Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

13 minutes ago, swfc said:

You coudnt write it!!!?????

Upper trough around the eastern periphery of the high pressure. Plus it's at 4,000ft

ecmwf-deterministic-middleeast-t850_anom_stream-1422400.thumb.png.051b77be7d3a3b3f9014cb8197c96068.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Heavy snow in Iraq this afternoon

That's nothing too unusual there on the Iraq-Turkey border. It's over 4000 feet up as well. The climate there is a tad different than Baghdad which sits inside the Arabian desert.

2 hours ago, ciel said:

After rain showers this morning, sleety showers this afternoon in a temp of 2C (higher up in the Glen). Passed a field of depressed-looking cattle standing motionless, shin-deep in mud. The whole field was a messy mud fest.

Yes neep field is very muddy again.Cows go out have their row of neeps and come back in again after about two hours to freshly bedded fold where this afternoon thay just lay down very quickly. We are getting them to eat off the wetter areas of the field as no machines will travel there till possibly April.

Out intering cattle on anything but pure sand this winter is not a pretty sight but having said that their lungs will  be healthier not being housed in very humid damp weather

• Like 2

Sweden results in now for January. Recorded well above average temps right across the country , generally in the range +4 to 6 c above average with the extreme of 10c above average in the Central belt. One of the warmest since records began over there and they were one of the forerunners in recordings going back along time. This winter warmth is frightening me.

C

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes neep field is very muddy again.Cows go out have their row of neeps and come back in again after about two hours to freshly bedded fold where this afternoon thay just lay down very quickly. We are getting them to eat off the wetter areas of the field as no machines will travel there till possibly April.

Out intering cattle on anything but pure sand this winter is not a pretty sight but having said that their lungs will  be healthier not being housed in very humid damp weather

Sad to read that NL. Our local farmer has a herd of , yes, Highland breed cattle and shorthorns in an open paddock next to the barn, they wander in and out all day, plenty of straw bedding and hay feed inside but seem to spend most of the day outdoors in the snow covered paddock and sunshine, which I think they like.

C

All nine of the country's counties have measured their warmest January ever. Several of the records are broken at the country's oldest measuring stations.

paul-6Iqo55KrjRU-unsplash.jpg?quality=85
WWW.MET.NO

Hele ni av landets fylker har målt sin varmeste januar noensinne. Flere av rekordene slås på landets eldste målestasjoner.

Many stations also recorded their wettest January ever.

So.. will it be warmest WINTER ever? I think we are pretty close, weather models for the first half of February show no signs of change

Edited by topo
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Sweden results in now for January. Recorded well above average temps right across the country , generally in the range +4 to 6 c above average with the extreme of 10c above average in the Central belt. One of the warmest since records began over there and they were one of the forerunners in recordings going back along time. This winter warmth is frightening me.

C

I hope this winter has not marked a step change for winters to come.  Mind you, I thought the same in early 2007.  However, with the ever warming climate it will happen sooner or later.

7 minutes ago, Don said:

I hope this winter has not marked a step change for winters to come.  Mind you, I thought the same in early 2007.  However, with the ever warming climate it will happen sooner or later.

Norway results in now. Looks like their warmest ever January. This is widespread winter warmth. Sure something is not right. 23c in NE Spain today !

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Sad to read that NL. Our local farmer has a herd of , yes, Highland breed cattle and shorthorns in an open paddock next to the barn, they wander in and out all day, plenty of straw bedding and hay feed inside but seem to spend most of the day outdoors in the snow covered paddock and sunshine, which I think they like.

C

Remember my father had an old wooden shed in the early sixties next to a field where the cattle had freedom to come and go outside but with a bed of straw inside.Always amused him that on a very cold night maybe -6c or lower they would be lying  outside chewing the cud contentedly the one type of weather they hated was wind and rain but as soon  rain stopped they would be outside again.

• Like 2

If this is global warming, accelerating on a much faster scale than scientists think, we are doomed within a few short years!  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

You can bet your bottom dollar it will go negative through the summer months!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Look toward Greenland ? 

Trust me to pick June to go storm chasing this year!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Trust me to pick June to go storm chasing this year!

Might be something brewing for next week 

will keep an eye on it and will open a thread in the storm chasing section if needed.

2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Norway results in now. Looks like their warmest ever January. This is widespread winter warmth. Sure something is not right. 23c in NE Spain today !

It's the result of a warming climate.  I think this winter will most likely be the warmest on record for Scandinavia and probably Europe, too!

• Like 2

I came on here to post that asking for a cold snap is too much, and that I, at this point would be satisfied with just one cold day. But looking at the posts here, I don't even think that's even going to happen.

I have never found myself desperate for the arrival of spring, but it's happening this winter.

I have never found myself hoping it snows in March, but it's happening this winter.

I have never seen a winter fail to record a sub 7C max here, but it's happening this winter.

22 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Thanks mate ?

If there is anything to take from this winter, it's unlikely that next year could be much worse?!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, carinthian said:

An astonishing 27C reached in Valencia yesterday. Now that's extreme !

C

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Look toward Greenland ? 

Its fast becoming the new norm, zero Northern blocking in winter and masses of it and a southerly tracking jet in summer.

The worst possible outcome if related to GW.

17 minutes ago, carinthian said:

An astonishing 27C reached in Valencia yesterday. Now that's extreme !

C

Ridiculous. Temperatures forecast in the mid 70s for the next few days too. In mid-winter. Close to record breaking, but that's not the point really. Just another piece of the 2019/2020 mild winter everywhere puzzle.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Ridiculous. Temperatures forecast in the mid 70s for the next few days too. In mid-winter. Close to record breaking, but that's not the point really. Just another piece of the 2019/2020 mild winter everywhere puzzle.

From Spain to Sweden. Not sure Europe has experienced anything like this winter so far. You just know something is not right. Ignorant Trump still in denial as to whats going on.

C

• Like 1

Winter 1868-1869 compared with 2019-2020 so far

Current mildest winter on record

December 1868 - CET 7.2     December 2019 - CET 5.8     -1.4 lower

January 1869 - CET 5.6         January 2020 - CET 6.5        +0.9 higher

February 1869 - CET 7.5

February 2020 needs to record a CET of 8.0 to equal the mildest winter on record of 1868-1869

If we get CET of 8.1 or more then we have a new record mildest winter.

Based on how our winter has been so far and the output showing for the next 2 weeks at least combined with a possible record breaking positive AO and continuation of positive NAO then don't rule out a February CET of 8.0 or more. That in itself would beat 1779's all time February CET record of 7.9.