Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Demise of the Greenland High in Winter

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Back in around 2007 or 2008, I started a Thread which I entitled, "The demise of the Greenland High in Winter".

It was a very crude "Painting by Numbers" look at the correlation between "true heights" (Yellow/Greens), over the Greenland Plateau at the 500hPa level (about 5,500 Metres (18,000 Feet) A.S.L.), around halfway up in the Atmosphere, and the likelihood of Cold, Wintry Weather reaching the U.K.

If memory serves, I looked at the 500 hPa archive Charts on Wetterzentrale, as far back as around 1950. I counted every Day during the 3 Months of Winter (Dec,Jan,Feb) and logged each Day when the Majority of Greenland was covered in Yellow/Green 500hPa heights. I called these Days, "Greenland Green Days" and logged each one.

I then looked at the C.E.T. (Central England Temperature)Record, for every Year as far back as 1950. 

It was a very exhaustive piece of "Research" and took quite a long time, to complete. I had lots of A4 sheets of paper, strewn across my Lounge floor, during this research.

There were some very interesting results. On the whole, there did seem to be a correlation between "true heights" over Greenland and the likelihood of Cold/Wintry Weather, reaching the U.K. It threw up a very interesting Winter though and my first introduction to the dreaded West based Negative NAO.  I couldn't quite remember the exact Winter that this occured. But my suspicions were that it was a late 1960's Winter, either 1967/68 or 1968/69. I'd like to give credit here to Kirkcaldy Weather, who suggested it was 1968/69. A telephone conversation I had today with S.E.Meteorologist Ian Currie, confirms that to be the case.

Although Jan.1969 recorded "robust" (yellow/greens) heights over Greenland at times (esp.early Jan.), the area of High Pressure   had no strong Ridging due South ,allowing the Atlantic in through the back door (so to speak) . The 1969 Jan. CET returned a value of +5.5c  (In the Very Mild Category).

Heights remained very strong during the following Month but because the Greenland High "threw"a Ridge due South, into the Atlantic, mobile mild and unsettled Weather was "blocked" off. The 1969 Feb. CET of +1.0c (Firmly in the Cold Category).

Below, are a couple of Synoptic Charts, to illustrate the above point:

8th JAN 1969 

image.thumb.png.2997d02adc0a683d734fb07358ecb5f3.png

Decent heights over Greenland but no strong Ridging due South, to "block off" the Atlantic. This resulted in a mainly Mild and unsettled January, 1969.

7th FEB.1969

image.thumb.png.3aec4577790c1e462de1f10525099d80.png

A Month later and still reasonable heights around Greenland but because the High has a strong Ridge aligned to the S.E, the Atlantic is "blocked off", allowing cold to flood down, from the Arctic.

Jan./Feb. 1969, were exact Polar opposites (literally).

Feb.1969 was punctuated with frequent winds from between North and East. The above chart for 7th Feb.1969 was a very notable Day, for depth of Cold and Snow. On that Day, the Max. Temp. at Eskdalemuir, in S.Scotland was a bone chilling, -7c. On the same Day, a "Polar Low" was involved in introducing some bitterly Cold Arctic air, flooding South. It was the catalyst for "Blizzard" conditions in the East Midlands and Kent, depositing around a Foot of Snow, in both areas. Kent had 20 foot drifts, in places.

I will revisit my "Research" on Greenland Highs, in the manner mentioned at the start of this Post. I will "publish" my results, when I finish this "Research". 

But as Captain Laurence "Titus" Oates once famously said, on leaving the safety of his Tent during an Antarctic Expedition in March 1912, "I maybe some time"!!

Having read our own Ian Simpson's LRF for the Winter and those of some Seasonal Models plus having spoken to S.E. Meteorologist Ian Currie earlier today, the Greenland High could yet again, prove to be an elusive "beast" this Winter.

FWIW, Ian Currie has very similar thoughts to Ian Simpson for December and January. That being mainly mild and unsettled, with the Atlantic dominant but a transitory Northerly in mid-December, with the likelihood of some Snow around.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:   

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8

Posted

I have decided to start my "Research" a further Decade back and will look at the following Years:

Decade 1 (1940 to 1949), Decade 2 (1950 to 1959), Decade 3 (1960 to 1969), Decade 4 (1970 to 1979),

Decade 5 (1980 to 1989), Decade 6 (1990 to 1999), Decade 7 (2000 to 2009), Decade 8 (2010 to 2019?). 

I was going to use the Archive Charts on Meteociel but the Charts don't cover Greenland as well as the ERA (whatever that stands for) Charts on Wetterzentrale.

It will be very crude "Painting by Numbers" look at the correlation between "true heights" (Yellow/Greens), over the Greenland Plateau at the 500hPa level (about 5,500 Metres (18,000 Feet) A.S.L.), around halfway up in the Atmosphere, and the likelihood of Cold, Wintry Weather reaching the U.K.

I will count every Day during the 3 Months of Winter (Dec,Jan,Feb) and log each Day when the Majority of Greenland was covered in Yellow/Green 500hPa heights. I will call these Days, "Greenland Green Days" and will log each one.

I will then look at the C.E.T. (Central England Temperature)Record, for every Year as far back as 1940. 

That's around 80 Years of data and should "throw up", some interesting results.

I will publish my results, when I finish this "Research". 

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting post Tom! 7th Feb 1969 doesn't often come up as one of the great snowfall stories of recent times (well post WWII anyway), so good to hear about that one.

• Like 1

Posted

Just like to say a big thank you to KIRKCALDY WEATHER.

Callum has sent me the following links, via PM: 

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/gcos_wgsp/Timeseries/GBI_UL/

I didn't realise this body of work existed!!

I will still conduct my own Research though, targeting the Winter Months specifically.

Callum, also sent me a link to the CET Record:

uk_and_regional_series.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Download time-series of monthly, seasonal and annual values. Files can be downloaded in rank or year order.

I will be using the CET Record to establish a possible link between Greenland Highs in Winter and a below average CET for the U.K., in Dec, Jan and Feb.

Many thanks again, to Callum.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 2

Posted

@TomSE12 I too browsed the reanalysis noticed that since the last 150 years the main vortex moved from Siberia to Greenland from the 1950s or so onwards , interestingly the magnetic pole of the earth has been moving in the opposite direction 

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 2

Posted

Have had a very quick look at the first "Research" Winter (1940/41), of my Greenland High Research.

Firstly, here are links to the "tools" I'll be using:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Reanalysis archives of the past decades covering Europe.

I'll be using the daily archived ERA Charts, at 12 U.T.C., as it's bang in the middle of the Day and should be pretty representative of the Barometric Pressure over Greenland, on that Day. Any Member know what ERA, stands for??

Below, are a couple of links Callum (Kirkcaldy Weather), kindly sent me.

The first, a NOAA Website which records Barometric Pressure over Greenland and registers it as the G.B.I. (Greenland Blocking Index). I'm guessing the higher the Monthly figure, the more "blocking", over Greenland.

Jan.1963 +1.42, Dec.1981 +1.36, Dec.2010 +3.15, as we know, all 3 Months featured a lot of "Blocking" over Greenland. See link below:   

The second link, is to the Central England Temperature, series:

uk_and_regional_series.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Download time-series of monthly, seasonal and annual values. Files can be downloaded in rank or year order.

I will look at the 500 hPa archive Charts on Wetterzentrale and this Morning,  started with Dec.1940. I was going to use the Archive Charts on Meteociel but the Charts on Wetterzentrale, cover the Greenland Plateau more extensively, and therefore easier on your eyesight!!

I counted every Day during the 3 Months of Winter (Dec,Jan,Feb) and logged each Day when the Majority of Greenland (50+%) was covered in Yellow/Green 500hPa heights.

I will call these Days, " Greenland High Days" (G.H.D's) and log each one.

Because the elevation of the Greenland Plateau is very high, "true" high pressure on those 500 hPa Charts will only show, when yellows/greens are recorded.

I will be looking at nigh on 8 Decades worth of Data but I do realise that in terms of Climatology, that's a miniscule Data Set.

But I thought it would be interesting to look at those recent Decades, in respect of High Latitude Blocking (H.L.B.). 

It will also help keep my Brain sharp, as I am still recovering from an Haemorrhagic Stroke, back in Sept.2015.After this type of Stroke, Vascular Dementia can result. But "touch wood", there's no sign of it yet!!

I will now Post up the Results from the Winter of 1940/41, the first "Research" Winter from Decade 1 (1940 to 1949).

December 1940 - 10 G.H.D's. C.E.T - +3.8c. G.B.I - +0.17. January 1941 - 7 G.H.D's. CET - +3.1c. G.B.I. - +1.42.

February 1941 - 10 G.H.D's. C.E.T. +4.4. G.B.I. - +1.18.

G.H.D's = Greenland High Days.

C.E.T. = Central England Temperature.

G.B.I. = Greenland Blocking Index.

Only another 78 Winters, to research. Wish me luck!! :oldgood:   

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted

Just had a look at the G.B.I (Greenland Blocking Index) for Jan.1969.

Not surprisingly, it scored very high, with a figure of +2.02. There was a lot of "blocking" over Greenland that Month.

But as I described in a Post on Monday, this Greenland High "threw" a Ridge out West, towards Canada,

This allowed the "dreaded", West based Negative NAO to develop and allow mild Atlantic Weather to infiltrate the U.K., through the "back door".  

The following Month (Feb.1969), Pressure was still high over Greenland but this time its Ridge was aligned to the S/S.E., allowing very cold Arctic air to flood down, across the U.K. The G.B.I, still recorded a pretty high, +1.69, along with a cold C.E.T. of +2.4c (NOT 1.0c, as I stated in Monday's Post).

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

I have finished researching DECADE 1 (1940 - 1950), into the correlation (if any) between, High Pressure over Greenland in the 3 Winter Months  and Cold, Wintry Weather, affecting the U.K., in those Months. 

It's  a very crude "Painting by Numbers" look at the correlation between "true heights" (Yellow/Green), over the Greenland Plateau at the 500hPa level (about 5,500 Metres (18,000 Feet) A.S.L.), around halfway up in the Atmosphere, and the likelihood of Cold, Wintry Weather reaching the U.K.

I will count every Day during the 3 Months of Winter (Dec,Jan,Feb) and log each Day when the Majority of Greenland was covered in Yellow/Green 500hPa heights. I will call these Days, "Greenland High Days" and will log each one.

RESEARCH INTO HIGH PRESSURE OVER GREENLAND HIGH IN WINTER 

DECADE 1 (1940 - 1950)                         

(DECEMBER)

G.H.D.     G.B.I.   U.K. MEAN TEMP.  

1940     10        +0.17             +3.4c  

1941       2        (0.18)             +4.9c

1942       3        (0.06)             +5.8c

1943       3        (0.57)             +3.4c

1944       1        +0.01             +3.3c

1945     14        +0.99             +4.6c

1946       8         (0.21)            +2.6c

1947       9         +1.41            +4.4c

1948       1         (0.35)            +4.9c

1949       1         (0.13)            +4.7c

G.H.D. = Greenland High Day.

G.B.I.  = Greenland Blocking Index.

Figures in Brackets. = Minus Figures.

Below, is a link to NOAA's Greenland Blocking Index, site: 

I will Post up the Results for the January and Februarys in Decade 1 (1940-1950), and add some comments on my findings, later on today.

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

RESEARCH INTO THE DEMISE OF THE GREENLAND HIGH IN WINTER 

I will now Post up my findings from my research into the Januaries and Februaries of Decade 1 (1940 - 1950).

DECADE 1 (1940 - 1950)

(JANUARY)  

G.H.D.     G.B.I.    U.K. MEAN TEMP.

1941               +1.42               (0.1c)       

1942       9         (0.56)               +1.0c                                       

1943       1         +0.72               +3.9c                                          

1944       0         (0.62)               +5.1c     

1945     15        +1.89                (0.2c)               

1946       0        (0.45)                +2.6c    

1947             (0.37)                +1.8c     

1948       1        (0.34)                +3.8c     

1949       0        (0.94)                +4.6c      

1950       5        (0.61)                +3.9c      

(FEBRUARY)  

G.H.D.     G.B.I.      U.K.MEAN TEMP.  

1941      10        +1.18               +2.9c   

1942      10        +1.94               (0.2c)                                      

1943              (1.38)               +5.2c                                          

1944        7        +0.02               +3.0c                   

1945        1        (0.47)               +5.9c   

1946        9        +0.50               +4.9c    

1947      23        +2.95               (2.0c)      

1948        3        (0.67)               +3.9c     

1949        0        (1.36)               +4.8c     

1950        1        (0.27)               +4.0c  

In a short while I will Post up some comments about my findings and some "thumbnails" of Synoptic Charts, during those Maximum and Minimum, G.H.M.'s (Greenland High Month's).

Regards,

Tom. :hi:     

• Like 1

Posted

I will now Post up some Tables and thumbnail Synoptic Charts, from Decade 1 (1940-1950).

I've "ditched" the idea of using the CET's (Central England Temperature Means). I wanted to include our N.Irish, Scottish and Welsh friends. Apologies to our friends in Eire, I couldn't find a record of Mean temperatures that include, Southern Ireland. 

Below, is the Table of the Top 3 "scoring", G.H.M's (Greenland High Months) and their respective U.K. Mean Temps, in Decade 1 (1940-1950).

Top 3 G.H.M's    U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  FEB.1947          23                       -2.0c

2nd. JAN 1945          15                       -0.2c

3rd. DEC.1945          14                       +4.6c

I will now Post up a "thumbnail" Synoptic Chart to best illustrate, the 3 Months above.

FEB1947

image.thumb.png.47dd9fb13cea71efcea41bfd40464ba8.png The "Daddy" of all Februaries, re Cold and Snow. 

JAN1945

image.thumb.png.1cd32f6b3f42709094f70bba3bd5fe56.png A very cold Month.The G'land High working in tandem with the "Scandy" High.

DEC 1945  

image.thumb.png.7ca1987d068c98c4a34c273280bac927.png

Above - A pretty blocked Month, over Greenland but too far North too prevent Atlantic driven depressions, from sweeping mild air, over the U.K.  

Lowest 4 G.H.M's    U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  FEB.1943           0                        +5.2c

2nd. JAN.1944           0                        +5.1c

3rd.  FEB.1949           0                        +4.8c

4th. JAN. 1949           0                        +4.6c

I will now Post up a "thumbnail" Synoptic Chart to best illustrate, the 4 Months above.

FEB.1943

image.thumb.png.fb30ce7396ac1141000a76c413d49c52.png PV, "slap bang" over G'land, working with the Azores High, to keep UK. mild. 

JAN.1944

image.thumb.png.61072fa77eae9fc4ef28adaf593e1d25.png PV, "slap bang" over G'land, working with a Bartlett High, to keep UK., mild.

JAN.1949

image.thumb.png.8fb77c6ada46deef44d8251fd13db476.png PV, "slap bang" over G'land, working with European High, to keep UK., mild.

FEB.1949

image.thumb.png.66262db5e7f8500d99bfdcc1fe3d71cc.png PV, "slap bang" over G'land, working with a Bartlett High, to keep UK. mild.

Regards,

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

I have just finished researching DECADE 2 (1950 - 1960), into the correlation (if any) between, High Pressure over Greenland in the 3 Winter Months and Cold, Wintry Weather, affecting the U.K., in those Months. 

I will now Post up my findings, for the Decembers, Januaries and Februaries of Decade 2 (1950 - 1960).

Below, is a quote from an earlier Post, explaining the basis of my "research".

"It's  a very crude "Painting by Numbers" look at the correlation between "true heights" (Yellow/Green), over the Greenland Plateau at the 500hPa level (about 5,500 Metres (18,000 Feet) A.S.L.), around halfway up in the Atmosphere, and the likelihood of Cold, Wintry Weather reaching the U.K.

I will count every Day during the 3 Months of Winter (Dec,Jan,Feb) and log each Day when the Majority of Greenland was covered in Yellow/Green 500hPa heights.

I will call these Days, "Greenland High Days" (G.H.D's) and log each one".

Below, is a link to NOAA's Greenland Blocking Index (G.B.I), site: 

DECADE 2  (1950-1960)  

(DECEMBERS)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1950        13       +1.65       0.7c

1951                (1.38)       4.7c

1952        11       +1.75       2.5c

1953               (1.57)       6.1c

1954               (0.39)       5.6c

1955          0       +0.46       4.5c

1956               (0.97)       5.2c

1957               (0.37)       3.9c

1958          7       +0.63        3.8c

1959                (0.34)        4.8c

In a short while. I will Post up my findings for the Januaries and Februaries, of Decade 2 (1951-1960).

Regards,

• Like 1

Posted

I will now Post up my findings, for the Januaries and Februaries of  DECADE 2  (1950-1960)

(JANUARY)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1951               (0.54)       2.9c

1952               (0.34)       1.7c

1953          1       (0.01)       3.2c

1954          7       (0.04)       2.6c

1955               +1.02        1.8c

1956          3       +0.34        2.7c

1957          0       (1.60)        4.5c

1958        10       +0.62        2.8c

1959        18       +1.79        0.9c

1960        18       +1.39        3.1c

(FEBRUARY)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1951          3       (0.68)       2.6c

1952          6       +0.75        2.8c

1953          3       +0.19        3.8c

1954          2       (0.52)       1.8c

1955        10       +1.15        0.3c

1956        10       +0.70       (0.2c)

1957        11       +1.12        3.9c

1958        14       +1.45        3.5c

1959          0       (1.56)        3.8c

1960        15       +1.88        2.7c

In a short while, I will Post up some Tables, Synoptic Chart "thumbnails" and comments, about my findings for, Decade 2 (1950-1960).

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted

Below, is the Table of the Top 3 "scoring", G.H.M's (Greenland High Months) and their respective U.K. Mean Temps,  in Decade 2 (1950-1960).

Top 3 G.H.M's    U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  JAN 1960          18                       +3.1c

2nd. JAN 1959          18                       +0.9c

3rd.  FEB 1960          15                       +2.7c

I will now Post up some "thumbnail" Synoptic Charts to best illustrate, the 3 Months above.

1. - January 1960:

JAN.1960                                                     JAN.1960                                                  

image.thumb.png.86108a9e8aa39755e5fb8a90c9729257.png    image.thumb.png.2ac538e804de7b25353c95994ac2aa57.png   

JAN.1960

image.thumb.png.1e8e5759fb51de899cc614c6c67a4af9.png

Mild start and end to the Month, with a very cold mid-Month, with the Greenland High working in tandem,  with the Scandinavian High, to deliver some heavy Snow to the North mid-Month. U.K. Mean Temp, came in at 3.1c. 

2. - January 1959: 

image.thumb.png.5bf881ccf741330bbd01c189dde630be.png  Sunniest Jan., since records began. Cold Month . Heavy Snow North. 

3.- February 1960:

image.thumb.png.0c5b596bcab2ce787dd5fc5a4869618a.png Some heavy Snow, North, mid-Month. Warm end, 17.8c Herne Bay, end Month

Regards,

Tom.     :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

I have just finished researching DECADE 3 (1960 - 1970), into the correlation (if any) between, High Pressure over Greenland in the 3 Winter Months and Cold, Wintry Weather, affecting the U.K., in those Months. 

I will now Post up my findings, for the Decembers, Januaries and Februaries of Decade 3 (1960 - 1970).

This was a Decade I was most looking forward to researching, as it contained the epic Winter of 1962-63. Also the Months of January and February 1969, which as I mentioned at the start of the Thread had a good deal amount of Greenland "blocking" but a "polar opposite" result, for the U,K. 

My "Research" on this Decade, was indeed very interesting and a real "eye-opener", for Yours Truly. More on that later. As in Decades 1 and 2, I will publish my Results for the 3 Winter Months individually, beginning with the Decembers of Decade 3 (1960 - 1970):  

DECADE 3  (1960-1970)

(DECEMBER)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1960          1       (0.59)       3.0c

1961        14        1.97         1.8c

1962                 0.20         2.2c

1963          9        0.80         2.4c

1964                0.28         2.7c

1965                0.02         3.3c

1966               (0.08)       4.1c

1967          7        1.38         3.7c

1968          6        1.01         2.6c

1969          4        0.84         2.8c

In a short while, I will Post up my Results for the Januaries and Februaries of DECADE 3  (1960-1970).

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted

Below, are the Results of my findings for the Januaries and Februaries, in Decade 3 (1960-1970):

(JANUARY)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1961          3       (0.09)       2.7c

1962          1       (1.02)       3.6c

1963        17        1.42       (1.8c)

1964                0.27         3.3c

1965          4       (0.02)       2.4c

1966        11        1.12         2.2c

1967        14        1.28         3.7c

1968                0.08         3.5c

1969        17        2.02         4.4c

1970          6        0.65         3.0c

(FEBRUARY)

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1961          0       (0.91)       5.8c

1962          4       (0.37)       3.7c

1963        12        1.18        (1.1c)

1964          9        0.37         3.7c

1965        14        1.72         4.0c

1966                1.18         4.0c

1967          0      (1.13)         4.5c

1968          8        0.69         1.1c

1969        13        1.69         0.1c

1970                 0.09         1.8c

As I hinted at in my previous Post, I was surprised by my findings when researching the Synoptic Charts for the Winter, of 1962/63. It was a Winter I have a  few memories of, as I was 7 at the time. I can remember running up and down huge piles of Snow, to and from School, which Residents had swept clear of their driveways.But I was always under the impression, as the flow came in from the East frequently during that Winter, that the "Main Player" was the Scandinavian High. A close look at the Synoptic pattern during that epic Winter, reveals that simply wasn't the case. 

The Greenland High was the controlling element and the Scandinavian High played just a supporting role, albeit an important one. 

Later on today, I will Post up some Tables, Synoptic Chart "thumbnails" and comments, about my findings for,              Decade 3 (1960-1970).

Regards,

• Like 3

Posted

Below, is the Table of the Top 5 "scoring", G.H.M's (Greenland High Months) and their respective U.K. Mean Temps,  in DECADE 3 (1960-1970).

Top 5 G.H.M's                    U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  JAN 1963          17                       (1.8c)

1st. JAN 1969          17                        4.4c

3rd.  DEC 1961         14                        1.8c

3rd.  JAN 1967          14                       3.7c

3rd. FEB  1965          14                       4.4c

Figures in Brackets. =  Minus Figures.       

Below, is the Table of the Lowest 4 "scoring", G.H.M's (Greenland High Months) and their respective U.K. Mean Temps,  in Decade 2 (1950-1960).

Low. 4 G.H.M's    U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  FEB. 1961            0                         5.8c

2nd. FEB .1967            0                         4.5c

3rd.  DEC.1966             0                        4.1c

4th.  DEC.1965             0                        3.3c

Later on tomorrow, I will Post up some Synoptic Chart "thumbnails" and comments, about my findings for,                    DECADE 3 (1960-1970).

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

After a break of a few Days, to give my eyesight a rest, I have now finished my research into  Decade 4 (1970 to 1979).

I will now Post up my findings, for the Decembers, Januaries and Februaries of Decade 4 (1970 - 1980).

Below, are my findings for all Decembers, in Decade 4:

DECEMBER

G.H.D.     G.B.I.  U.K.MEAN 

1970     10        +0.65        3.7c 

1971             (1.17)        6.0c

1972       1        (1.26)        4.9c

1973       2        +0.18         4.0c

1974       0        (1.17)        6.5c

1975       0        (0.64)        4.7c

1976     12        +0.79        1.4c

1977       2        +0.08        5.2c

1978     24        +2.26        3.3c

1979       0        (0.77)        4.5c

In a short while, I will Post up my findings, for the Januaries and Februaries of Decade 4 (1970 - 1980).

Regards,

Tom.      :hi: 

• Like 1

Posted

I will now Post up my findings, for the Januaries and Februaries of Decade 4 (1970 - 1980)

Decade 4 (1970 - 1980)   

JANUARY

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1971          3       +0.26        3.9c

1972          3       (0.94)        3.1c

1973          0       (0.34)        3.9c

1974          0       (1.09)        5.0c

1975          0       (1.26)        5.3c

1976          2       (0.24)        4.5c

1977        13       +1.54        1.9c

1978          2       (0.72)        2.3c

1979          8       +1.18       (0.5c)

1980        12       +1.43        1.8c

Figures in Brackets. = Minus Figures

Decade 4 (1970 - 1980)   

FEBRUARY

G.H.D.   G.B.I. U.K.MEAN

1971               (0.35)       5.3c

1972          6       (0.58)       5.2c

1973          0       (0.79)       5.1c

1974              + 0.01        5.6c

1975               (0.07)       5.4c

1976          0       (1.48)       5.3c

1977          7       +0.66        5.1c

1978        13       +1.64        7.3c

1979          2       (0.12)        5.6c

1980               +0.30         4.6c

Figures in Brackets. = Minus Figures

In a short whie, I will Post up some Tables, Synoptic Chart "thumbnails" and comments, about my findings for,             Decade 4 (1970-1980).

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Below, is the Table of the Top 5 "scoring", G.H.M (Greenland High Months), their G.H.D. (Greenland High Days) "score", and their respective U.K. Mean Temps,  in DECADE 4 (1960-1970)

Top 5 G.H.M.     G.H.D.       U.K.MEAN TEMP.    

1st.  DEC.1978          24                       3.3c

2nd. JAN.1977          13                       1.9c

3rd.  FEB.1978          13                       7.8c

4th.  DEC.1976          12                       1.4c

5th.  JAN. 1980         12                       4.4c

G.H.M. = Greenland High Months.

G.H.D. =  Greenland High Days.

First thing to mention is the very "blocked" Month of December 1978, over Greenland. With a "score" of 24 Days, it's the most I've witnessed in my Research so far, one in front of the very cold and wintry, February 1947.

Below, is a Synoptic Chart depicting the situation over Greenland, on Christmas Day 1978. It is pretty representative of the strength of "Heights" over Greenland, registered in the Table above, for the great majority of that 24 Day spell. These "Heights" were eventually the catalyst for driving the Jet Stream and attendant Low Pressure, ever further South, during the Christmas period. The very cold air arrived in the North of the U.K., just before Christmas, giving a White Festive Day. By the end of Christmas Week, Low Pressure was making a "beeline" for the English Channel. This resulted in the epic Snowstorm, overnight on the 30th/31st December for the South of the U.K. 

1.)        CHRISTMAS DAY 1978

image.thumb.png.288f5c9032caa67fb9f0fe5e22ef358e.png

A retrogressing High that settled over or close to Greenland, was responsible for driving cold Northerly winds southwards over the U.K. and delivering a colder than average Month of January 1977.

2.)               9th JAN.1977

image.thumb.png.e18dac08dc040a8ce4ad3fefd2f18267.png

Later on today, I will Post up some more Tables, Synoptic Chart "thumbnails" and comments, about my findings for   Decade 4 (1970-1980).

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

I've been doing a bit more studying around the Greenland High and found a couple of great papers 🤠 sometimes they don't link correctly but the first if you type Extreme Greenland blocking and high-latitude moisture transport

RMETS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

This super pic showing the temperatures associated with the extreme 2010 Greenland High arcticlsta_amo_2010337_lrg.png

arcticlsta_amo_2010337_tn.jpg
EARTHOBSERVATORY.NASA.GOV

This map of the land surface temperature shows that the first week of December was exceptionally cold in northern Europe and the eastern United States.

I done a bit of work and created the pressure and temperatures from the most recent Greenland Block of December 2022 these from weeks 1 and 2 of December 

Screenshot_20230617_033810_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a44b35dfc1aca475c8db3d04a2ba50d9.jpgScreenshot_20230617_033846_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47078cf14429b29f68b8e51684bd1947.jpgScreenshot_20230617_033924_Chrome.thumb.jpg.89935c2dabf0371a9d51d85245995bde.jpg

Clear similarities with 2010 which fits as the UK recorded temperatures that were closest to the 2010 setup 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/weather/learn-about/uk-past-events/interesting/2022/2022_04_december_low_temperatures_v1.pdf

"Prolonged spell of low temperatures, December 2022
The UK experienced a prolonged spell of low temperatures accompanied by snowfalls from
8 to 18 December 2022 as an Arctic Maritime airmass brought hard frosts, with daytime
temperatures struggling to rise above freezing and accompanied by widespread lying snow
(although generally not deep). Daily minimum temperatures fell widely to between -5°C and
-10°C across the UK on several nights – with hard frosts even in cities and coastal areas,
and some locations below -10°C. On 12 December Braemar recorded a daily maximum
temperature of -9.3°C, the UK’s lowest maximum (excluding mountain stations) since
December 2010. This was one of the most significant spells of low winter temperatures to
affect the UK since the exceptional December of 2010."