Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into Christmas

Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well that was a short lived chase wasn't it?

image.thumb.png.b71fe4036b87c5de564dd3651af553a7.png

image.thumb.png.3d92e1ed23f9e75678a59503c370a70b.png

Horrific, I’ll let the 12z role out before conceding to that garden path again. Between Xmas and New year a HP over central MED now looks odds on (not ideal for skiers overs that period with regards fresh snow). After New year is still open for anything 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well that was a short lived chase wasn't it?

image.thumb.png.b71fe4036b87c5de564dd3651af553a7.png

image.thumb.png.3d92e1ed23f9e75678a59503c370a70b.png

Yes looking a those ensembles and just reading GP thoughts looks a very brief respite to the wind and rain. Will be nice to have a more seasonal feel to the Xmas period before Atlantic onslaught begins again unfortunately 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well Don, I feel that (had I seen reason to feel 'led up the garden path') it'd be more to do with some posters' far-fetched predictions, than with anything the models have been indicating...?:santa-emoji:

Post of the winter so far.hope springs eternal but realism isn't s bad trait.i think Steve murr is respected and rightly so.he does seem to be becoming the Michael Bublé of net weather tho.

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted

I don’t get how this looks so good after a less than great set of ENS!! Any ideas??? 

6CDC7B84-ED78-448A-A2D1-215320287EF3.png

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
26 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

I reckon it will flatten out soon into New Year.

There is a narrow window for a wave 2 induced pattern (high pressure centred close to UK) arising from a recent enhanced trade / reduced westerly across the central Equatorial Pacific and spike in tendency in angular momentum. Worth noting the direct correlation with this in the polar stratospheric pattern.

1459891578_pacifctrades.thumb.png.2d981a4b1592f2406ae2c0026d7d33bc.png

However, that won't last long. GFS suggesting a westerly wind burst across the central regions of the Equatorial Pacific in the next week.

u_anom_30.5S-5N.thumb.gif.44a22f00625a6775f6b76a969d7d95e8.gif

That will increase angular momentum and trend more to a wave 1 pattern (both tropospheric and stratospheric) with associated lowering of surface pressures in the North Atlantic and dropping of Arctic air mass into the mid West States of the US. That should fire up the jet across the North Atlantic displacing any mid latitude ridge across North-west Europe. Strong presumption for jet angled NW-SE into Europe with moderate level +ve heights to our north within this regime. 

195348785_janz500.thumb.png.a9b7d3dd98475574a3e894ab15ff5bd5.pnggefs.thumb.png.195c38c1f48bbe1d9a87146b06b309c6.png

GEFS 06z ensemble mean makes perfect sense to me within that broad context.

What does strike me from current modelling is the propensity for scrambling of the mid layer flows across the North Atlantic, probably the low solar conditions beginning to take effect. Therefore, heights likely to be greater to our north than analogue guidance would suggest - but still overall signal is for troughing across NW Europe beyond next week's ridge.

A flattening was always the likely longer solution, but It is still good to see a number of colder drivers progressing as they are. Jet angle, if is remains at that angle, will eventually create better options once climatological peak of Atlantic strength has passed and next round of forcing creates ever more potent wave breaking in second half of winter.

I still find myself thinking though that models have misread the Pacific this month and more forcing is present than they are spying. EAMT will help with Pacific wave break and downstream amplification. Flattening of the pattern may take longer than expected.?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Remember - Those EPS clusters - the anomaly is coloured - the contours show where the ridges and troughs are although it represents the upper pattern not the surface, if the higher number is to the South and the lower number to the North, that means the ridge is to the South, regardless of shading, the shading just indicates deviation from the norm, which is good for an indication of how strong or weak the ridge or trough is.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Catacol said:

In the more reliable there are a range of cluster options

image.thumb.png.bf3981c4b17b1ce6f6da9fad617df18f.png

demonstrating the variation in height anomaly location. Posting a 300h+ cluster spread is more for fun than for accuracy as you well know but it does demonstrate an ongoing trend when combined with GEFS runs. Not a snap viewing. Given your Met background I wouldn’t dream of comparing my own chart reading skills with yours honed over many seasons.

And as I've said before on a number of occasions, I do not find it that easy deducing the surface analysis from these map projections

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Horrific, I’ll let the 12z role out before conceding to that garden path again. Between Xmas and New year a HP over central MED now looks odds on (not ideal for skiers overs that period with regards fresh snow). After New year is still open for anything 

?

image.thumb.png.109e4a5dc12d156552492a5f730c741c.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

And as I've said before on a number of occasions, I do not find it that easy deducing the surface analysis from these map projections

Yes - anomalies are only relative indicators and do not demonstrate surface patterns, but they do indicate forcings in that pattern. However 120h is the sensible window for surface detail and in that sphere you hold top spot.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

?

image.thumb.png.109e4a5dc12d156552492a5f730c741c.png

HP over Central Europe I meant (it’s why I mentioned Skiers) , looks drier for us as I said. But compared to earlier ENS runs its rubbish. Not writing anything off though, just saying it how it is, going off this particular run. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I don’t get how this looks so good after a less than great set of ENS!! Any ideas??? 

6CDC7B84-ED78-448A-A2D1-215320287EF3.png

Yes - i know why - its yesterdays.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

+EAMT might be overdone on 5 day averages, an angular momentum uptick / GSDM may be more low amplitude that first thought.

Possibly...and one of the conundrums of this winter so far. Magnitude of Pacific signal has been veiled and progress of the convection signal seems to have varied enormously in modelling. 

And yes - “eventually”

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Possibly...and one of the conundrums of this winter so far. Magnitude of Pacific signal has been veiled and progress of the convection signal seems to have varied enormously in modelling. 

And yes - “eventually”

One of the outcomes manifested by the unusual occurrence of a record strength +IOD event outside of a strong El Nino. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - i know why - its yesterdays.

That’ll be why , doh!! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Trend continues to be good. New Years Day clusters - 70% see a block heading closer and closer to high lat...

image.thumb.png.5463591ffce47fe55460cdca22f61ef3.png

Will it get there properly and embed, or will it flatten in the days after? Still a decent amplitude Pacific signal on NYD so amplification signal still present at that point.

image.thumb.png.8c0c028d26b8b0200248d30a84d23d79.png

70%?
both high anomoly clusters are not upper ridges gaining enough traction (remember these are clusters not means so it’s reasonable that they show an upper high at a high enough latatiude whereas a mean will not at that range) 

looks like a 33% chance of an Azores ridge extending towards scandi .... overall, it looks like the pattern remains too fluid but it could be that the nwp is still adjusting 

still astride the fence and not currently  expecting to land on the wintry side .....,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

It's one run wait until the 12z and see where for cold prospects 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
17 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

My thoughts would be as highlighted. Think of loading a dice. Currently 35-65 against. The more we progress down the road of +IOD / +ENSO climatology / weakening of the wQBO, the greater the loading in favour of colder outcomes.

+EAMT might be overdone on 5 day averages, an angular momentum uptick / GSDM may be more low amplitude that first thought.

@Glacier Point January will be interesting to watch unfold weather we manage to hang on to the southerly tracking jet stream to enable the throughing to dive in deeper in to Europe to prevent a Euro high pressure, from your thoughts it doesn't look like Euro high will be on the menu, quite the opposite, which is always a preferred option. Anomaly like this may not be far away from reality then

75580192_434255490597936_1222819172476518400_n.jpg

Posted
6 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

One of the outcomes manifested by the unusual occurrence of a record strength +IOD event outside of a strong El Nino. 

+IOD as a gateway to Nina in 2020? Lots going on that is unusual from season to season which I guess is why unusually weighted synoptics are possible when the drivers creating the wave pattern are disguised. Agree on tendency for energy flows to fragment - low solar weakening the flow further. Hence optimism for a pattern op that clicks eventually.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

An interesting set of GEFS 06Z ensembles; though they don't tell us what the weather'll be like, in 12-days' time, they certainly do provide a measure of the level of uncertainty involved:

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

both high anomoly clusters are not upper ridges gaining enough traction (remember these are clusters not means so it’s reasonable that they show an upper high at a high enough latatiude whereas a mean will not at that range) 

Which perhaps is a lead in to a debate on mean v cluster. I have come to think that means are somewhat misleading in that they don’t pay anything like enough attention to lower atmospheric flows. The cluster charts provide a better window into probability and also a slightly more useful way of trying to predict surface conditions, though as Knocker has said today they are a long way from being the key tap hat unlocks that door.

Anyway I agree - winter nirvana is not showing yet on NWP and it may fade before establishing a resilient block in the right area but there is enough evidence showing an upcoming change to tweak interest.

• Like 6