Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Atiyah - Atlantic storm No1

Jo Farrow

Most places still experiencing 30 to 40mph gusts and some of the Western coasts around 50mph. Some parts of Ireland reporting over 60mph.

Fastnest Lighthouse reported a 96mph gust just after 3.30pm this afternoon. The next few hours we will see the winds increase further.

Lastest satellite image taken at 3.45pm shows the low just off the West coast of Scotland,

Untitled.thumb.png.4c4a4532c9a1f67e49266991b5524eae.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

for those people saying it won't be anything special. Westward Ho! predicted wind speeds - mean speeds into the 40's mph and gusting to low 70's - Devon & Cornwall at least... batten down the hatches !! (early hours of Monday morning for the worst of it) - I'm sure glad, my roof got re done

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

for those people saying it won't be anything special. Westward Ho! predicted wind speeds - mean speeds into the 40's mph and gusting to low 70's - Devon & Cornwall at least... batten down the hatches !! (early hours of Monday morning for the worst of it) - I'm sure glad, my roof got re done

Different story for that location, that's for sure.

Forecast wind speeds have dropped further for around here. Gust speeds are showing lower than last night's.

Posted
10 hours ago, Surrey said:

Nothing spectacular about this storm.. Usual places will get the strongest of winds... Standard affair.. .Looking ahead though certainly southern England looks to take a battering 

Let's wait until the stormy weather in question has passed before we make assumptions like that. Not saying you'll necessarily be wrong mind. 

Inland parts of southwest England and South Wales likely to have some high gusts later in the night 60-70mph possible but locally more especially along the usual coast line and the Irish Sea detail still uncertain about the eastward extent of these Very strong gusts atm. for many other areas of England and Wales it will turn very windy later in the night. Then Eastern coasts by tomorrow mid morning. 

Edited by jordan smith

Posted

Storm satellite shows the swirl nicely too just to the west of Scotland. 

Some thunder possible in some of the showers associated with this storm pushing into Western areas. 

RDT_2019128_1730.thumb.jpg.1745b77afe77fc498589953860b49e20.jpg

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

We had a flurry of hail and 4 or 5 lightning flashes around 4pm here in Weston-super-Mare.

Went incredibly dark, boom, bang, splash then blue skies came past. X

Went onto Weather Underground where many personal/private owned weather stations can be viewed below are some of the highest gusts around the Irish West and South coast,

Blennerville 80mph
Dooneen Pier 75mph
Fenit, Co. Kerry 74mph
Ahakista 68mph
Sneem, seaview 65mph
CORCLOGH WEST 63mph
Cromane, Killorglin Co. Kerry 62mph
Dooneen 62mph
Donal 60mph
Clew Bay 60mph

Top gusts so far for Irelands lighthouses and wave buoys,

Fastnet Lighthouse 98mph
Ballybunion Buoy 75mph
Finnis Buoy 71mph
South Rock Buoy 69mph
Splaugh Buoy 58mph
South Hunter Buoy 58mph
Dublin Bay Buoy 56mph
Coningbeg Buoy 55mph
Foyle Buoy 53mph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Wet and wild here at the moment with hail, thunder, lightning and blustery winds. Time to batten down the hatches ...

RED Warning 08.12.19.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
18 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Met Éireann have issued a status red for Kerry from 4pm to 7pm

Storm Atiyah: West to southwest winds veering northwest will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with gusts in excess of 130km/h for a time this evening. Extreme caution is advised, especially near the coast and on high ground.

Due to a combination of high seas and storm surge there is a possibility of coastal flooding.

Issued: Sunday 08 December 2019 10:00

Valid from: Sunday 08 December 2019 16:00 to Sunday 08 December 2019 19:00

https://www.met.ie/#

from yesterday evening

0912meteireannKerryRED.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Was up for most of the night watching the wind and it was worth it as it was fun and more enjoyable then normal due to there not being much rain. I saw flashes in three different areas in the distance so unless it was lightning i guess some areas not far from here must have had power problems.

I wasn't able to be outside and take readings but I would guess gusts were 25-45mph where we were based on how it looked and sounded, with isolated exposed spots having 45-65mph were power supply problems occurred.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Wild for the Channel Islands last night 

• Like 2