Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted

yay gfs going for a colder xmas now,so much volatility in the model output at the moment,it’s hard to know where fl begins!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS 06z still going with the Christmas topple which could bring a seasonal tone to Northern areas:

anim_mll9.gifanim_uaw9.gif

Transitory but nice to see. Timing may vary as we get closer and hopefully we get upstream help to slow and build that ridge.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

GFS 06z still going with the Christmas topple which could bring a seasonal tone to Northern areas:

Transitory but nice to see. Timing may vary as we get closer and hopefully we get upstream help to slow and build that ridge.

Too much mobility at the moment  for a prolonged cold spell though,maybe a change in the New Year?

• Like 3

Posted

...the same old story in FI FWIW:

522085337_gfseu-0-288(2).thumb.png.80522abc5b41898d22b9762161f26f57.pnggfseu-12-288.thumb.png.de6c9795b32ae49c13b412fd384701ea.png

Monster Russian High, a massive anomaly and until that shoves east it is tough for anything but passing UK cold.

edit...as Sleety says above.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2

Posted

Amazing euro temp anomaly for late December in FI:

anim_pub6.gif

With this profile getting cold into the east will take time so a cold easterly will remain elusive until NH reset.

• Like 5

Morning peeps

Hope all are well, a sunny start to the day here in Walthamstow although there is a nip in the air.

So some sorts of NW or N is showing for the festive period but will this pattern pan out like this nearer to the time. With due respect to everyone I know at the moment anything showing better than the bleak pattern we are and have been stuck in gets the eye brows lifted. However Christmas day is still 10 Days away and the way our pattern is changing forecasting two days ahead seems a struggle at the moment. The models are all over the place and I think it will stay like this for the coming days. So my thoughts are Christmas Day is too far away yet to make any confidential forcast I am sure there will be many changes before we get there. 

As mentioned yesterday we do need some breakthrough  here, and one of the things that is imported I think is the temperatures to our east and north. Once we see these temperatures dropping fast then maybe tapping into something from that direction will be a worthwhile wait ( on the assumptions that all the blocks fall into place). It's a patience game for now. 

THE SEARCH FOR OUR WINTER WONDERLAND GOES ON

fingers crossed

wishing you all a great Sunday

all the best regards

• Like 7

Posted
24 minutes ago, IDO said:

anim_pub6.gif

With this profile getting cold into the east will take time so a cold easterly will remain elusive until NH reset.

Christmas thaw in the Alps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just a word of warning, the ecm 00z is an outlier:72B21E68-10EC-44EC-A3FB-87B2B68270B5.thumb.png.b12a5e6aa9c1e8df8d41daff62dc8923.png

looks lovely though...let’s hope it’s sniffed something out, unlikely as it may be.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Och well, small chances of a pattern-change sometime in the New Year, perhaps...But only eighteen hours remain, for the much-advertised 'front-loaded winter' scenario to materialise...? And, by golly, it'll need to be a severe 18 hours!:oldgrin:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

It's a funny old game, football?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
26 minutes ago, IDO said:

anim_pub6.gif

Yet on 31st we see this advancing SW....3 days later...not much time

BFTP

2142BFA3-EF7F-4922-A0A5-4E3FD9E694EC.png

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Just a word of warning, the ecm 00z is an outlier:72B21E68-10EC-44EC-A3FB-87B2B68270B5.thumb.png.b12a5e6aa9c1e8df8d41daff62dc8923.png

looks lovely though...let’s hope it’s sniffed something out, unlikely as it may be.

Yes, shock, a D10 ECM outlier!

I have stopped being equivocal about the ECM op run post-D8 as they still are trotted out despite their lack of verification. Maybe the 0z will be the chart that proves the rule?

Edited by IDO
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Och well, small chances of a pattern-change sometime in the New Year, perhaps...But only eighteen hours remain, for the much-advertised 'front-loaded winter' scenario to materialise...? And, by golly, it'll need to be a severe 18 hours!:oldgrin:

Just wait until Jan and Feb.....we’ll see if the much vaunted hoped for 2nd half pattern change happens   It’s now reminding me of winter 08/09

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

This was never going to be front loaded with a neutral ENSO on the nino side and the -QBO not fully downwelling until the second half - always back loaded to me - See GP's and others forecasts.

• Like 3

Posted

Have no doubt Christmas day is still up in the air on whether it'll be cold or not. A big swing this morning  (the first day really that the charts move into the semi reliable ie 10 days ). After days of showing us a mild Christmas both gfs and ecm show something colder!! Hopefully this new trend will build over the next 48hours

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Yet on 31st we see this advancing SW....3 days later...not much time

BFTP

2142BFA3-EF7F-4922-A0A5-4E3FD9E694EC.png

...there will of course be the ebb and flow, but in a winter where you have 5-7 day repeating periods of euro warmth and a Russian high, we are narrowing the net opportunity of UK cold.

Of course, we still have Jan-Mar and plenty of time for wintry weather, assuming the current pattern is not entrenched.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just wait until Jan and Feb.....we’ll see if the much vaunted hoped for 2nd half pattern change happens

BFTP

It might not - but that is our best hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
48 minutes ago, IDO said:

The NASA model agrees

20191215_112707.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

This was never going to be front loaded with a neutral ENSO on the nino side and the -QBO not fully downwelling until the second half - always back loaded to me - See GP's and others forecasts.

You know that, and I know that...FWIW, I think the second half of Feb into March could be much better? But, it's still mostly guesswork...given the number of other variables that are 'out there'...:oldgrin:

There are good reasons for why I'm not a millionaire!:oldlaugh:

• Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Christmas thaw in the Alps?

Looks ok to me.  Huge falls in last 7 days and this is the forecast for the run up to Christmas; 

FCC16789-3490-4833-B8B1-213DC341E785.png

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You know that, and I know that...FWIW, I think the second half of Feb into March could be much better? But, it's still mostly guesswork...given the number of other variables that are 'out there'...:oldgrin:

There are good reasons for why I'm not a millionaire!:oldlaugh:

Yes - like i say -an SSW seems likely at some point but could be too late to satisfy most on here and can see that always irritates a lot of people who prefer heat once winter ends, particularly people in the SE (wrongly IMO as 2018 proved).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Winter just wouldn't be Winter without at least some cold air from the north so I dearly hope the Ecm 0z operational has this nailed...in which case I would definitely buy this for a dollar!!!! $

216_thickuk.thumb.png.3b03dabd205e68639a1fd9f6b0f73ec6.png240_thickuk.thumb.png.403f6ae62457ee445d43f56d8714d95c.png240_thick.thumb.png.4dcc9accf34806d00b721f438eef76fb.png240_mslp850.thumb.png.31cac181fa533fabc5f5d3d14e59e736.png240_mslp850uk.thumb.png.a2a1aa5b9cbf2f6589e702d16c65536e.pngill-buy-that-for-a-dollar.thumb.jpg.aa399913eb073a5fcc9771ce0fb982bc.jpg

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 9

Posted
53 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Looks ok to me.  Huge falls in last 7 days and this is the forecast for the run up to Christmas; 

FCC16789-3490-4833-B8B1-213DC341E785.png

The French Meteo model shows rain@ 1100m suggest this is for a higher altitude

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It might not - but that is our best hope.

It might be Feb, a cold Xmas week and NYE would be nice....pM air often doesn’t bring the goods...and unfortunately it hasn’t this time thus far and this could be the best we get ...some mention GP but I’m sure he’s angling for at least a very mild Jan?  Not gospel but I’m sure I read that he is.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST