Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

That must be highly unusual for your neck of the woods, cheese?

I've managed 5 here. Poor compared to last year, but not as bad as 2018.

I'm on my 5th month in a row for 100mm+. January is currently as 115mm.

Yes very unusual. Didn’t realise how few poor it had been. Leeds city centre did have two frost-free months in 1990 - Jan and Feb - but not since then. It’s obviously highly urbanised though with ever-increasing development so they’ll probably become more common in the future.

We’ve probably been lucky with the rain. 

Edited by cheese

It remains a never ending mystery to me why the cold and ice lovers seem to feel that they deserve more than the rest of us mere mortals. As witnessed by the oft repeated saying, or words to that effect, "God, do we ever deserve it" at the possibility of crippling snow and ice sometime in the next six months. I mean, do they contribute more to the Cornish destitute fund? No; the survivors of the 47, 62-3 winters fund? No. So essentially they are just a bunch of whingers who are not getting their sweeties 😎

1 hour ago, knocker said:

It remains a never ending mystery to me why the cold and ice lovers seem to feel that they deserve more than the rest of us mere mortals. As witnessed by the oft repeated saying, or words to that effect, "God, do we ever deserve it" at the possibility of crippling snow and ice sometime in the next six months. I mean, do they contribute more to the Cornish destitute fund? No; the survivors of the 47, 62-3 winters fund? No. So essentially they are just a bunch of whingers who are not getting their sweeties 😎

I do wish you'd get off the fence

🤪

5 minutes ago, West is Best said:

I do wish you'd get off the fence

🤪

I do apologize but prevarication spreads like wild fires in here 8)

10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Bit harsh. He's a meteorology graduate.

More than a bit harsh, he has completed his masters and is half way to his PhD and is a published researcher alongside well known meteorologists (with particular regard to the stratosphere) such as Amy Butler, Andrew Charlton-Perez and Jason Furtado, and has a paper currently in review co-authored by sometime contributor to the strat thread Zac Lawrence (curator of stratobserve.com). His tweets are some of the more interesting out there and a world apart from some of the popular uninformed drivel which frequently graces these forums!

10 hours ago, cheese said:

Yes very unusual. Didn’t realise how few poor it had been. Leeds city centre did have two frost-free months in 1990 - Jan and Feb - but not since then. It’s obviously highly urbanised though with ever-increasing development so they’ll probably become more common in the future.

Just two air frosts here too and they were a feeble -0.4C and -0.5C. All in all, it's been below freezing for barely 5 hours this month.

It's looking like a sunny month for us however. We need just 18hrs more to break the record and that'll get a huge bite out of it today.

58 minutes ago, Interitus said:

More than a bit harsh, he has completed his masters and is half way to his PhD and is a published researcher alongside well known meteorologists (with particular regard to the stratosphere) such as Amy Butler, Andrew Charlton-Perez and Jason Furtado, and has a paper currently in review co-authored by sometime contributor to the strat thread Zac Lawrence (curator of stratobserve.com). His tweets are some of the more interesting out there and a world apart from some of the popular uninformed drivel which frequently graces these forums!

Quite right - he may be a graduate and fairly young, but he’s had papers published and is highly regarded in the strat world. If he says something it’s usually worth a listen. People like Judah Cohen are very knowledgable, but as a known cold ramper he posts too many red herrings.

15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That must be highly unusual for your neck of the woods, cheese?

I've managed 5 here. Poor compared to last year, but not as bad as 2018.

I'm on my 5th month in a row for 100mm+. January is currently as 115mm.

11 air frosts here nothing below -2c though.

2018 are you sure thats 2 years ago the whole season gave a magnificent 47 air frosts some extremely severe with that mighty BEAST FROM THE EAST.

6 hours ago, knocker said:

To be fair, this Winter has been one tiring journey chasing after the sweets and candy in the models. Soaks up work time going after those sweeties and for getting addicted to the biggest sweet of all -Netweather! If the sweets can’t be had, think I’d be happy to settle with the salmon and salad. 🐠🥬 Healthier and less stressful lol.

14 hours ago, cheese said:

Has double digit maxima exceed the number of days in October.

Just had a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder at the office. So this winter hasn't mustered up any snow, but has managed lightning. Alright!

5 hours ago, Interitus said:

Ah wasn't aware, not had much to do with Simon but met him a couple of times. In which case, I'll upgrade my "bit harsh" to completely uncalled for.

18 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ah wasn't aware, not had much to do with Simon but met him a couple of times. In which case, I'll upgrade my "bit harsh" to completely uncalled for.

Listening to actual experts is so last century.

3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

11 air frosts here nothing below -2c though.

2018 are you sure thats 2 years ago the whole season gave a magnificent 47 air frosts some extremely severe with that mighty BEAST FROM THE EAST.

I was talking about January - Just one frost.

4 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Has double digit maxima exceed the number of days in October.

No, but it has exceeded November.

OK january this month 3 air frosts 2018 with 6 air.

Today hasn`t been mild anyway 4.5c max.

January 2018 had some higher daytime temps than this year for my location,

but on average it was 1.3°C colder @4.5°C, than this year average 5.8°C.

The end of February 2018 it did become very cold, so maybe we have to wait until end of Feb this year for some proper cold weather.

19 hours ago, reef said:

Just two air frosts here too and they were a feeble -0.4C and -0.5C. All in all, it's been below freezing for barely 5 hours this month.

It's looking like a sunny month for us however. We need just 18hrs more to break the record and that'll get a huge bite out of it today.

Leeming is on 120% for sun this month interestingly enough, so for this part of the country January looks like being mild, dry and sunny. I don’t mind that at all tbh. In general I think we’ve done well for sun in recent years, especially in winter and spring.

Edited by cheese

First slight dusting of the month 0.8c was snowing now clear.

Surprisingly had a sleety snow flurry here... albeit it was a very very very very light one. The clouds looked really broken up overhead, so was astounded to see anything falling at all. The first teeny bit of wintry weather have had so far this Winter. 😅

M74 closed by snow overnight between J15 and J16. I once drove back from Glasgow airport at 2am and the clear motorway turned completely white as we went uphill in heavy snow (no wind, big flakes). It was an eerie experience, like driving through fog, at around 15-20mph, dead quiet, with no other cars at all, and being unable to tell where the lanes were so I just drove on the left side of middle. It felt even odder when I passed a car facing backwards in a field. When we got to Beattock Summit at the top, it was clear and remained so all the way home.

WWW.DAILYRECORD.CO.UK

Major routes, including the M8 motorway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, have been affected this morning.

It’s just snowed here too albeit not settled. That brings it on par with 2014 which only had one shower that did not settle, my least snowy winter.