Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Damp and very foggy this morning, just lifting now.

Not liking the look of next week’s trash forecast one bit!

Posted

Oh no not again...in the local rag this morning..

OK Come on own up who uses the Dorset Snow alias, posting Netweather snow forecast charts to support their comment?

SNOW could be seen for the first time this winter next week – but it’s “unlikely” to settle.

Twitter-based forecaster Dorset Snow said that GFS weather charts had shown a risk of "some wintry precipitation” early next week.

Dorset Snow said: “At seven days range it’s unlikely to verify, but about as much hope as we’ve had all winter. Settling snow very unlikely.”

Dorset Snow @DorsetSnow

GFS continuing to show the risk of some wintry precipitation early next week. Could we finally see our first snow flakes of winter 19/20?

See Dorset Snow 's other Tweets

He said that the signs were there could be a “brief cool snap.

Bournemouth Airport was named one of the coldest places in the UK on Monday night.

Wimborne-based forecaster Wessex Weather said temperatures plunged to -4.4C.

According to the Met Office, the weather over the next few days will be cloudy with temperatures reaching 11C on Monday.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Dull, damp, misty, mild. 7.9°C, can we fast forward to spring now please as there is nothing interesting happening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Twitter-based forecaster Dorset Snow said that GFS weather charts had shown a risk of "some wintry precipitation” early next week.

The ECM doesn't particularly show anything unusual. It's showing a potent squall/cold front going through on Monday, with a rash of showers following on behind. Higher ground over parts of Devon/Cornwall/Somerset etc may see some wintriness mixed in with heavy showers - run of the mill stuff for those kind of set ups.

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Oh no not again...in the local rag this morning..

OK Come on own up who uses the Dorset Snow alias, posting Netweather snow forecast charts to support their comment?

SNOW could be seen for the first time this winter next week – but it’s “unlikely” to settle.

Dorset Snow said: “At seven days range it’s unlikely to verify, but about as much hope as we’ve had all winter. Settling snow very unlikely.”

Dorset Snow @DorsetSnow

GFS continuing to show the risk of some wintry precipitation early next week. Could we finally see our first snow flakes of winter 19/20?

See Dorset Snow 's other Tweets

He said that the signs were there could be a “brief cool snap.

Bournemouth Airport was named one of the coldest places in the UK on Monday night.

Wimborne-based forecaster Wessex Weather said temperatures plunged to -4.4C.

According to the Met Office, the weather over the next few days will be cloudy with temperatures reaching 11C on Monday.

Definitely an Atlantic driven setup is due to re-establish over NW Europe beyond Sunday, with a powerful jet exiting the US and moving across the Atlantic. Yes, likely that Northern areas of the UK may get some wintry showers at times, but down here, I'd say very unlikely IMO, especially away from higher ground. 

We need some sort of dramatic pattern change over the next month to see any type of snowfall, Europe and Scandinavia are also much warmer than average, so there is also a lack of cold pools around us. Our cold outbreaks (if any!) are likely to come from the NW. 

Will this be the winter without any cold snaps? Reminds me of the early 2000s! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Grey and murky today, a far call from the brightness of the past few days. The temperature began to rise soon after midnight with an overnight low of -1.1°C at.. midnight. 

It is currently 6.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very different to yesterday’s blue skies, cloudy all day today with occasional drizzle. Reached 6.4°C, currently 6.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

6.2C was the high, grey all day with a hint of drizzle in the air.

Not far from that now at 5.8°C

Posted

Yesterday was very foggy with thick fog all day that never cleared and started with a slight frost. Today had no frost and started with some fog but that cleared to give way to dull grey skies. At least we had weather that resembled winter these past few days!

Posted

What a dull and boring day, weatherwise. Currently 6.1°C after struggling up to 6.5°C at: 14:20...

Shows how boring it has been this winter, as I'm the only poster in this thread ALL day...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
17 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

What a dull and boring day, weatherwise. Currently 6.1°C after struggling up to 6.5°C at: 14:20...

Shows how boring it has been this winter, as I'm the only poster in this thread ALL day...

I just hope that we get some snow in February or March at some point. If not then a really hot summer with some exciting thunderstorms might just about make up for it. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I just hope that we get some snow in February or March at some point. If not then a really hot summer with some exciting thunderstorms might just about make up for it. 

As much as the straw clutching ever hopefuls on the MOD thread just keep hanging in there, I'm not convinced the dice is going to roll for us. I'm still cautious that the strength of the tPV keeps itself together until the longer days return, and we end up with a a cool, damp Spring, until it finally exits...stage left.or right...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dull all day, nothing else to say. Reached 6.7°C, currently 5.8°C

Posted
3 hours ago, Leon1 said:

Since this winter has been devoid of any hint of excitement there would be a lot to make up for. 

• Like 1

Posted

Another dull, murky day to add to the list, thankful for the nice weekend just gone, just some brighter days would do nicely. Currently 5.6°C

Max 6.8°C

Min 5.6°C

Posted

Another grey day here with spits of drizzle at times. It reached 6.1°C @ 14:03.. currently 4.5°C

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

So after 4 perfect winter days Wednesday was vile with drizzle all day, yesterday had one shade of grey all day (but with no drizzle) and now this morning it’s drizzling again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

So many people in the mod thread just wishing they could get to see some snow falling from this terrible winter, they should move to west country as I saw some back in November.

I  posted about it in this thread at the time, ok there was plenty of rain falling as well aka sleet but there was plenty of snow flakes falling too. I remember plenty of snow reports coming in, mainly from high ground but there was no wind that morning so must of been some   evaporative cooling happening during the heavier bursts. Remember thinking at the time that seeing snow falling in late autumn might bode well for the coming winter, how wrong I was about that, so far anyway lol

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Smartie said:

So many people in the mod thread just wishing they could get to see some snow falling from this terrible winter, they should move to west country as I saw some back in November.

I  posted about it in this thread at the time, ok there was plenty of rain falling as well aka sleet but there was plenty of snow flakes falling too. I remember plenty of snow reports coming in, mainly from high ground but there was no wind that morning so must of been some   evaporative cooling happening during the heavier bursts. Remember thinking at the time that seeing snow falling in late autumn might bode well for the coming winter, how wrong I was about that, so far anyway lol

Was one of the best surprises I can remember was not even a hint of wintry weather forecast here!

91739B61-4811-467A-969E-184C219FBC49.thumb.png.7e9209b27f8b1c7b294bf6c1956433b7.png
3D2DDE59-E76E-49F0-90A9-AEFF31C46F1E.thumb.jpeg.7d948d9916024a72e3faab66d441e81a.jpeg

If we don’t see any wintry weather for the rest of the winter I’ll be glad this happened!

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, TomW said:

Was one of the best surprises I can remember was not even a hint of wintry weather forecast here!

91739B61-4811-467A-969E-184C219FBC49.thumb.png.7e9209b27f8b1c7b294bf6c1956433b7.png
3D2DDE59-E76E-49F0-90A9-AEFF31C46F1E.thumb.jpeg.7d948d9916024a72e3faab66d441e81a.jpeg

If we don’t see any wintry weather for the rest of the winter I’ll be glad this happened!

M5 / M4 event we certainly didn't seek such an event..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
On 23/01/2020 at 17:00, Dorsetbred said:

As much as the straw clutching ever hopefuls on the MOD thread just keep hanging in there, I'm not convinced the dice is going to roll for us. I'm still cautious that the strength of the tPV keeps itself together until the longer days return, and we end up with a a cool, damp Spring, until it finally exits...stage left.or right...

I'm cautiously optimistic but at least I actually got some in November and the south-west was the only place to get a big snowfall last year I think. So we've been luckier than most I guess. 

22 hours ago, matt111 said:

Since this winter has been devoid of any hint of excitement there would be a lot to make up for. 

Yeah I just hope we get something else, even if it is small - though a proper cold and snow event would obviously be better. Sometimes they can creep up out of nowhere on the models maybe that will happen again. Always the chance of a cold March again but I'm not going to get excited for something until it's actually happening so I can't get disappointed. 

• Like 1

Posted

I hate to repeat myself but it's been... overcast and grey with the odd bit of drizzle... again... today. A max of 6.0°C. It is currently 5.5°C

Hopefully the unsettled weather after tomorrow isn't too long-lived, and we return to some brighter weather in Feb, and the placement of any high remains favourable so we aren't left with nothingness! Snow-wise... time is ticking but I hope for just one day of some snow to say I've had some! Perhaps we were spoilt in March 2018 and with last year's little event at the end of Jan.

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 1

Posted

It’s a bit difficult not to be repetitive at the moment @CheesepuffScott

Dull and dry all day. Reached 7.4°C, currently 6.3°C

• Like 1