the early hours when we had a few minutes of biblical rain, it absolutely pelted down and the winds were very gusty as well, if that was snow it would have left a decent covering within minutes due to how intense that precipitation was! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just been accessing the damage in the garden from storm Ciara.. 5 fence panels on the right were destroyed, including posts and 6 on the left. On the left side, the neighbour put in an irrigation system a few years back, and it just floods the soil on his site and it rotted the posts out at the surface level. After the 5 panels blew out on the right, it meant the wind could go straight through and do it's work to the left side. I also spent a lot of time last year solvent welding all of the new pipework up to my filter. One of the panels that blew down has snapped one of the pipes to the filter. It's irreparable because of the solvent weld, so i'll have to redo everything. 

The damage done from the weekend is worse than cumulative storms of the 2013/14 Winter. 

Huge downpour this morning as a result of that LEWP. A rain rate of 188 mm/hr and lightning strikes detected too. Currently sunny spells here and 10.4°C.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Huge downpour this morning as a result of that LEWP. A rain rate of 188 mm/hr and lightning strikes detected too. Currently sunny spells here and 10.4°C.

That little lot woke me up at 4:20 am as I got a direct hit. Here's s radar snapshot (I am the black dot just left of Fareham) with today's extremes embedded.  You can roughly double the wind speeds as I measure at under 3 metres, and sheltered.

230 mm/hour and it sounded like it too. 14mm rain in the early hours with a further 3mm before noon.

20200213-0420-radar.jpg-.jpg

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

Posted

Got up to 9.0°C, pleasantly sunny after showers this mornings.

Clear and calm tonight, 5.1°C

Posted

Dry and mostly sunny all day. Reached 10.9°C, currently 7.0°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Exeter had the thunder and lightning as well last night, I saw three flashes around 02:30 shortly after the squall line passed through, and quite a bit of thunder.

Posted

Down to 2.1°C overnight... sunny skies this morning turned overcast with drizzle this afternoon. 

Currently 9.1°C after getting up to 10.7°C at: 11:56

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Hi all, not posted here for ages, I’m really a snow-or-thunderstorm guy, and both have been lacking! So not a fair weather person... 

Bit worried about rainfall this weekend - the storm hasn’t come yet but it’s been raining moderately on and off for the last 3 hours already. Can’t believe how saturated the ground is. I’m a landscape gardener and I’ve not known the ground to be this wet, for so long. For 3 or 4 years before this autumn/winter digging for work has been difficult in many places because ground with a high clay content has been rock hard a few inches down, as it’s been so very dry. Within a month from the end of September, the opposite has been true. Ground work is hard going because soil has been so damn heavy due to wet! I’ve already had a few customers asking for their lawn to be cut (the other part of my business) as it’s grown. I’ve had to say not yet, as our professional mowers are heavy, and will leave tracks in the grass which may not disappear. Going to be a difficult spring in that regard! Also when this pattern eventually breaks, if we get a really warm spring/early summer, expect hedges and trees to grow a lot this year... 

Hope everyone’s fences and trees survived last weekend, and good luck for this one! 

• Like 1