Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Year 1995 Arctic blast

Weather-history

Posted

New Year 1995 (25 years ago) brought an Arctic blast. I remember snow here New Year's Eve 1994 clearing in the afternoon for a bitterly cold frosty midnight. Snow showers drifted in from the Irish Sea during New Year's morning. It was the start of one of the best years for weather 

Rrea00119950101.gif

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Winter 1994-95 was a mild one overall with only occasional short lived colder shots, such as like the one you mention.  The winter that followed was much colder though, and winter 1995-96 was generally among the best for cold weather in the 1990s and 2000s put together, and among the best winter for cold between the mid 1980s and 2009-10.

Posted
3 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Winter 1994-95 was a mild one overall with only occasional short lived colder shots, such as like the one you mention.  The winter that followed was much colder though, and winter 1995-96 was generally among the best for cold weather in the 1990s and 2000s put together, and among the best winter for cold between the mid 1980s and 2009-10.

Why do I always think of Robert Miles’ song Children when reading about winter 95/96. 

The cold just seemed to last for ages during that winter, and even the spring was very cold that year. I remember having the heating on in mid to late May. 

Then things warmed up in June, and thunderstorms arrived over southern England. 

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

tha days! '97 better for here though

Old muggins here got nowt on either occasion!

Posted

Remember this well, a very shortlived cold snap, but it did give a snowy New Years Day, the snow thawed by the 3rd. The rest of January was mostly mild and very wet, but there was another very shortlived snowy spell later in the month.

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Remember this well, a very shortlived cold snap, but it did give a snowy New Years Day, the snow thawed by the 3rd. The rest of January was mostly mild and very wet, but there was another very shortlived snowy spell later in the month.

A million times better than the current outlook!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have posted about this event before but for many years I couldn't really remember what happened, mainly because I had jumbled-up weather memories from 31 December 1994 and 1 January 1995 and needed some detective work to match the memories up to the corresponding dates.  

In Cleadon in Tyne and Wear there was rain and sleet overnight 30th/31st followed by snow showers on the afternoon of the 31st which failed to settle.  For most of the rest of that spell, it was a case of showers just missing the Tyneside coast and hitting the North York Moors due to the slight westerly component to the wind direction, but at around mid-morning on New Year's Day the trough highlighted on Rob McElwee's forecast came down from the north and gave a snow shower and a covering.  I don't remember how long the covering lasted for, but temperatures remained somewhat below normal on the 2nd and 3rd also.

There was indeed further snow late on in that month - some inland parts of the region had lying snow on 25 January and more widely late on 27 January, with a slushy covering accumulating near the coast for a time, and then the coast had some snow showers overnight on 29/30 January.  

That New Year northerly was a pretty fitting start to what still stands out for me as the most exciting year for weather that I have personally lived through.  It was also capped near the end by a white Christmas from another northerly.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I remember this, it was 1st Jan 1995, I was a few weeks away from my 9th birthday and by late afternoon on that New Years Day we had a pretty unexpected, quite heavy snowfall here In London. It cleared to leave a cold and frosty evening.