Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
6 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Approaching February and still no snow (or even sleet) in the SE.

Oh well - at least the days are getting longer. Summer soon! 

Yeah, and that will probably be a disappointing cloudy grey one, with a few weeks of sunny weather. 

Don’t know why, but I think summer 2020 will be a poor one,  it would be rotten luck if it happens. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Greetings from Slovakia. Yesterday was highlight day of this winter most likely and we ended up with nice snow cover this morning. It is from the same westerly as IE-UK got snow earlier. Unfortunately it is going to melt on Saturday.

83312684_173339280656730_3597820234716676096_n.jpg

83524656_2853375554718936_5508929747695960064_n.jpg

84169413_765373390639699_8837678196942962688_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Surprise snowfall here this morning, some monster flakes coming down (5cm or more).

It'll probably all be gone by this evening sadly as milder air pushes in.

IMG_20200129_092311.thumb.jpg.e4c2ac443b15c744b44bd505b6134dc7.jpg

IMG_20200129_092619.jpg

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

If a strong jet and Atlantic driven weather is your thing then you'll enjoy the whole of next week. 

image.thumb.png.1da820c03cae2ad59a7a2cdc1de7283c.png

I don't think it's the thing for most of us. Thanks for that! Eternal Autumn just doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. No wonder there's been a plethora of colds flus and bugs, it's a perfect cocktail for em... So no.... Not my Thing at all..... 

• Like 1

Posted

Sweet fanny Adams here.... A dreadful winter for all the wrong reasons. Sick of it. But dreading the hot sun.... Hate is as I've got older I prefer the cold and snow. Bet saying that, we now have a scorching summer that will bring out those awful creatures in their droves known as "humans" eugh.... 

Edited by Snowfish2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

The models are dire yet again after another tease. To be honest I'm giving up on this meteorological winter season. Dec -Feb. In terms of deep cold or substantial snowfall even though there were a few transient flakes here in Dorset yesterday.

It needs something massive just to turn this winter from dire to decent and if we are totally honest with ourselves there is absolutely no sign of anything massive enough to turn this winter around on the cards at all.  With the greatest respect I think those hanging their hats on an SSW are living in la la land there is no real sign of one at all some slowing but no real reversal or likelyhood of such before winters end taking place.

As if often the case with mild winters we may see a chilly possibly snowy outbreak in March or April as the PV and seasonal wavelengths relax

I,m off to Iceland in a few weeks to get my snowfix  because I,m pretty sure I won't be getting one here at home anytime soon.

For the sake of all my fellow snowlovers I really really hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
12 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

Time to give up on this terrible winter and look forward to spring when the beast from east comes storming in and cripples the country with 20 foot snow drifts

Edited your post

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

The models are dire yet again after another tease. To be honest I'm giving up on this meteorological winter season. Dec -Feb. In terms of deep cold or substantial snowfall even though there were a few transient flakes here in Dorset yesterday.

It needs something massive just to turn this winter from dire to decent and if we are totally honest with ourselves there is absolutely no sign of anything massive enough to turn this winter around on the cards at all.  With the greatest respect I think those hanging their hats on an SSW are living in la la land there is no real sign of one at all some slowing but no real reversal or likelyhood of such before winters end taking place.

As if often the case with mild winters we may see a chilly possibly snowy outbreak in March or April as the PV and seasonal wavelengths relax

I,m off to Iceland in a few weeks to get my snowfix  because I,m pretty sure I won't be getting one here at home anytime soon.

For the sake of all my fellow snowlovers I really really hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

Hope you can post some pictures from Iceland. Always wanted to go there. 

As for winter here think it's done now, and not a single flake of snow has fallen. 

Onto spring and the real cold begins. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well, I logged in tonight to see that things are looking pretty woeful!  I think even a late Feb cold spell is looking unlikely now and are ever more looking to March for cold.  However, I’m not holding my breath.  This winter just refuses to play ball.....

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Isn’t the MetOffice update from yesterday pointing to below average temperatures for the 1st half of Feb and even later for southern parts ?

Might need to give the models (GFS) a chance to pick up any favourable signals. Either that or the Met Office have got it wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Ok. Might be a sh*te enough of a Winter at least at low level. But anyone else beginning to think this model prediction lark is a total waste of time? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

Ok. Might be a sh*te enough of a Winter at least at low level. But anyone else beginning to think this model prediction lark is a total waste of time? 

Sorry for quoting myself. Just thought it may not be the models fault after all! At least they’ve been correct in predicting sh*te all Winter    

Anyway here’s a few from Grassington 15/12/19 

6F8DF38F-DEFA-42DE-AADC-C1A0B610E141.thumb.jpeg.a4391297b9a01c969944c7342f04aad6.jpeg8D202DD2-3F4B-48A4-9757-52A24CFA0141.thumb.jpeg.5c639c34c2e9f322dfe046b5d77d58ba.jpegEC8B6C2E-4DF9-4AA1-BBBF-5FF9E715CD9D.thumb.jpeg.f81ebd4955bac29b5924c55b55b42506.jpegCAB032D4-CED0-4B29-B3FA-38314E889055.thumb.jpeg.12340a505894cc3165b615f3b603831e.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
27 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, I logged in tonight to see that things are looking pretty woeful!  I think even a late Feb cold spell is looking unlikely now and are ever more looking to March for cold.  However, I’m not holding my breath.  This winter just refuses to play ball.....

No this can't be so!!...Tight-Isobar said we were 'triggered' for UK cold :oldrofl:

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Isn’t the MetOffice update from yesterday pointing to below average temperatures for the 1st half of Feb and even later for southern parts ?

Might need to give the models (GFS) a chance to pick up any favourable signals. Either that or the Met Office have got it wrong.

The update hasn’t changed today.  However, they have been wrong in the past when models have backtracked.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

2019/2020 contender for worst winter ever?

I saw a smattering of snow yesterday (albeit not IMBY) which I didn’t see in 2013/14 for example.  However, it could well be up there with the worst!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If nothing comes of February then it’ll be the worst I can remember here for sure. No snow, hardly any frosts, wind, rain and endless grey skies. Truly awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
16 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

If February doesn't deliver anything then it'll definitely be one of the worst I can remember considering there's been nothing of any interest at all.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

2017/18 and 2018/19 weren’t even that special and mostly quite boring but we still managed at least one reasonable snow event.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CheesepuffScott said:

2017/18 and 2018/19 weren’t even that special and mostly quite boring but we still managed at least one reasonable snow event.

Indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I did have one reasonable snowfall last year, although it melted fairly quickly, but didn't really see any in 2017/18 but of course what happened in March made up for the lack of anything during actual winter. Both of those winters would easily be considered better than how this winters been so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Contender for sure but someway to go to beat 2013/14 which was awful, I haven't even recorded an air frost this winter which has never happened!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Next month looks potentially very mild, would love an early taste of spring like last February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
59 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Depends what you class as special. To get this sort of deep cold like we experienced in Feb 2018 I would call special. Especially these days with a changing climate & cold becoming even more rare to get in this country.

archives-2018-2-28-12-1.thumb.png.cfc63137139a041b2025700111dda545.png

Even the middle of March brought another onslaught & another dumping of snow.

archives-2018-3-18-0-1.thumb.png.a2186c77470855b2aa71d6de3c4b4402.png

So at least 2017/18 brought a couple of potent cold spells. Better than probably anything we saw between 1997-2008. 

• Like 4