Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

Rinse and repeat today in Kingsbridge - gusty winds and plenty of showers. Horrible one just after the school run with the most minute bits of hail mixed in. Bouncing off my eyeballs walking into the wind, delightful! 

• Like 1

Posted

Ciara might have departed Sunday but hasn’t felt like it here, yesterday winds didn’t drop much below the mid 40’s with frequent heavy showers of hail and sleet, gusting in the high 50’s and more thunder than I’ve heard here in the last 12 months, one house in par struck by lightning. It’s continued all night into this morning with frequent hail showers driven by high winds, made driving hazardous this morning. During the hail showers Newquay Airport weather station recording gusts in the high 50’s again. Unsettled is the term, I think! As I’ve been typing this gone from blue skies to gradually darkening again, another shower passing through soon.

Edited by JWT
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Mostly sunny so far this morning but a shower went through not long ago that briefly had a bit of sleet mixed in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Two blustery ‘predominantly snow’ showers this morning. Lower dewpoints helping given the temp was 4C at the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Sunshine and hail, sleet and rain showers! 7.4°C the high earlier. 

Currently 6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Aha, is that what it takes to drive you out of hiding and on to the thread...:hi:

Lol. I do check in to see what's going on but not having a weather station, or any kind of measuring equipment, the best I can ever add is a visual check of what's going on here. This winter I think that would have amounted to a daily 'bloody raining again!'  

Home from work near Bristol where we had a couple of heavy sleet/snow showers, I've found snow still on the ground at home, only in the shade but still surprised it's here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although I've been disappointed by this polar maritime outbreak from a UK-wide point of view, I have no complaints about Exeter's weather today - a classic "sunshine and showers" day with some TCu/Cb cells and sleety showers and some hail at times, with one instance of lying hail.  There were a couple of rain showers late in the morning and the snow largely disappeared from Princetown, Dartmoor, so it was a surprise when there were some snowflakes mixed in during the afternoon's showers - perhaps a case of the dew points dropping, making it possible for sleet and snow to fall at higher temperatures.

Edit: Exeter Airport's weather station has started working again and I see confirmation that the dew points did indeed drop, hence sleet and wet snow despite temperatures of 6-7C: http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3844.html

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like the showers will pep up in the south-west in an hour or two.  I'm going to be watching out for wintry precipitation in Exeter rather than expecting anything on the ground, but I think Dartmoor has good chances of seeing some accumulations of snow above about 300m.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Turning cold with clear skies.. 2.5°C

Posted

Same in Exeter, mostly rain showers this evening although there was a bit of sleet in one of the heavier bursts, with the air temperature between 3 and 4C, even though there was sleet and wet snow earlier with a temperature of 7C.  The main culprit is probably the dew point which has risen above 1C.

Posted

Anything interesting from that ppn north of the A30?

Posted

The Netweather radar precipitation type detector (which I find surprisingly reliable these days) indicates rain with some sleet in the heavier bursts.

Looks very marginal up at Haytor at 310m, possibly slightly the wrong side of marginal with temperatures between 1.5 and 2C for the past few hours.  With a bit of extra elevation Princetown is probably getting snow but even there it may be pretty marginal for significant accumulations on the ground.  http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Haytor/automatic/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm

This marginality at places like Haytor and Princetown is probably the most disappointing reflection on this west to north-westerly outbreak.  I expected temperatures to generally be about a degree lower, so still not enough for lying snow here in Exeter, but enough to tip showers here more towards sleety snow rather than sleety rain, and pushing Haytor and Princetown the right side of marginal.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Broken  cloud. Sunny.

5.4c. Humidity 78% Rh.

Breeze light at the moment.

Posted

Sunny this morning and for the first part of the afternoon, before it clouded over.

Overcast now, 6.6°C after a high of 9.2°C

Posted
6 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Sunny this morning and for the first part of the afternoon, before it clouded over.

Overcast now, 6.6°C after a high of 9.2°C

Yup, some rain very close-by down here...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yup, some rain very close-by down here...

I didn't realise rain was on it's way so early. I've just finished tearing up the old fence ready for a fire and then it suddenly grew dark. ☂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A sunny morning but clouded over early this afternoon and now it’s raining. 7.2°C