Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Was talking to a friend and having a general moan about things and he said 'well at least it hasn't been a bad winter'. I said 'no, it's been ****ing s***'

• Like 2
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

2 hours ago, philglossop said:

That low on Sunday/Monday reminds me of this monster

The main trouble is Monday into Tuesday. I think we're in for trouble if it verifies. 

909mb? Surely that was a bit of an exaggeration. This article reckons it was between 912 and 915 at the lowest. 

RMETS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Most of the ECM ensembles take the storm further north . It’s notable that the lowest pressure readings are reserved for the far north of Scotland .

This is both good and bad news. Less impact for the vast majority of the public but for snow lovers the mild sector is going to be well to the north .

In other words the 'boring' option for us weather lovers or lovers of weather extremes - but that's how it's been going generally all this winter...

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

In other words the 'boring' option for us weather lovers or lovers of weather extremes - but that's how it's been going generally all this winter...

It depends what you mean by boring .

I’m happy to be bored if I was still living in the UK that meant missing the storm ! I like extremes heat and cold and of course snow , but storms do nothing for me . The two big ones down here ended up with days without power. 

Mid winter with no power or heating and bored to tears doesn’t float my boat . I accept others might have a different view re seeing a storm .

Impossible to say what this storm will do at this stage given the timeframes involved .

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’m happy to be bored if I was still living in the UK that meant missing the storm ! I like extremes heat and cold and of course snow , but storms do nothing for me . The two big ones down here ended up with days without power. 

Mid winter with no power or heating and bored to tears doesn’t float my boat . I accept others might have a different view re seeing a storm .

Impossible to say what this storm will do at this stage given the timeframes involved .

The great Midlands blizzard of the 8th December 1990 meant there was no power though for many and many other snow events - Jan 1987 saw housewives in tears around where i lived because of burst pipes and heating breakdowns.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I'm the complete opposite but I can understand why people don't like windstorms. 26/12/98 that storm was when I fell in love with extreme weather, I had just turned 8. Liked snow from as long as I could remember but that turned me in to weather nerd ha. 

Wind gust of 110mph and sustained winds were hurricane force. Loads of lightning, hail sleet and even snow on the back end of it. We had no electricity for 4 days and I loved it. Now I would probably hate that but a technology detox would probably be good for everyone ha. 

Funny that's the first storm i can remember too and i was also 8 at the time.More like 90mph where i am but still plenty of minor damage and intermittent power cuts during the night.The only one that's got to that level since was the Jan 3rd storm a few years back.

Like 99% of storms the ones during next week will likely be downgraded.I wouldn't take serious notice of the details until 3 days out and by then it'll likely be limited to 50-60mph and mostly affecting Scotland. 

Sunny spells and 9C today. Very pleasant indeed. As much as I like ‘exciting” weather I’d happily take days like this all winter long. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

I have no interest in windy weather, as it is not something you can actually see.

It's like having someone throwing your garden furniture around but you can't see who it is.

The worst bit of windy weather is having to rescue your wheely bin from where ever it has ended up.

Nearly 100% certain it will be a snowless winter for most with just 3-weeks of winter left, and no sign of any snow storms.

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'
12 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Back to winter and finally some lying snow in central and south-central Sweden; many places for the first time since December, a few for the first time this winter:

Snow depths 0600

Not everywhere got it, all the coastal areas got nothing including Stockholm, also the inland eastern half above about 58.5N seems to have missed out, as did a few places near those that got some. 1-5 cm generally, but Boras got lucky and ended up with 20cm even though just 25km down the road at Bollebygd only 3cm.

Temperatures 0700

But already starting to rise above freezing in much of the affected area, even before sunrise....

We also got 3-5cm yesterday night the first snowfall after Christmas. 

No sign of pattern change thought, I believe that we will smash all records of the mildest winter ever

1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Summer would appear to be a bit early this year in southern Spain

EP9RnAZXsAMAvJ-.thumb.png.91edc69e63cbfb9ac1c950c79064c802.png

Wonder if that will get sucked north later in the month like it did last February?

1 minute ago, Don said:

Wonder if that will get sucked north later in the month like it did last February?

Interesting point Don, lots of warmth to the South gathering, and plenty of Cold bottled up to the North.. Potentially a very mild end to winter, with perhaps a greater risk of cold come March, no surprises there then... On a positive note mate, another 9 months and we will be counting down to the 20/21 season, surely to god it can't be any worse than this lame affair! ?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Interesting point Don, lots of warmth to the South gathering, and plenty of Cold bottled up to the North.. Potentially a very mild end to winter, with perhaps a greater risk of cold come March, no surprises there then... On a positive note mate, another 9 months and we will be counting down to the 20/21 season, surely to god it can't be any worse than this lame affair! ?

The last thing I want to round off this dreadful winter is a taste of summer.  However, I wouldn't be at all surprised.  In fact I would say it is more likely than not!  I agree realistically we now have to pin our hopes on March for some cold weather, but not banking on it.  Winter 2020/21 certainly couldn't be any more snowless than this, but I fear we may have a similar winter due to climate change?!  I do hope not, though!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Seeing as this winter is another dud, can we have a time machine and go back to the 4th February 1895 to see what's coming towards us.

Screenshot_20200204_215952.jpg

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Valencia, Spain, hit 29.6C 85.28F this afternoon.

The last 4 days have been truly insane. Felt truly hot as it would during summertime. Concerns me that this is becoming more and more common though, Global Warming in effect.

3 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

The last 4 days have been truly insane. Felt truly hot as it would during summertime. Concerns me that this is becoming more and more common though, Global Warming in effect.

Do you know what the previous January record was for Valencia?

2 minutes ago, Don said:

Do you know what the previous January record was for Valencia?

26.6C in January 2018, had this spell occured a week earlier that record would've gone too.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

26.6C in January 2018, had this spell occured a week earlier that record would've gone too.

Fairly recently then!

• Like 1

I have just been on Facebook and all I have seen were newspaper articles (from our usual favourites) saying how it’s going to be around -10 and deep snow. I know it’s how they sell papers but do they have to do that????  The next week or so could be potentially interesting and I would take a bit of unusual weather over the crap we’ve had all winter. Chances are for where I am in the Deep South ? that it will probably end up being slightly windy with cold heavy rain. If it ends up like today I will take it over the mess we call winter. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Valencia, Spain, hit 29.6C 85.28F this afternoon.

I’m guessing that’s a record? Ridiculous. Valencia only exceeds that as an average high in July and August so it is quite literally like a mid-summers day in what is essentially the middle of winter still.

Valencia is a beautiful city too btw, well worth a visit.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1