Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Video of snow in west of Ireland by joujoujou, boards.ie. There was 10cm at Knock airport overnight. 

Snow dying out now or returning to sleet and rain across the country. 

Edited by The Eagle

1 minute ago, snowray said:

Here comes our easterly, snow showers moving in there from the north sea.😍

No body tell Steve Murr. I don't think he can take another Easterly fail!

As excited as your all getting (the uppers are good) the flow is pretty slack. Unless your in a coastal county i doubt the 48 hour easterly will do much for you. 

I would also add that the GFS operations have had a much higher amplitude phase 3 MJO orbit relative to the ensembles which may be a contributor. 

BOOM BOOM and double BOOM

the gfs and ecm surface charts for t216

216e.thumb.png.37581c79765b3ddd985dc13881f17bf6.png216g.thumb.png.98d265882b25829b5f1e41c6ec805618.png

Evening Sidney

sid.thumb.jpg.7fca36b24acaaa0e2ea4f811f5dfb739.jpg

Edited by knocker

3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

As excited as your all getting (the uppers are good) the flow is pretty slack. Unless your in a coastal county i doubt the 48 hour easterly will do much for you. 

I would also add that the GFS operations have had a much higher amplitude phase 3 MJO orbit relative to the ensembles which may be a contributor. 

Bump!  For the likes of me it will be easterly, what easterly?! 😜  However, at least I can now say  I have seen snow this winter, albeit just a smattering this morning. 👍

Edited by Don

Approaching February and still no snow (or even sleet) in the SE.

Oh well - at least the days are getting longer. Summer soon! 😜

6 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Approaching February and still no snow (or even sleet) in the SE.

Oh well - at least the days are getting longer. Summer soon! 😜

Yeah, and that will probably be a disappointing cloudy grey one, with a few weeks of sunny weather. 

Don’t know why, but I think summer 2020 will be a poor one,  it would be rotten luck if it happens. 

Greetings from Slovakia. Yesterday was highlight day of this winter most likely and we ended up with nice snow cover this morning. It is from the same westerly as IE-UK got snow earlier. Unfortunately it is going to melt on Saturday.

83312684_173339280656730_3597820234716676096_n.jpg

83524656_2853375554718936_5508929747695960064_n.jpg

84169413_765373390639699_8837678196942962688_n.jpg

Surprise snowfall here this morning, some monster flakes coming down (5cm or more).

It'll probably all be gone by this evening sadly as milder air pushes in.

IMG_20200129_092311.thumb.jpg.e4c2ac443b15c744b44bd505b6134dc7.jpg

IMG_20200129_092619.jpg

Edited by AderynCoch

5 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

If a strong jet and Atlantic driven weather is your thing then you'll enjoy the whole of next week. 

image.thumb.png.1da820c03cae2ad59a7a2cdc1de7283c.png

I don't think it's the thing for most of us. Thanks for that! Eternal Autumn just doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. No wonder there's been a plethora of colds flus and bugs, it's a perfect cocktail for em... So no.... Not my Thing at all..... 

Sweet fanny Adams here.... A dreadful winter for all the wrong reasons. Sick of it. But dreading the hot sun.... Hate is as I've got older I prefer the cold and snow. Bet saying that, we now have a scorching summer that will bring out those awful creatures in their droves known as "humans" eugh.... 

Edited by Snowfish2

The models are dire yet again after another tease. To be honest I'm giving up on this meteorological winter season. Dec -Feb. In terms of deep cold or substantial snowfall even though there were a few transient flakes here in Dorset yesterday.

It needs something massive just to turn this winter from dire to decent and if we are totally honest with ourselves there is absolutely no sign of anything massive enough to turn this winter around on the cards at all.  With the greatest respect I think those hanging their hats on an SSW are living in la la land there is no real sign of one at all some slowing but no real reversal or likelyhood of such before winters end taking place.

As if often the case with mild winters we may see a chilly possibly snowy outbreak in March or April as the PV and seasonal wavelengths relax

I,m off to Iceland in a few weeks to get my snowfix  because I,m pretty sure I won't be getting one here at home anytime soon.

For the sake of all my fellow snowlovers I really really hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard

12 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

Time to give up on this terrible winter and look forward to spring when the beast from east comes storming in and cripples the country with 20 foot snow drifts 🤪

Edited your post 🙂

2 hours ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

The models are dire yet again after another tease. To be honest I'm giving up on this meteorological winter season. Dec -Feb. In terms of deep cold or substantial snowfall even though there were a few transient flakes here in Dorset yesterday.

It needs something massive just to turn this winter from dire to decent and if we are totally honest with ourselves there is absolutely no sign of anything massive enough to turn this winter around on the cards at all.  With the greatest respect I think those hanging their hats on an SSW are living in la la land there is no real sign of one at all some slowing but no real reversal or likelyhood of such before winters end taking place.

As if often the case with mild winters we may see a chilly possibly snowy outbreak in March or April as the PV and seasonal wavelengths relax

I,m off to Iceland in a few weeks to get my snowfix  because I,m pretty sure I won't be getting one here at home anytime soon.

For the sake of all my fellow snowlovers I really really hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

Hope you can post some pictures from Iceland. Always wanted to go there. 

As for winter here think it's done now, and not a single flake of snow has fallen. 

Onto spring and the real cold begins. 

Well, I logged in tonight to see that things are looking pretty woeful!  I think even a late Feb cold spell is looking unlikely now and are ever more looking to March for cold.  However, I’m not holding my breath.  This winter just refuses to play ball.....

Edited by Don

Isn’t the MetOffice update from yesterday pointing to below average temperatures for the 1st half of Feb and even later for southern parts ?

Might need to give the models (GFS) a chance to pick up any favourable signals. Either that or the Met Office have got it wrong.

Ok. Might be a sh*te enough of a Winter at least at low level. But anyone else beginning to think this model prediction lark is a total waste of time? 

Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

Ok. Might be a sh*te enough of a Winter at least at low level. But anyone else beginning to think this model prediction lark is a total waste of time? 

Sorry for quoting myself. Just thought it may not be the models fault after all! At least they’ve been correct in predicting sh*te all Winter    

Anyway here’s a few from Grassington 15/12/19 

6F8DF38F-DEFA-42DE-AADC-C1A0B610E141.thumb.jpeg.a4391297b9a01c969944c7342f04aad6.jpeg8D202DD2-3F4B-48A4-9757-52A24CFA0141.thumb.jpeg.5c639c34c2e9f322dfe046b5d77d58ba.jpegEC8B6C2E-4DF9-4AA1-BBBF-5FF9E715CD9D.thumb.jpeg.f81ebd4955bac29b5924c55b55b42506.jpegCAB032D4-CED0-4B29-B3FA-38314E889055.thumb.jpeg.12340a505894cc3165b615f3b603831e.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, I logged in tonight to see that things are looking pretty woeful!  I think even a late Feb cold spell is looking unlikely now and are ever more looking to March for cold.  However, I’m not holding my breath.  This winter just refuses to play ball.....

No this can't be so!!...Tight-Isobar said we were 'triggered' for UK cold :oldrofl:

14 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Isn’t the MetOffice update from yesterday pointing to below average temperatures for the 1st half of Feb and even later for southern parts ?

Might need to give the models (GFS) a chance to pick up any favourable signals. Either that or the Met Office have got it wrong.

The update hasn’t changed today.  However, they have been wrong in the past when models have backtracked.