Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes please  -  i would have it all year around please.

I’m sure you would lol, but as a season lover, cold and wet after mild and wet doesn’t arouse much interest...

Give me that pattern in Jan and Feb any year.

I find March to be more of a winter month than December so it will not be any surprise if a cold March does turn up or even April as well as the very cold Stratosphere finally begins to weaken and a more amplified pattern begins to take hold!

Seven years ago today, it has been so long 😪

2013-01-20 15.56.00.jpg

Ready to start chasing some warmth now.. 

Its been an abismal winter apart from the suprise snowfall I had back in November. 

Were going through a period where northern blocking is becoming harder and harder to establish.. 

I can't remember the last time we had a proper battleground scenario, its been to long.

Low solar activity affecting our weather is another one off the list of positives in regards to promoting colder UK weather. 

6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

22 months ago (March 2018) - not so long ago

20180302_161129.jpg

Seems like a flippin age!

2 minutes ago, Don said:

Seems like a flippin age!

Maybe, but it isnt 7 years ago. Short memories and all that😀

11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Maybe, but it isnt 7 years ago. Short memories and all that😀

Wasn't quite the battleground I was referring to. 

Yes indeed a good spell that occurred due to the SSW, but even then the low pressure migrated north through France. As appose to sliding against an already in situ block. 

10 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Of course, I called Jan as a dead duck weeks ago, i held out hope for Feb but the first of Feb now looks a complete write off.

The most wretched winter i can ever recall and i'm not far off 50 now.

One of the decreasing number of straws we have left to clutch is AMO ,we are due to see a switch in the next decade, or so i believe.

In a way this non-winter is even worse than the non-winter of 2013/14. At least in that one, the Scottish ski resorts had a huge dumping of snow. This one however has been a real dog egg. 

4 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

In a way this non-winter is even worse than the non-winter of 2013/14. At least in that one, the Scottish ski resorts had a huge dumping of snow. This one however has been a real dog egg. 

It has been an absolute bloody shocker. In fact it beats last year which was dire in itself. I honestly didn't think it possible. Then typically., the met call it right when they said mild. Understatement. 

8 hours ago, knocker said:

I see the cold coven are predictable getting a tad emotive at the likely demise of the settled spell and a return to wet and windy 😎

Absolutely, I’ve still got pools of water at the bottom of my garden dating back to November. Ground is still so saturated that it only needs modest rainfall to flood my driveway and turn the surrounding fields into Vietnamese rice paddies, Suffice to say, the novelty of looking out at floodwater wore off months ago.

51 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Ready to start chasing some warmth now.. 

Its been an abismal winter apart from the suprise snowfall I had back in November. 

Were going through a period where northern blocking is becoming harder and harder to establish.. 

I can't remember the last time we had a proper battleground scenario, its been to long.

Low solar activity affecting our weather is another one off the list of positives in regards to promoting colder UK weather. 

Northern blocking seems to occur in spring and summer mind! 

Back to thoughts on the winter so far, the last 5 weeks have been very woeful has to be said for anyone wanting cold, snowy weather, however, the start of December was ok, and the period 11-19 Dec brought a bit of snowy interest here. 

I never discount chance of snow until well into April, in an average year, March is every bit as likely to deliver snow here as is December. Northerly and easterly airstream statistically more likely to happen from mid Feb until May. Yes springtime cold and snow is not to everyone's liking, but can be significant.

Hoping we can see at least some snow falling from the sky this January. Very rare not to see at least something falling from the sky in January.

8 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Glenshee was epic that winter. So much snow the tows were almost buried. 

Glenshee Caenlochan 28 Jan14.jpg

11 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Absolutely, I’ve still got pools of water at the bottom of my garden dating back to November. Ground is still so saturated that it only needs modest rainfall to flood my driveway and turn the surrounding fields into Vietnamese rice paddies, Suffice to say, the novelty of looking out at floodwater wore off months ago.

Plenty of the fields alongside the roads were I cycle haven't drained since autumn.....and parts of a local bridleway are more like a river.....

Whilst I prefer seasonal weather, it's got to the point were I'd be quite happy with a spell of dry weather, even if it meant more mild.

23 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

It has been an absolute bloody shocker. In fact it beats last year which was dire in itself. I honestly didn't think it possible. Then typically., the met call it right when they said mild. Understatement. 

A complete yawn fest was winter 16/17 we didn't have much weather to speak of at all that year, just one snowfall I think- but can't remember, it was dry and devoid of anything.. at least this winter so far has seen a bit more 'weather' to speak of.

Also winter 15/16 another shocker for cold and snowy weather, one snowfall only on the 16th Jan, after an exceptionally mild first half. Feb brought some colder frosty weather but again snowless. 

Winter 13/14 was snowless in terms of mornings with snow cover.

Last winter again just one snowfall.

We have been dealt a very bad set of cards last few years - snowfall and cold wise.. Been here before winters 87-88 - 92/93 were also preety bad for snowfall, only winter 90-91 delivered..

Edited by damianslaw

6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A complete yawn fest was winter 16/17 we didn't have much weather to speak of at all that year, just one snowfall I think- but can't remember, it was dry and devoid of anything.. at least this winter so far has seen a bit more 'weather' to speak of.

Also winter 15/16 another shocker for cold and snowy weather, one snowfall only on the 16th Jan, after an exceptionally mild first half. Feb brought some colder frosty weather but again snowless. 

Winter 13/14 was snowless in terms of mornings with snow cover.

Last winter again just one snowfall.

We have been dealt a very bad set of cards last few years - snowfall and cold wise.. Been here before winters 87-88 - 92/93 were also preety bad for snowfall, only winter 90-91 delivered..

Just shows the regional variation. Much preferred 16/17 down here - less Atlantic wind and rain dross, and plenty of frosty sunny weather in early and late December, and a large part of January. Even received a light dusting from the northerly mid month.

February was less interesting but at least attempted an easterly early on.

Judah Cohen's latest blog mentioning the chance of a Canadian warming and referencing similarities with 2006/07 like @Glacier Point 

aer_logo_300x300.png
WWW.AER.COM

January 20, 2020 - Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) embarked on an experimental...

12 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Since when was the met office run by woke millenials? 

Its true the young generation are nesher than ever,I heard something on the bbc this morning slightly off topic,one of the major stores I`ve never heard of is closing down,and one young girl said I`d rather shop online because this weather is too cold to go out unbeilevable.

The older generation yes they certainly do feel the cold 80 years old and over

-1.2c last night but we get those sort of temps in april,and they say there cold with no wind.

Edited by Snowyowl9

6 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Its true the young generation are nesher than ever,I heard something on the bbc this morning slightly off topic,one of the major stores I`ve never heard of is closing down,and one young girl said I`d rather shop online because this weather is too cold to go out unbeilevable.

-1.2c last night but we get those sort of temps in april,and they say there cold with no wind.

It must be true then?😱

12 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I can confirm that this applies two or three years younger than that. But the one advantage of advancing years, particularly in here, is that your bu*****t antennan gets honed to such perfection as to pick up the slightest nuance

The bit on the front page showing recent posts is depressing stuff this morning. Seen a few '-0.001, coldest night of the winter, hard frost' type posts. What a god awful depressing winter it is when you have to read/write that. Round here there was a decent amount of snow over 2000ft at the weekend but it mostly seems to have disappeared with the warm, moist, westerly waft coming in now. Tedious stuff.

10 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Man I'm bored.

Yes, me too.

You know its bad when there isn't even a sniff of virtual snow.

I suspect this horrendous PV sat like a limpet to our NW for over 3 months will vacate to Siberia come March/April.

Even the Turks who usually benefit from a +NAO pattern are mild, Istanbul looking at temps of 14 by wed/thur.

Further north into Poland is mild, temps of 5,6 and 7 in warsaw this week.

History books will say 2019/20 will be the year when Europe skipped winter, i suspect you have to back to 1988/89 when this last happened.

I really really hope we get a decent summer to compensate but i fear an abundance of Northern blocking ..

39 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, me too.

You know its bad when there isn't even a sniff of virtual snow.

I suspect this horrendous PV sat like a limpet to our NW for over 3 months will vacate to Siberia come March/April.

Even the Turks who usually benefit from a +NAO pattern are mild, Istanbul looking at temps of 14 by wed/thur.

Further north into Poland is mild, temps of 5,6 and 7 in warsaw this week.

History books will say 2019/20 will be the year when Europe skipped winter, i suspect you have to back to 1988/89 when this last happened.

I really really hope we get a decent summer to compensate but i fear an abundance of Northern blocking ..

Only one day of the next 10-14 days is forecast to be below freezing in Moscow. It should be averaging at highs of -4c at this time of year, so seeing a stretch of days at 1-4c would be like seeing a week of 13-16c here in January. 

4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Only one day of the next 10-14 days is forecast to be below freezing in Moscow. It should be averaging at highs of -4c at this time of year, so seeing a stretch of days at 1-4c would be like seeing a week of 13-16c here in January. 

Was it 1814 that was 'the year without a summer'? I think this last/the next 12 months could be considered the opposite.