Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I am staggered that so many people are surprised by today’s output. Why do people, some of who have been on here for years, expect cold charts in FI to come to fruition? We have had cross model support at T96 in the past, and it’s still gone wrong. It was literally a 1% chance that last night’s runs would actually happen.

Yes it's the same every year. Very occasionally we get cold that appears in FI and gets more or less counted down but that is maybe one time in twenty or less. The fact is the models are simply not accurate at a range of anything above 96hrs and even then as you say they can be wrong.

The best advice is when the models show different scenarios is always believe the one that is the worst for cold. It's fun chasing the cold as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations. Most of the time our Winters are pretty mild, that's just how it is, like it or not.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

From yesterday to this, the only positive I can think of is that if the charts were so wrong yesterday, why are they correct today.  Sadly they are correct more often or not when it doesn’t scream “big freeze”

92C8D69A-3D82-45BE-8FD7-717B8DB2AE82.jpeg

The modelling to the north and NW is so fundamentally different from yesterday to today you have to wonder what particular difference has been picked up in the Greenland area that wasn't yesterday or the day before. After some years of good forecasting progress, the models seem to have plateaued in performance. Science will have to keep on working to get them to the next level when predicting a week or more out

• Like 4

Posted

A strong jetstream for the weekend and in particular next week according to the Gfs.. 

1002021202_EUROPE_JETSTREAM_252(1).thumb.jpg.92e0a3fec2c07194265c261916935858.jpg

1139599146_EUROPE_JETSTREAM_156(3).thumb.jpg.e8bec7fa9e785000bae6eecbe6aa5b3c.jpg

1145588556_EUROPE_JETSTREAM_108(1).thumb.jpg.668f2fb4db2b4c1edb02c56a79a06bc0.jpg

This area of the jet stream for tuesday allowing rapid development of a low pressure system as it moves across the UK.

1065713543_EUROPE_PRMSL_RAIN_144(1).thumb.jpg.4ffa719e9f486f7698cf77c802aeb618.jpg

Rainfall..

kdUSJvhsVe.thumb.gif.1fa55ca5d5889cf2f5b2caff3b179100.gif

Wind gust speeds.

red (40+mph)

pinkish (60mph)

white/grey (70+mph) 

J2hBXExCrl.thumb.gif.a0d5fc28846ca9344964b3e512ebdb20.gif

no certainty on this ofcourse at this range but a strong jetstream with the risk of stormy conditions have been hinted for several days now by the GFS. As shown by others a fair few models going with a similar scenario. 

The rainfall accumulation for the next ten days show Western Scotland having a lot for this period, making up for the very dry autumn if this is correct. 

xkitPCZAQO.thumb.gif.29c0e2dc3451f157c4fc30b8e43244a6.gif

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 9

Posted

The mean is not as bad as the Op on the ECM at 240, Germany is a good place to look ref the difference. Jet stream still into Southern France too.

The PV however, that looks pretty meaty in the wrong area for coldies!! 

EE1BCF8E-C678-4CA6-8F29-1CA78B6801E7.png

335EED13-F20D-4DB1-817A-5D5C0FF7067B.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Right!!!

think of this as a roller coaster yes,the models have there upgrades and downgrades it happens all the time,at the moment the roller coaster car/s are at the bottom of a dip on that roller coaster,these cars will steadily ascend up the roller coaster through tonight and then we get that thrill and buzz again tomorrow

as i said yesterday and prob the day before and i will repeat it again that the Azures hp cell is still forecast to be displaced to our west allowing further troughs to get into the mid lats 

the theme is still the same and the models will not resolve this yet at several days out so chill and lets see what happens

lastly the ecm ens still look cold to me and have not changed that much since yesterday

graphe_ens3.thumb.png.24fe476abf2f925e82f4f07a41405de1.png

so sit tight peeps it only 4th Dec not 4th March

laters.

That's this morning's ens is it not?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, booferking said:

That's this morning's ens is it not?

Oops!!! yes,sorry

the latest

53881594_graphe_ens3(1).thumb.png.7b39cb3eb53028eca6e08c9f8d226625.png

^i still stand on what i said above though.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The mean is not as bad as the Op on the ECM at 240, Germany is a good place to look ref the difference. Jet stream still into Southern France too.

The PV however, that looks pretty meaty in the wrong area for coldies!! 

EE1BCF8E-C678-4CA6-8F29-1CA78B6801E7.png

335EED13-F20D-4DB1-817A-5D5C0FF7067B.png

Looks like the OP represents the biggest clusters quite well to be fair especially at such long range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
16 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I can't understand the notion of if it's in FI it won't come off!! All cold spells whether past or present have to start in fi, they can't just turn up overnight! Today may have been a bad day at the office, but it's not a year in the sin bin! Expext upgrades and downgrades galore over the next few days. The ECM mean maybe less positive than earlier, but there remains quite alot of spread!! Colder options very much still on the table. 

graphe_ens3.png

You just blown my mind there lol.is that a paradox regarding fi? If there is fi then it must be zero hrs .where does it start???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
14 minutes ago, Paul said:

The notion is pretty simple. Any outcome shown in FI is less likely to come off. That's why those who hang their hats on what it's showing end up being disappointed more often than not.

Where is fi Paul? Not a trick question but any spell of weather has to develop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hardly surprising UK met model didn’t buy into the cold spell next week writing has been on the wall Exeter also backed away from the long range for end of December from cold and dry too windy and wet with optic in temperatures. this was the reason I wasn’t getting excited by the GFS and to an extent ECM output over the last few days until you KMO is on board with any cold snaps or spell I don’t get excited. .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!
6 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

hardly surprising UK met model didn’t buy into the cold spell next week writing has been on the wall Exeter also backed away from the long range for end of December from cold and dry too windy and wet with optic in temperatures. this was the reason I wasn’t getting excited by the GFS and to an extent ECM output over the last few days until you KMO is on board with any cold snaps or spell I don’t get excited. .

What?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

What?

Basically if the UKMO isn’t onboard then don’t get too excited. Many of us did, many of us dared to dream but alas many of us are disappointed. As much as I’d have been interested to see how the news would report the ‘snowcane’ and indeed how the pattern would evolve subsequently without the UKMO buying into the notion of the cold spell being suggested by the other models it was always a risk to  get too excited. Lesson learnt (again) (until next time). This model watching is worse than crack. 

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

The UKMO is not in range of the cold synoptic and besides,it's not happened yet.

• Like 5

Posted

I haven't seen such unity between the ensemble members so far for a long time, look at how little scatter there is in the wind direction (windrichting), usually it's all over the place by day 7-8

Screenshot_20191204-215207_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks for that update Catacol all be it a sober on the fence one.

• Like 1

Posted

Icon 120 sure doesn't blow up that low in the Atlantic,what ramifications would this have later on?

iconnh-0-120.thumb.png.33dc6d73a8158a155d49989f3a72e019.png

• Like 2

Posted

Ok, I think we all need a silver lining tonight and this is the best I could come up with. First chart is ecm debilt ens from this morning days 12 to 15. Second chart is the updated ecm debilt from tonight's 12z run for the same days. You can clearly see colder clustering on tonight's run. Chins up! 

Screenshot_20191204-211633.png

Screenshot_20191204-211657.png

• Like 4