Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

You forgot to mention it’s 348 hours away. 

Just a mere technically that...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

JMA also say's YES!

J264-21.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I'm assuming this model is pretty much Cannon fodder? As that's one dramatic flip from SSW territory in yesterdays model run ensembles in January, to now well above average zonal winds?!

u10serie.png

2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

I'm assuming this model is pretty much Cannon fodder? As that's one dramatic flip from SSW territory in yesterdays model run ensembles in January, to now well above average zonal winds?!

u10serie.png

models can and do flip pretty quick , if there sniffing out something ....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Quick one before I go off to work, this is one of the most bizarre charts I've seen the GFS throw out in FI 

image.thumb.png.bf7c0bf7397d09075491f115b24f24e7.png

Monster block, but a monster PV!  Chances of seeing this exact scenario virtually 0% at this stage, but my god would something like this be fun to see play out...

• Like 7

Posted

EC/GFS both going for some sort of pressure rises near the UK around Christmas day..

Hopefully a trend maintained over the coming days ..

image.thumb.png.31e8608c34cb693bd1a4352ae1b3e615.png

The further west the high across Spain moves north the better- as can be seen by GFS.

image.thumb.png.3feefcca1a54c2edb7491cb166d77096.png

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh My (Sidney cover yer nuts!) the GFS 00Z at T+378 is a thing of beauty!:yahoo::clap::cold::drunk-emoji::snowman-emoji::santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And it looks as if that pesky European heat-dome is finally about to evaporate...?:drunk:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM still pushing a southerly just after xmas:

image.thumb.png.5a85400ac7693c547d9995ffaed9ec3f.pngimage.thumb.png.91938022022b1a7b78115ea30f2f5661.png

850s of 8-10c at the end of December is just a tad ridiculous though....we spent a good chunk of the first part of last summer chasing 850s that good!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

However, lest we get a tad too sanguine (guilty as charged!) the 00Z ensembles do contain some scatter:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

Baby steps. More runs needed!?:oldlaugh:

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh My (Sidney cover yer nuts!) the GFS 00Z at T+378 is a thing of beauty!:yahoo::clap::cold::drunk-emoji::snowman-emoji::santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And it looks as if that pesky European heat-dome is finally about to evaporate...?:drunk:

This-incredible-photo-captured-the-divine-moment-a-hungry-squirrel-looked-to-the-heavens-for-his-next-meal.thumb.jpg.a48eb3b0fe7bcba2dc1d5e0ca86b2112.jpg

Looks cold you can see the evolution below from the Gfs in FI ofcourse.

EUROPE_PRMSL_ZERO_264.thumb.jpg.a7a9a9c829493c65022bc3467d9e3d35.jpg

EUROPE_PRMSL_ZERO_312.thumb.jpg.462437f561f59e7af2fb011600ab6da5.jpg

EUROPE_PRMSL_ZERO_348.thumb.jpg.c37a0e25eca058d5cc528ce98000b31c.jpg

EUROPE_PRMSL_ZERO_372.thumb.jpg.11051a9eddd5acfdcb7c65e6e0a17d03.jpg

A notable low pressure progged by the Ecmwf for Christmas eve.. Then higher pressure building in for Christmas day.. 

2011459446_EUROPE_PRMSL_168(6).thumb.jpg.a8762eebddb6f47e78c2f3f3f80b0440.jpg

1332299934_EUROPE_PRMSL_HGT500_192(4).thumb.jpg.cc7e18673ea6587e907e446719e7c26d.jpg

Gem similar bringing in a deep low not as vigorous as the Ecmwf makes it but very unsettled for Christmas eve if this is correct.. But similar to the Ecmwf albeit differences in detail as you'd expect builds higher pressure behind this for Christmas day.. 

182004723_EUROPE_PRMSL_180(5).thumb.jpg.f864c652da25662bf886338c4cbeb864.jpg

1341966711_EUROPE_PRMSL_198(6).thumb.jpg.f973b88ac8b57d84704b52f16c206796.jpg

GFS different just has the low as a sort of wave feature to the south of us with higher pressure already over us but the same as the other two builds high pressure into the UK for the big day so atm there's decent agreement on that but could change ofcourse.  :oldgood:

GFS.. 

310590788_EUROPE_PRMSL_RAIN_180(2).thumb.jpg.e4ac6bba4b3fb82d941db05978381730.jpg

2015316327_EUROPE_PRMSL_180(6).thumb.jpg.5aac49f6476b0b4368101cb65f0ae367.jpg

1893285268_EUROPE_PRMSL_210(2).thumb.jpg.afb50f4b160db555d8df09d4388809eb.jpg

Until then very wet and windy at times through this week before we get to Christmas. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Definite trend of something a bit cooler/colder towards the end of the month on GEFS over the past 24 hours

P10 shows what’s possible.....
A70F4206-F178-40B8-8E7F-1FFD71E31C90.thumb.png.4e1d4aa85d92ba5f66be473111fa645e.png

• Like 3

Posted

countdown started :14 days of this 2019 year to go;  and alot is seen between 23-27 dec for a patternchange

the position of the note on the chart shows HP progress

gfs_nh-ehf-hgt_lonprs-xsect_20191216_f240.png

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

Posted

I've kept the EC 00z chart for the past 3 days and each one has been rather different, so not much solid guidance from it!

The first one is this morning and the second 2 days ago

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten ECMWF Europa 00Z

image.thumb.png.4d1028bbf02b31bcc529f2d902357a9e.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

However, lest we get a tad too sanguine (guilty as charged!) the 00Z ensembles do contain some scatter:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

Baby steps. More runs needed!?:oldlaugh:

Why more runs, I cannot see any signal of any definite trend so why have more runs? Or is it the hope that cold will appear?

All the models of any type seem to be struggling to get any definite pattern beyond 7-10 days ahead.

At some point, unless this winter is going to be totally different to any before we will get at least a cold spell, be that the end of this month or sometime in January or February, or indeed March. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
11 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Why more runs, I cannot see any signal of any definite trend so why have more runs? Or is it the hope that cold will appear?

All the models of any type seem to be struggling to get any definite pattern beyond 7-10 days ahead.

At some point, unless this winter is going to be totally different to any before we will get at least a cold spell, be that the end of this month or sometime in January or February, or indeed March. 

You need more runs John so as we can see a possible trend appear. To say we didn’t would suggest we know the direction we are heading

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
13 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

That is exactly why you need more runs, i take that to mean whatever timeframe you are looking to predict has no definite trend, so surely that means more runs are needed before you can make a judgement?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
12 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Hi John, I think that is a rhetorical question, at least knowing Ed's humour, and the emoji, it is my take!

More runs never hurt in the hunt for cold...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

A quick update from me how things look for central EU, it looks like we will be building a momentum towards colder regime after 26.12, @Catacol few members have us under -20C in the long run, the initial cool down looks to be quite slow as we are building cold air from scratch. Foehn effect today from Alps will push temperatures up towards 18C, that is some way to reach -20C from there, sincere hope if we get some cold weather that UK can tap on to some too.

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Sounds just like a met office weather outlook update not a scooby doo going forward.

Posted
43 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Summing up, to me, there is little indeed no signal for any cold air into the uk once this current coldish airmass clears later this week,  at least for 2 weeks? I never attempt to use these charts to go beyond 15-18 days.

The Ensembles and the operational have shown Cold air masses moving over the UK capable of producing snow over the last 7 days, so whilst a long deep cold spell is unlikely I wouldn't rule out a cold snap in week two. .

gfseu-1-192.png?6gfseu-9-192.png?6

6z Run showing a cold airmass

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1