Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A shiny new thread to start the new year. 

Happy new year to all of the region, both posters and lurkers! 

Old thread can be found here

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Happy New Year everyone.

A grey start to 2020, with a low of 6.4c at 6am, now 6.8c.
No rain now for six days, except a little drizzle now and again during the week, since that 18mm on Boxing Day.
Wind is NE and bringing some colder day temps and light so far today, after quite a breezy day here yesterday. 

Less rain last year than the 749 we had in 2018 year, but more than the 635 in 2017.

In 2019 by month;
18.7 + 56.2 + 52.4 + 24 + 13.4 + 70.1 + 45.8 + 41.9 + 98.1 + 97.1 + 97.2 + 124.4 = 739.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Happy New Year fellow southwesterners and west countriers! 

2020 starts as 2019 left. Grey, misty and neither cold nor mild. Very boring and unseasonal outlook too so maybe this decade I’ll have to find some other interests. Weather is a huge interest of mine aside from running a business but my word it got boring as the decade went on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good morning and happy New Year to all. Hope everybody had a good night.

It got down to 5.0°C at 06:20.. currently 6.6°C with grey skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Happy New Year all, I hope 2020 is a hot summer and 20 feet of snow in the winter

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rich_Clements said:

Happy New Year all, I hope 2020 is a hot summer and 20 feet of snow in the winter

HaHa, yes it would be if you lived in the European Alps! meanwhile here, a quick check...Overcast..Yup, Drizzle...Yup...2020 continues as 2019 December left .....Yup..

Currently 6.8°C, with a slight breeze in from the ESE (105°)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Now it’s raining! Can’t even get the forecast right a day in advance... bodes well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Happy New year to all, wishing everything a healthy and a happy weather 2020!

Not many but here is a little mixture of images from 2019

Shanklin big mead milkyway.jpg

Steep hill cove Lightning.jpg

Fungi Garden.jpg

Brightstone Autumn colors November.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Wettest day of the year! Temp 8.2°C.

For a moment I was like what?? then remembered yeah new year. 

Very overcast here. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dull all day with drizzle at times, hardly seen any sun since Christmas Day apart from a bit of hazy sun for a time on Monday afternoon. Currently 7.7°C which is the highest it's been all day. 

Posted

Drizzle has now turned into a light rain here, and yet in Bournemouth it's dry, arrive home and it's raining, ah well, I think I'll ignore the WS synopsis which suggests "Night time/Dry/Cloudy with clear patches..." :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Another dull day here with some patchy drizzle earlier. Reached 7.6°C, currently on the 6.5°C we’ve been on for the past 6 hours thereabouts 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
12 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Drizzle has now turned into a light rain here, and yet in Bournemouth it's dry, arrive home and it's raining, ah well, I think I'll ignore the WS synopsis which suggests "Night time/Dry/Cloudy with clear patches..." :nonono:

Indeed Dorsetbred 

The weather is so bored with itself that can barely be bothered to change the max and min temps the last five days or move the clouds for that matter 

Posted

Grey and dull this morning. More than one shade of grey at least....

Posted

Grey day with a little rain at 6am, 0.4mm
Been around 8c for the last day and night and with that NE to E wind making it feel a lot colder.
But its warming up nicely today with the wind SSW, now 9.5c and not that chilly feeling.

Posted

Morning All, after a mild night, we are in double figures today, currently 10.2°C and overcast, light breeze (9mph) in from the SW (226°)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yet another dull day today but looks like we might see the sun tomorrow for a change. 10.0°C 

Posted

Another dull and gloomy day although we had some brightness this morning for a time.

Currently 8.3°C after a high of 9.2°C earlier

Posted

100% rain days so far this year, as the drizzle comes on down and it gets dark by 4pm (ish) due to the low cloud. who knows the seasons may change and spring might appear tomorrow..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Talking of the drizzle, none of the BBC's national forecasts mentioned it as a possibility for yesterday in the late Tuesday forecasts, not even in the early morning 'midnight' BBC One forecast. The BBC South regional forecast did, however, say that the odd patch of drizzle could occur hereabouts overnight (early New Year's Day) so some kudos to them, it was just an afterthought though and few would have noticed.

However, in Fareham it was quite wet in the early evening with periods of really annoying horrid drizzle - below 0.2mm of it before midnight where I live (I record calendar days) but I'd estimate more in central Fareham and Gosport where I was visiting.  None of it showed up even faintly on the radar.

Same thing in the forecasts for today - "Dry" on the national forecasts, but some drizzle in places was correctly mentioned on the regional - 1mm so far today - so they again did better. And this time, some of it showed up on the radar.

Who'd be a weather forecaster, eh?

Edited by DaveL

Posted
4 minutes ago, Oblix said:

When will this dull boring weather change? It's been so benign for so long!

Hopefully something will change later in January.

Well it looks like it'll be sunny tomorrow. Nothing overly exciting but still better than the last few days.