Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Indeed i have had dumpings in 3 of the last 7.

I recommend Senakot

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

our turn for unseasonably cold weather will probably happen in the summer again,with HLB taking over.Watch this space..

Really!?!...the 'unseasonably cold' you refer to was only a week/5 days around 10th June if memory serves me right, the majority of the month was near normal with a warm final week and the rest of summer above average, let's not over exaggerate and the HLB in July and August (was due to excessive heights in the Greenland area, didn't effect this country).

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, jules216 said:

Yes I was lucky to live in a nice area in Co.Wicklow and people were friendly,generaly I enjoyed my time in Ireland,I think the last few years it didnt take the right path with cost of living and the way country was run,safety becoming an issue in Dublin and of course the weather was so so.I did start to miss the continental lifestyle eventually being able to do things on the weekends which I could only do on holidays like going to local commuter pool in summer,skating on frozen lakes,skiing,family and friends from childhood,Slovakia is poor compared to Ireland but a bit more things to do here year round specially outdoors

Oh mate, you are selling Slovakia to me. 

My partner is from Latvia, and while it’s a completely different region, they also enjoy woodland hikes and skiing, although it’s quite flat. They get plenty of snow usually, but 2019/20 has been snowless so far there.

Ireland is nice, but it has way too much rain for my liking, and while it has lovely countryside, I find The Lakes region in England just as nice, although weather can be poor also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
58 minutes ago, Catacol said:

A cold winter will come - for sure. People prior to 09 had started to right off cold and then we got 2 good ones and a half decent one in the space of 4 years. And individual weeks of snowy cold like 91 and 96 will happen. Just not in 2019/20 I fear. Girding the loins to face 6 weeks of hay fever misery and hiding from the heat through summer (I am distinctly unhappy in June and July in particular) before looking once again for winter onset. Before then Spring is often a pleasant transition and warm days in April are a delight. So not all bad.

And let’s not forget 2 out of the last 7 March months have held significant cold interest. 

March has been a winter month more than not here in the Pennines but I have never in my 52 years gone December and January with almost nothing wintery whatsoever,almost unbelievable even in these modern times ,even worse nothing on the horizon.It would not even surprise me if we get an early mild spring and we can call it the 'Year with no winter'!

Posted
28 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Oh mate, you are selling Slovakia to me. 

My partner is from Latvia, and while it’s a completely different region, they also enjoy woodland hikes and skiing, although it’s quite flat. They get plenty of snow usually, but 2019/20 has been snowless so far there.

Ireland is nice, but it has way too much rain for my liking, and while it has lovely countryside, I find The Lakes region in England just as nice, although weather can be poor also.

Oh I would move there in a heartbeat, living in a crappy part of London is no fun, and it was so refreshing to see genuinely polite, lovely and friendly people wherever I went to Bratislava.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

Moderate Ninas or Moderate Ninos used to be good for cold winters in Europe. I remember @sebastiaan1973 posted a table few years ago of winters in various ENSO states and most of moderate Ninas were frigid winters in Europe.Though those good analogues dont seem to apply these day unfortunately

Yes. Moderate Niña around -1.5 would be good. I did read one article making a causal link between +IOD setups and a move towards Niña afterwards though I haven’t checked in any detail. Might take a look later or over the weekend. If we saw a Niña build through the later part of 2020 it would increase hopes for 2020/21 further.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
24 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

March has been a winter month more than not here in the Pennines but I have never in my 52 years gone December and January with almost nothing wintery whatsoever,almost unbelievable even in these modern times ,even worse nothing on the horizon.It would not even surprise me if we get an early mild spring and we can call it the 'Year with no winter'!

Cohen is calling it that already. Agreed. Quite hideous. Here in the SW we struggle for proper winter conditions even in average years, and save for 3 mornings of frost this week it has been mild throughout and often very wet. Perpetual autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Cohen is calling it that already. Agreed. Quite hideous. Here in the SW we struggle for proper winter conditions even in average years, and save for 3 mornings of frost this week it has been mild throughout and often very wet. Perpetual autumn.

Only 3? There's been 5 here, and i'm usually in the warm spot. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, jules216 said:

Moderate Ninas or Moderate Ninos used to be good for cold winters in Europe. I remember @sebastiaan1973 posted a table few years ago of winters in various ENSO states and most of moderate Ninas were frigid winters in Europe.Though those good analogues dont seem to apply these day unfortunately

Interestingly if you separate Jan-March periods by ONI and look at reanalysing the high latitude setups are actually -0.1>-0.9 and +1>+1.9 while moderate and above Nina’s are zonal.

Although we are told weak Nino’s are best actually the signal from neutral positive and weak Niño is for +AO but settled.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Catacol the north Pacific is definitely cooler than it was with the main warmer water area further west which has altered the storm tracks for the west / NW coast USA and Alaska 

23rd December 2019 anomnight.12.23.2019.gif

23rd January 2020

anomnight.1.23.2020.gif

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Catacol the north Pacific is definitely cooler than it was with the main warmer water area further west which has altered the storm tracks for the west / NW coast USA and Alaska 

23rd December 2019 anomnight.12.23.2019.gif

23rd January 2020

anomnight.1.23.2020.gif

I mentioned the persistent warm sst values n Pacific in recent winters coincided with mild here.. so interesting to note if we see colder values into next winter what effect it may have.. that's if it has any or indeed values go cold..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Interestingly if you separate Jan-March periods by ONI and look at reanalysing the high latitude setups are actually -0.1>-0.9 and +1>+1.9 while moderate and above Nina’s are zonal.

Although we are told weak Nino’s are best actually the signal from neutral positive and weak Niño is for +AO but settled.

moderate Ninas have very cold signal in December - early winter, 1995,2010 ex. and zonal 2nd half dendencies,small sample envelope though.

Posted
9 hours ago, Nath said:

Oh I would move there in a heartbeat, living in a crappy part of London is no fun, and it was so refreshing to see genuinely polite, lovely and friendly people wherever I went to Bratislava.

I think London is a nice city, but it depends on where you live.

I’m a Londoner born and bred(yes we do exist), but I would love to eventually move to the countryside or smaller town. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
12 minutes ago, West is Best said:

The worst winter for cold weather I can ever remember.

Not sure if 1997/98 was worse. See if there is any improvement in February!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
52 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

30 years ago today, there was a snow cover here. The day before the great 25th January 1990 gale.

January 1990 was a very mild month, similar to this month so far, although I do believe a few favoured spots saw snowfall on the 24th and 27th of that month, so you must have been one of the lucky few.  That said from what I can see from records it did not lay on the ground for more than part of a day.  I think these were brief occasions in the tropical maritime airmass where colder sectors of polar maritime air were cold enough for a few areas to see snow falling.  That said any brief snowfalls were slim pickings indeed for most of the country that winter.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
7 hours ago, jules216 said:

moderate Ninas have very cold signal in December - early winter, 1995,2010 ex. and zonal 2nd half dendencies,small sample envelope though.

Not sure I agree there; winter 2017-18 moderate La Nina = fairly cold February with cold spell at the end; winter 2011-12 moderate La Nina = cold period early Feb; winter 1984-85 moderate La Nina = cold Jan - Mar period. winter 1955-56 moderate La Nina = very cold February.  The only years of moderate La Nina that had a cold December were 2010 and to a lesser extent 1995, although 1995-96 also had a cold spell late January and a fairly cold February.  The only significant example of a La Nina having a cold early winter and a mild late winter was 2010-11 (a strong La Nina) although other strong La Nina years mostly saw an average to slightly above December and an overall mild rest of the winter.  I cannot see looking at all La Nina winters since 1950 that there is much of a correlation between a cold early winter and mild late winter apart from 2010-11.

Posted
2 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Not sure if 1997/98 was worse. See if there is any improvement in February!

This winter is definitely worse. in 1997/98 we had northerlies in early December that brought some northern and east coast regions some snow showers. We then had the beast from the east in mid December with that frontal snow event that I remember so well. Also around 19th or 20th January there was another northerly that gave further snow showers so compare 1997/98 to 2019/20 we had at least 3 snow events before this date whilst this winter I have seen ... NONE so 2019/20 definitely a lot worse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

2013/14 just as bad if not worse...but probably more interesting due to flooding and various wind events, this winter so far counted 18 days which have been dull, cloudy and fairly calm (non-event days) and this isn't even the rainy days so shows how terrible it's been.

Edited by Froze were the Days

On 17/01/2020 at 09:46, Interitus said:

Roughly half-way through winter, taking the daily CET data from December and estimated values to January 15th, how mild has it been?

This winter is 13th mildest (out of 245) with 2015/6 unsurprisingly top after the incredible December, but there are some short memories, last year was a tad milder to this point and of recent years 2006/7 is also ahead. Close behind are 2013/4 and 2011/2 in the top 20 -

image.thumb.png.d10eaecc4f024f588b7003dca9263fa7.png

An alternative view is the absence of cold to this point, seen from the lowest daily CET. By this measure 2019/20 is joint 12th with a coldest day of 1.5°C, albeit right at the start of December. However 2013/4 is top with the coldest day a barely below average 3.5°C -

image.thumb.png.c9a1a71c057b92140ce87172d367bf09.png

A week on, winter 2019/20 has slipped to 16th mildest. Of recent years it has passed last winter, but has in turn been overtaken by 2013/14 and is still behind 2015/6 and 2006/7 -

image.thumb.png.9b3212a13646954156dd3e7981b898fe.png

For lack of cold this winter is now 9th, but 2013/14 still rules the roost with basically no cold to this point whatsoever -

image.thumb.png.888acfe08617c4b5204ed8a405cc1a2c.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Google search: when does spring begin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Lol.

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.32d4f0a83a9c8f5b61256152facbed31.png

Posted

I do agree that the endless Autumn of 2014 was much worse but that’s probably because the last month has had two protracted settled spells and it’s at least felt chilly.