Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still 3.3°C here at the moment and only falling very slowly

Posted

Grass temperature here is already down to -1.7°C and the air temp +1.7. Had a marginal air frost last night to at -0.3 but a nice solid ground frost at -2.4, where it sat at 8am.

I see the latest UKV predicts an actual 1050 hPa here at 9 and 10 am Monday, after a near miss at 2 am. That WOULD be something for my record books, though I am currently 1mB adrift of their 10pm tonight prediction of 1036.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A high of 7.1°C today with mostly sunny skies all day.

Another cold and clear one tonight. -0.7°C

Posted

Beautiful day with sunshine dawn to dusk, with a high of 7.7°C and low humidity.

Pressure has continued to rise, will most likely break my station record data, going back 10 years!

Currently 0.5°C with clear skies. Pressure 1035mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Down to 1.3°C now but still only dropping at a painfully slow rate. Pressure up to 1037mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

-0.3°C here. Pressure is at 1038.03

My station record should be broken by lunchtime.

UKV has backed away from a wide 1050. Showing a small chance in Cornwall. However, I've never really followed and scrutinised SLP to this degree before.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

-0.3°C here. Pressure is at 1038.03

My station record should be broken by lunchtime.

UKV has backed away from a wide 1050. Showing a small chance in Cornwall. However, I've never really followed and scrutinised SLP to this degree before.

How accurate is your pressure reading?

Posted
3 minutes ago, TomW said:

How accurate is your pressure reading?

Pretty good to be fair. I'm anal with things like that, so I sometimes tweak it during stable high pressure events. I'm slap bang in between Portland and Bournemouth, and both of those stations read 1038 at 1am.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Pretty good to be fair. I'm anal with things like that, so I sometimes tweak it during stable high pressure events. I'm slap bang in between Portland and Bournemouth, and both of those stations read 1038 at 1am.

That's good then I use the vantage pro2 but i'm not sure how accurate it really is over time as I thought the traditional dial barometers were the best ones to own!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TomW said:

That's good then I use the vantage pro2 but i'm not sure how accurate it really is over time as I thought the traditional dial barometers were the best ones to own!

If you think about it, the accuracy of a barometer is irrelevant in some ways, as the relative slp should be adjusted, and also the altitude setting on the VP2 and Vue consoles.

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 1036mb here and slowly rising.

Temperatures tonight are following the same trend as last night, slowly dropping off then rising slightly. Hopefully tomorrow night is better for a good low and still can't get over I'm calling this low!

Currently 0.0°C. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

If you think about it, the accuracy of a barometer is irrelevant in some ways, as the relative slp should be adjusted, and also the altitude setting on the VP2 and Vue consoles.

I see where your coming from I tend to just adjust my vantage pro 2 to my local airport as its the only reading I know in my area to generally be accurate.

Edited by TomW

Posted
Just now, TomW said:

I see where your coming from I tend to just adjust my vantage pro 2 to the my local airport as its the only reading I know in my area to generally be accurate.

If you've set your altitude on the console and adjusted the relative pressure to your nearest airport, you should be in good stead!

What's your reading at the moment?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

If you've set your altitude on the console and adjusted the relative pressure to your nearest airport, you should be in good stead!

What's your reading at the moment?

It’s rising very rapidly tonight!

FE0C6628-0094-45FD-A7CB-2A4C47ADF457.thumb.jpeg.144320e97fb30659335420edef685505.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Something for the snow starved. Seven years ago today when I was living in Patchway, Bristol, in what was otherwise was a pretty mild winter.

FB_IMG_1579414577515.jpg

FB_IMG_1579414565142.jpg

FB_IMG_1579414554384.jpg

FB_IMG_1579414544887.jpg

FB_IMG_1579414527788.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Very cold this morning. Slight frost on the trees and thick frost on the grass, roofs, and cars. Something which has never happened before happened too. We got ice on the windows! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Another gorgeous frosty, cold morning following an overnight low of -2.3°C. Thick frost still hanging around even in the sunshine. The temperature has only managed to creep up to 2.5°C

Posted

Cold and clear last night with a low of -1.9°C.

Beautiful start today and can't see that changing! Also on pressure watch and we are currently at 1043.6 mb.

Currently 2.1°C with sunny skies.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Still -3.8c

Wondering if we'll get a sub zero maximum today? Would be first one in a long time!

Would be great but if you have sunshine that’s very unlikely. The maximum temperature will be around 15.00 .