Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Which will completely change next run, why bother even looking when there’s so much inconsistency between each model early on

Yes of course it will change but the point is that the ensembles seem to trending colder from around Christmas onwards. This is for East Anglia, those for the NE are similar so colder air from the east maybe?

Inkedgraphe_ens3.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not IMO, the most exciting set of GEFS ensembles I've ever seen; but, at least the scrag-end 'trend' is now downward!:oldgood:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

A question for @Glacier Point, if I may: Having never before never heard of the Indian Ocean Dipole, until very recently (it wasn't even important enough to be included in any of the teleconnection bumph, I've downloaded!) I'm wondering whether Nature has found another, more efficient/additional, way of dissipating heat toward the North Pole....? (I know that the current unusual situation may simply be a one-off.) TIA.:oldgrin:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
44 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

time_lon_EQ_hf_sst_uwnd_anom_anom_201908_201912_2019121203.thumb.png.35a5774171ebc0215768246a61cfe995.png

Recent uptick in easterly zonal winds across the Equator was pathetically weak and transient. No way there's going to be any settled spell of the back of that, so current drift in op GFS and ensemble guidance suggesting a more unsettled theme look on the mark to me.

That tropical wind profile suggests a return to low frequency Indian Ocean Dipole forcing. Expect troughing centred over the UK and near continent to be the key feature, in tandem with a -AO regime with moderate +ve height tendencies to the north - but not enough to properly displace Arctic airmasses. 

@Glacier Point isn't there a slight weakening forecast of IOD by looking at VP forecast? The profile to me looks similar to late November which combined with cyclonic wave break in Atlantic caused a short term flip in NAO

5A8AAEC2-443C-4270-8042-A5F3477EB333.png.2382691c43fdd4c387a3021c17e6323b.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

image.thumb.png.f3a92c2cf7a68e2f6141dffe5c18f3e1.png

Is the IOD that anomalous blue blob of cold just below the equator?

I think so and the cold water is killing prospects of MJO wave to propagate through eastwards in decent amplitude in order for it to generate wave train which can aid advection of blocking patterns I believe if not mistaken

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
12 minutes ago, jules216 said:

@Glacier Point isn't there a slight weakening forecast of IOD by looking at VP forecast? The profile to me looks similar to late November which combined with cyclonic wave break in Atlantic caused a short term flip in NAO

5A8AAEC2-443C-4270-8042-A5F3477EB333.png.2382691c43fdd4c387a3021c17e6323b.png

Still seeing convective centres 60W, 170E, 60E, which is symptomatic of the base state since the late part of the summer. The latter centre does look like weakening, but how much faith do you place in that persistent low frequency stuff fully disappearing ? Plus, atmosphere will be imprinted to a degree with this signal.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
7 minutes ago, jules216 said:

I think so and the cold water is killing prospects of MJO wave to propagate through eastwards in decent amplitude in order for it to generate wave train which can aid advection of blocking patterns I believe if not mistaken

I'm sure I read somewhere yesterday that the cold area is expected to warm over the next couple of weeks....

Posted
8 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Still seeing convective centres 60W, 170E, 60E, which is symptomatic of the base state since the late part of the summer. The latter centre does look like weakening, but how much faith do you place in that persistent low frequency stuff fully disappearing ? Plus, atmosphere will be imprinted to a degree with this signal.

@Glacier Point,so to a degree suggestion of similar pattern that we had in Autumn? Stuck through in vicinity of UK and subsequent Sceru high pressure?That would indeed lock the door to any attemp of Arctic air via North East pathway,perhaps more of temporary cold zonal north westerlies? Your seasonal anomaly for January had the through more inland in Europe rather then centered over UK,this would tie with -AO notion and NW-SE jet stream

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Yes of course it will change but the point is that the ensembles seem to trending colder from around Christmas onwards. This is for East Anglia, those for the NE are similar so colder air from the east maybe?

Inkedgraphe_ens3.gif

If that mean line starts getting close to -5c then we might be in business. At -1c it's just nothing but average winter weather, and at 10+ days out then it's as good as worthless.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

If that mean line starts getting close to -5c then we might be in business. At -1c it's just nothing but average winter weather, and at 10+ days out then it's as good as worthless.

It’s the direction of travel and an increase in colder ENS that’s more important in FI, nothing may come of it but the key word often used in here is - trend  - for the next few hours anyway!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

It’s the direction of travel and an increase in colder ENS that’s more important in FI, nothing may come of it but the key word often used in here is - trend  - for the next few hours anyway!! 

trend,potential oh dear.nearly as bad as the word "moist" anyway the ens are a mixed bag but who knows? Think Stewart"GP"kind of summed things up.think it's a case of sit and wait up to Xmas and new year.must admit I've slightly negative on this thread but that's 50years of watching weather and hopefully having a bit of exp.im a glass half full guy but I do appreciate people's thoughts and comments.they do seem optimistic looking at the background signals etc and mo.respect for keeping hunting however bad it looksbtw the charts look rank hahaha

Edited by swfc
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
28 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Nice updates today. AO tanking and NAO going in the right direction as well. 

Screenshot_20191212-143221.png

Screenshot_20191212-143309.png

Lovely stuff. I mean this is the hunt for cold thread after all and it's all about trends and what the charts show, whether they verify or not is entirely a different matter.

So looks like coldish weekend with snow chances for some, particularly in the Midlands and North of the country, then milder in the week or so before Christmas. After this possibly something colder as we head towards New Years but all a long way off of course so caution required, this idea of colder would fit in nicely with the AO/NAO going negative. :oldgood:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ICON less than great this afternoon it has to be said, let's hope it is just a blip. All about UKMO and ECM this evening.

iconnh-0-180.png?12-12

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

May be of interest.....

Definitely of interest, especially coming from one of the chief forecasters at the METO

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Definitely of interest, especially coming from one of the chief forecasters at the METO

wonder when that will show on the output if at all 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, swfc said:

wonder when that will show on the output if at all 

In time for Xmas you’d hope, but I imagine IF it does happen it’ll prob be nearer New Year. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Sliding under?

UN120-21.gif

UN144-21 (1).gif

That wretched high pressure across SE Europe is an absolute pain ..

Everything else about the 144 chart looks great for coldies.

Posted
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

Sliding under?

UN120-21.gif

UN144-21 (1).gif

Not so sure! - would the trough to our West / South west not bump into, be slowed down by the High-pressure over Greece ( if anything the trough might pump it up a little ) for balance it would certainly ramp up the interest if it did with what is a promising profile to our north.