Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Had a bit of heavy rain for about an hour and the wind dropped a bit but now it's stopped raining the winds back again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Similar here, after a slightly quieter period it’s turned very gusty again. 11.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Holy crapola! it's just as bad as it was this afternoon. I didn't see that one coming.

50mph now.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

All this wind and rain reminds me of that old Kinks record "All Day - and All Of The Night" !

But the UKV has been superb for here, I was able to give my daughter a blow by blow account of today and tonight's weather early this morning and it's spot on - with hours of it still to go.

The rain has never been what I'd call heavy but it's certainly persistent with drizzle filling in most of the the seemingly dry periods (from the radar).Now up to 16.6mm on the VP2 but will check that with the check gauge in a minute at the midnight hour. EDIT It's only 14.2mm in the check gauge, I think the gusts may have caused some phantiom bucket tips.

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

There she blows, still rather gusty here. I thought it was calming down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still very windy. It's been this windy for over 12 hours now. 

Posted

The last 24 hours reminds me of those occasional southwesterly 'streamers'  that can cause horrendous amounts of orographic rain in the Lake District if aligned over that location. We are fortunate that the bulk of it's been over relatively lowland England!

So here, 14.2 mm yesterday and just over 5mm this morning so far but with more to come. And it's been windy throughout,. thoroughly miserable winter weather "but at least it is mild" lol.

Posted
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It has all calmed down now. Several hours before what the forecast said. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rain, either. It has just been drizzly here today.

Hmmm, I suspect a different view today as it continues to rain, even your site reported 25mm for yesterday..

And...it is still raining now,..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
30 minutes ago, DaveL said:

The last 24 hours reminds me of those occasional southwesterly 'streamers'  that can cause horrendous amounts of orographic rain in the Lake District if aligned over that location. We are fortunate that the bulk of it's been over relatively lowland England!

So here, 14.2 mm yesterday and just over 5mm this morning so far but with more to come. And it's been windy throughout,. thoroughly miserable winter weather "but at least it is mild" lol.

You definitely living in a drier part of the world as coastal wise I picked up 23mm yesterday & already @10mm for today, so that is certainly a lot higher than your drier part of the world. So far only 1 dry day for the month of January where I live..Still looking like another hour or so of rainfall here as it moves away in an easterly direction, so you might well see a good top up yet as things still head your way

Posted

The strong wind finally let up at 1am.
That was 13 hours or so hours of 35-50 mph gusts.
The rain was certainly not as heavy as forecast, just drizzly showers, 7.9 mm yesterday, with 5.5 mm since midnight.
Drizzly showers this morning, Westerly winds 6 mph, 1003 hpa and rising fast. 

Posted

A noisy night here, though I suspect our western facing bedroom made it sound worse than it was - however the wind was so loud I actually ended up dreaming about it and it pushed rain through the sealant on the double glazing.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

19.1mm in last 24 hours.  Persistent but rarely heavy, not aware of the rain in the night in spite of having windows(facing NE) open.  Still grey but only odd showers on the radar.

Posted

Quite a soggy morning here and dull as usual, hope the sun does make a appearance today. 6.4°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

12mm yesterday and some showers this morning. Windy yesterday but nothing too dramatic. I feel like I’ve been in a weather bubble compared to some.

Yesterday was actually the third second January maximum I’ve ever recorded. January 24th 2016 hit 14.0C and my grandad recorded 14.2C on January 29th 2002. Both of those days were much calmer and intermittently bright though.

Much fresher this morning at 6C.

Posted

A loud night, especially around 2am when the decaying squall front passed through. Around 12.7mm of rain fell here since midnight, with 25.1mm overall since the event started yesterday. Awaiting the response from the local rivers, which are still high following December's rainfall.

Currently the sun is starting to come through and feeling colder, 6.8°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Flooding and huge puddles everywhere around Heathrow. The front is clearing with blue sky now visible to the west. 

Posted

Sunny spells now after an eventful night. 7.8°C

Posted

Interesting comment from the MetO, even though we know their perspective on these weather events, from the local rag:

TheWeatherOutlook@TWOweather

· 3h

@Petagna @metoffice why didn't we have Storm Ciara yesterday? Surely the disruption and damaged caused by the secondary low (public don't care the technicalities I think) was enough to warrant the UK Met Office naming it?

Met Office✔@metoffice

Hi there, our warnings are based on likelihood and impacts. Brendan was named by the Irish Met Service and it was decided the last system didn't warrant naming.

Call it what you flippin like, it still resulted in localised flooding, trees downed, roads blocked, rail services stopped, ferry services suspended. OH YES, and the Environment Agency issued FLOOD warnings urging immediate action have been issued in coastal areas of Dorset as tidal surges

So much for your likelihood and impacts analysis..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 3

Posted

A lot of surface water this morning with some flooding up the Borough in Downton, a few trees down in the nearby forest, too. Certainly more disruption than 'Brendan' but I wasn't surprised it wasn't named, looking at past wind events where it's been stronger than named storms.