Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
20 minutes ago, fromey said:

This not what you want to see!!

It’s only a forecast but if this came anywhere near, I don’t like our chances of any cold weather 

4404D426-A865-4A1E-9C84-F510649A0C6E.jpeg

And just that...

look at where we are now(end of the blue line)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
32 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

And just that...

look at where we are now(end of the blue line)

I hope it keeps going down!!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM operational 192 looks great if its a train of wintry showers you like

A cheshire gap special!

84570BD0-7EB0-484E-8516-B34076189118.thumb.png.2b1594a7bb37cca016df343e987d62ec.png

I still think it's not a normal winter coming up as in big surprises to come.

No scientific proof but a gut feeling with some decent signals

We've got to have a good one soon imo.

I'd defo take that for though.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I’m actually liking the look of the latest charts, as SM says above it’s a Cheshire gap special in the making and that can give some jolly good dumpings to places in the firing line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

I’m actually liking the look of the latest charts, as SM says above it’s a Cheshire gap special in the making and that can give some jolly good dumpings to places in the firing line.

Aye still FI but that chart would bring the showers through Stockport into Derbyshire, so dumpings for high levels, we need winds NW'ly

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well, it looks like a rampant zonal jet is in the driving seat for the foreseeable future until something weakens the strengthening and expanding low heights / trop PV to our N and NW - but model ensemble teleconnections forecasts point to a +NAO for the 1st half of Dec for now. So often windy, sometimes wet, alternating Tm and Pm airmasses.

GFS and EC hinting from late next week and through weekend some cold zonality, though often the coldness of the uppers in a W or NW flows tend to be toned down as we drawer nearer the potential. We've already seen a cold arctic northerly downgrade then vanish for Election Day.

The one thing that may help in lessening the moderation of the cold zonal Pm flows sources from deep cold air over Northern Canada is Atlantic SSTs that are below average to the west of British Isles according to SST anomalies below:

ostia-all-natl_wide-sst_anom-5417600.thumb.png.297f7af19f6917056c37945a0f04d62a.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Only two years ago though PM Westerlies brought decent snow even to low levels such as around Glasgow and to many Northern and Western areas at times through December, January and early Feb before being eclipsed a bit by the BFTE in late Feb. So charts like this may bring something to at least some areas even next week.

image.thumb.png.812b81863214c7d4b7504eb76119d4c2.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
46 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

And there is the MJO phase 2 pattern ECH101-144.thumb.gif.bdadf9ee6b835bc9e88e81e64d9ddc88.gif 1234964277_DecemberPhase2all500mb(1).thumb.gif.be2fbe59bb1d6ee312962b523ef1d078.gif image.thumb.png.c7743e9ef1eaa6100453b35944375da4.png 

not the worst mjo pattern.

id thought northerlies and stalling fronts.

like nick said sst are low to the west to that's without the pool of really cold air developing around greenland.

and heights down through russia.

i wouldn't rule out something wintry anywhere in the uk.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
18 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Only two years ago though PM Westerlies brought decent snow even to low levels such as around Glasgow and to many Northern and Western areas at times through December, January and early Feb before being eclipsed a bit by the BFTE in late Feb. So charts like this may bring something to at least some areas even next week.

image.thumb.png.812b81863214c7d4b7504eb76119d4c2.png

Yes @Norrance December 2017 around the 14th (can’t be sure of the exact date) we got a good covering of snow down here (Hertfordshire) and I’m pretty sure that was from N Westerlys or a temporary Northerly. So they can deliver in this set up if it sets up just right . Then there was a repeat on Boxing Day . 

Back to here and now and the ECM not looking to bad , seasonal at least after the milder blip . 

98519499-6983-4FED-BC50-C583B622B408.jpeg

E27E4320-9919-497B-BE0B-102671CE4106.png

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all

A bit early for me to get interested in the winter modelling but it looks an increasingly disturbed outlook through mid month with the jet close to or just to the south of the British isles and a strong flow out of North America. The main LP centres won't be the problem but embedded secondary features which would enhance rain/showers/wind as they zip from west to east across southern areas.

In terms of accumulations, the usual suspects to the north and north west catching the bulk of the rain as you'd expect with the south and east not faring too badly.

The question then becomes how we break out of the pattern - not immediately would be my thought. The signal for height rises to the east remains in a number of the GEFS members and the scenario of a "battleground" isn't wholly far-fetched but whether it would be SE'ly winds and slider LPs or a more conventional S'ly flow with deep LP moving NNE to the west of Ireland remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Posted

@Mattwolves

Do you know what i like about those ecm ens is that there is little scatter towards day ten bordering -5,it would be nice to squeeze a bit more below this as we count down the days

graphe_ens3.thumb.png.c679c5e8a40f0381cdc12148a4594190.pngEDH0-240.thumb.gif.76522b33083d5d26f361c59b79717e4a.gif

the latest from cpc 6-10 and 8-14 day anomaly outlook shows a pretty strong W>NW'ly jet exiting the NE seaboard of Canada later relenting a tad and at the same time heights building into Siberia/Russia joining forces with the Arctic high 

610day_03.thumb.gif.fa2ef99b1489dad96d9984d9421c58aa.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.9e992169f2aaccfd6a9a1e36b1b5980a.gif

latest NAO/AO

do we see these start to tank into neg values again?,maybe if the pv relents a bit later in the outlook but i wouldn't like to put a spin on this at the moment

nao.sprd2.thumb.gif.2ef6e450a877066e177c3eb1a043facd.gifao.sprd2.thumb.gif.d05bbeb200e296b96601ca134f47213b.gif

so in the near term a cool to cold outlook for the next week or so with mostly west to northwesterly winds with some mild-er blips,some snow about esp northern area's north midlands northwards with snow accumulating quiet a bit over the mountains ,sleety mixes further south but i wouldn't rule out some wintryness further south or some surprises(you never know),with perhaps some hail and thunder in the showers once any fronts have cleared east/SE,oh! and lastly the winds will be particularly strong at times so you might need to batten down some loose potentially flying debris,it certainly won't be boring that's for sure.

WWW.MOUNTAIN-FORECAST.COM

Animated mountain weather map of United Kingdom showing weather in its development, up to 7 days in future. Mountain weather for climbers planning expeditions.

final_synop_2_2019120606_222.thumb.jpg.c79967c28c14d29c348fc2e6e2614aca.jpg

WWW.MYWEATHER2.COM

Information about Weather2, a company providing comprehensive forecasting and related weather services, historical climate data and monthly averages, real time information and more for individuals and...

• Like 3

Posted

Summing up the models, for the foreseeable a very unsettled picture with a strong jetstream firing in wind and rain systems, with only very brief respites, long term again suggestion of something a bit colder as we see more in the way of polar maritime air, but still just out of the reliable to say with certainty that we will inject some colder air to the north at least mid-month, the ECM is showing some quite cold upper air which would bring the risk of snow to quite low levels in the north.. but we were here 3 - 4 days ago, looking at similiar timeframes.. 

All very normal for this time of year.

• Like 1

A long way out but UKMO has that slider scenario at 168 - Sliding into cold air in situ over Scotland ( polar air will have filtered in by then )

Something to consider -

61954341-C31E-4A23-886A-6B2C08B76420.thumb.jpeg.9eed82f2d22d18dae39db62fcccf81ba.jpeg

* Edited *

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

A long way out but UKMO has that slider scenario at 168 - Sliding into cold air in situ over Scotland ( polar air will have cilter in by then )

Something to consider -

61954341-C31E-4A23-886A-6B2C08B76420.thumb.jpeg.9eed82f2d22d18dae39db62fcccf81ba.jpeg

Steve you are a tease. X

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

A long way out but UKMO has that slider scenario at 168 - Sliding into cold air in situ over Scotland ( polar air will have cilter in by then )

Something to consider -

what is cilter?

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

what is cilter?

I think he mean't filtered.

• Like 1