Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived and the hunt for cold is on

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

So here are the GEFS 06Z ensembles...But, before making any sweeping statements, a question: is the 'GFS Operational' the FV3 or the GFS Legacy...?:help:

t850Leicestershire.png   prmslLeicestershire.png

t2mLeicestershire.png    prcpLeicestershire.png

Because, whichever it is, NW-SE tracking jetstreams have been known to 'do the unexpected'...:yahoo:

Rrea00119681224.gif

Still a fair few cold shots from most ensemble members there. Control is nice in far far away land

image.thumb.png.0066aee38ce97c85d26d122f0c277667.png

And a few others toy with the idea of height rises directly to our NE too

True, there are half a dozen SW'ly shockers aswell!

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.dd74d98187a29826214e7f40dfca30c1.png

EC 00z ens highlight the cold option later next week.

@northwestsnow, do you have link to the source of that image? thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
Just now, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.dd74d98187a29826214e7f40dfca30c1.png

EC 00z ens highlight the cold option later next week.

Absolutely -

Still think that Thurs-Sat next week is very much plausible for a good decent Northerly 

The downgrades we've seen overnight never actually got rid of the possible cold from around Thurs-Sat. They lowered chances of cold prior to Thurs and probably lowered the potency slightly of days 7-10 but in my opinion still all to play for.

I can see agreement in this mornings output that it will be a bit of a short lived affair but at D7-10 I don't see much at the moment that it isn't going to be exciting

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, jules216 said:

@northwestsnow, do you have link to the source of that image? thanks

There you go mate.

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

Ensemble forecasts identify the expected spread of weather conditions and assess the probability of particular events

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Absolutely -

Still think that Thurs-Sat next week is very much plausible for a good decent Northerly 

The downgrades we've seen overnight never actually got rid of the possible cold from around Thurs-Sat. They lowered chances of cold prior to Thurs and probably lowered the potency slightly of days 7-10 but in my opinion still all to play for.

I can see agreement in this mornings output that it will be a bit of a short lived affair but at D7-10 I don't see much at the moment that it isn't going to be exciting

I agree with all you wrote..

Some kind of northerly airmass still looks likely around 12-14th Dec -those on the north side of the jet will probably see temps plummeting at night given we are fast approaching the shortest day of the year and the source of the air.

If this makes it then the 1st half of Dec will likely be below average temp wise-esp up North.

On the other side of the coin its beginning to look a bit grim longer term IMO- the Atlantic looks very very lively and there are growing signs we may see  strong PV setting up to the north west.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Quite happy with this set. 

The attempted warm up on the 10th is having the life squeezed out of it. 

So a colder period from 7th through to 16th with snow row showing nicely end of next week. 

Screenshot_20191204_142026.thumb.jpg.0d3d1da64ab99dc33e657c0ce6f7067c.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The theme of the late autumn and winter so far .

Upstream amplification has a problem surviving in the outputs . I’d view any further attempts with a pinch of salt until you get cross model agreement at day 6 .

Getting cross model agreement at day 6 is as rare as rocking horse ****, never mind with ampliation involved. 
Personally I think things will improve on the 12zs for coldies, and they are already pretty good to be fair. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted

ECM shows very unsettled conditions next week with temperatures remaining pretty cold with snow for hills for the north perhaps to lower levels at times too wintriness to any precipitation not to be ruled out further south next week but the Atlantic depressions become more vigorous with frontal systems carrying some very heavy rain in places along with very strong winds for all pushing through..

Sunday..

244361498_EUROPE_PRMSL_HGT500_96(1).thumb.jpg.329ad7339ea083473effb4ee05f6a3c9.jpg

11th..

EUROPE_PRMSL_HGT500_168.thumb.jpg.38d7c3ab7ecc40d565577a5f615e4307.jpg

13th..

453919982_EUROPE_PRMSL_HGT500_216(1).thumb.jpg.084e3c68967bfd6d9937726bd2a6e09d.jpg

With the jet remaining just over or to the south throughout the run then digging a long way south by day 9 uppers colder too. Details don't matter too much the overall pattern from the ECM is unsettled perhaps stormy with a wintry theme to add to the mix especially for the north.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
25 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Well when I got up this morning I looked at the UKMO....and to me is stepping towards cold and is improving chances.  GFS was always going to initially pull away from perfection charts, but I still see very nice cold and snow potential.  ECM Plunges cold south......the southern snowcane disappeared....but there’s very much interest still here.  Yep a slowing of the cold arrival.....and those concerned re Atlantic coming in......it always was, there is no major Scandi block to come this month, but if the cold air can dig enough we get little wedges and trough disruption......that isn’t off the table....we are still seeing PV displacement to our NE......game very much still on 

BFTP

Unless Im reading the UKMO fax charts wrong the 0z was much better than yesterdays 12Z looking at the 500mb & MSLP

WWW.WEATHERCHARTS.ORG

UK Met Office . . Europe and North Atlantic MSLP analysis and prognosis charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

As I said this morning UKMO compared to its previous runs was actually a small improvement.

However the other models have moved significantly if not completely away from the sort of trough disruption we we were seeing well away from the UK with the best of those runs keeping the cold in place with snow for England while others had larger mild sectors but did not mix the cold out to our NE

ECM and GFS examples below 

Yesterday

Small ridge was much further West due to disrupting low and has already been undercut, hence heights moving NW.

ECH1-168.GIF?00gfsnh-0-174.png

Today

Small ridge just being shunted East no disruption/undercut

ECH1-144.GIF?04-12gfsnh-0-144.png

Here are the jet profile for yesterday at point of undercut (disrupting low) and today(bowling ball low)

gfsnh-5-162.pnggfsnh-5-138.png

And result

gfsnh-5-192.pnggfsnh-5-168.png

The disruption holds low pressure out West and disrupts their energy SE which allows for the amplification behind. Without the disruption the bowling ball lows barrel through and this has knock on upstream because the next low on a Southerly jet has nothing to "squeeze" against to create the necessary WAA and amplification. We can still get some but nothing like if we get the disruption and stalling lows.

To get  a wedge of heights or WAA you need a way of slowing the Atlantic down and without high pressure to run against the only way is disrupting troughs SE.

Get the disruption back and you will see a much more favourable FI although UKMO also led the way with how the PV would behave upstream spawning a deep low instead of a cul of over 1000mb a with previous ECM and GFS output which means upstream has more forcing, so a double whammy for any ridge trying to build around the 12/13th

Both these aspects were modelled by UKMO but not any other output, that is quite a beat down for mid range modelling and so you would think now we are closer and all the other output has moved to UKMO we are looking as a far more typical zonal spell, with snow chances for the N and hills, rather than a locked in cold with daytime maxima stuggling above freezing.

That is the way of it with the UK, fine margins can make huge differences.

Of course it is not over, things may change again this afternoon but I think if we see any sustained cold then it will be back to deeper FI - unless we see a big U-turn on that trough disruption!

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

Poor from the Icon, but I would guess day 8-10 might be good would depend on that energy to the west whether it wants to flatten the pattern or not.

AA8709AA-E440-4A39-9C45-6AC581A2ED2F.png