Sign in to follow this  
Zak M

Thunderstorms in Florida

I've decided that I wanted to create a thread of where I post all the thunderstorms I've encountered in Florida without being moaned at 🙂 (and perhaps you guys can post them too!). I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I hope I am.

If anyone doesn't know, Florida in the summer is one of the thunderstorm hotspots of the world. Sea breezes from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic both collide together, causing the breezes to rise upwards and form thunderheads at staggering heights.

My journey to Florida this year was the most memorable. I had 17 thunder days out of the 18 days I stayed!

So I'll share all the storms I've had in Florida this summer here! 🙂

• Like 5

Just created this video. Took me a long time to edit!

More videos coming soon 🙂

• Like 5

In the afternoon of the 4th of August 2019, a small thunderstorm developed to the NW, producing some decent lightning strikes, some thunder, and even a positive strike. Then about an hour after the storm decayed, a new one developed to the south, bringing some close lightning strikes and loud thunder.

Not much lightning was picked up in the video unfortunately.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

I've never been lucky enough to witness a Florida storm, so keep them coming!

• Like 1

The closest strike I have ever caught on camera in Florida is now on YouTube!

It still bugs me to this day to not have caught the actual bolt of the lightning strike. It was to the right of the camera (as you can tell from the light) and struck beside a house about 50 meters away from me.

Mad stuff!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

When I went in 2014 there wasn't too much convergence of the sea breezes (I was in Orlando) and I think there was only 2-3 days that had storms, the rest were broadly just sunny days with low level cumulus. Most of the those storms came in the first 2 days (It was awesome seeing clouds just sit in one place and blow up in situ due to the convergence).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kold weather said:

When I went in 2014 there wasn't too much convergence of the sea breezes (I was in Orlando) and I think there was only 2-3 days that had storms, the rest were broadly just sunny days with low level cumulus. Most of the those storms came in the first 2 days (It was awesome seeing clouds just sit in one place and blow up in situ due to the convergence).

Nice. How long did you go for and what month? Because usually July is where the Florida storms peak, other months like June and August don't see a storm every single day.

This is one of my favourite videos from the storm on the 29th July.

Very close lightning strikes and torrential rain can be seen. The closest strikes are at 1:18, 1:59 and 4:23. I headed inside after the strike at 4:23 because it was that close!

Some of the audio in the video was used in the video 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse'.

• Like 1

Going there for the 7th time this year, in the last 12 years. Cracking holiday, where the storms are the best, all year round.

• Like 1

I’ve been to Orlando over 40 times in the last 25 years, and the storms are always a massive highlight for me!

This picture was from September 5th 2017 when a strong squall line moved through Orlando from the west. Only a phone pic whilst i was enjoying a beer and watching the light show!

2 trips booked this year although not in peak storm time. Over the years I’ve found June to be the best for them 🌩👍🏻

9F2E3D50-FF48-4966-BB55-A9D4A63A2FC7.jpeg

• Like 1

Starting to post here again!

This thunderstorm was on the same date as the 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse' video, and some of the clips were used in this video too. A multi-cell thunderstorm produced frequent lightning and thunder. Some close strikes are seen in this video, as well as some clear air strikes (not positive I think).

Also, if anyone can tell me what the ominous cloud at 0:23 is in the video, please let me know 🙂

• Like 1

Used to go every before we had kids! Loved doing a park and then watching the Clouds grow in the afternoon whilst queuing haha!

Actually going again end of May/early June for the first time in about 6 years, kids are old enough now to appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing some Storms!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zak M said:

Starting to post here again!

This thunderstorm was on the same date as the 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse' video, and some of the clips were used in this video too. A multi-cell thunderstorm produced frequent lightning and thunder. Some close strikes are seen in this video, as well as some clear air strikes (not positive I think).

Also, if anyone can tell me what the ominous cloud at 0:23 is in the video, please let me know 🙂

I agree with the video, likely wall cloud, though obviously very rain-wrapped and hard to discern 🙂 

• Like 2

More timelapse videos are here!

Some of these videos have been used before in other Florida thunderstorm videos, but I decided to collect most of the timelapse videos I recorded and put it into a compilation, along with some loud cracks of thunder that I recorded myself, and some nice background music.

A part 2 will be coming soon 🙂

• Like 2

This video features some evening thunderstorms put together into a timelapse. These were all in one day (27th July)

There's also some nice lightning strikes within a cumulonimbus at the end of the video.

• Like 2