Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

53 minutes ago, Gary2701 said:

Just in the middle of a month in Alberta and we have had two weeks of bone chilling temperatures.  We have has temps no higher than -32c during the day and -40c at night.

That's the exception rather than the rule for the northern hemisphere! Chicago, New York, Moscow - all of them have been in perpetual autumn, like us.

1 hour ago, Gary2701 said:

Just in the middle of a month in Alberta and we have had two weeks of bone chilling temperatures.  We have has temps no higher than -32c during the day and -40c at night.

Good grief, way too cold for me, -3 C and a few days of snow yes but not -32C by day or night!

2 hours ago, booferking said:

Snow has falling in the Sahara desert and any northerly blast here keeps getting pushed further into phantom land.😅

Screenshot_20200118-132903_Facebook.jpg

It was snowing in Tunisia back in November too, saw pics of camels with snow on their backs.

3 hours ago, Gary2701 said:

I would hate that.You can’t actually do anything outside like sport or anything ,way too cold.

Must be a lot of suffering  for some the older people in those temps.

Max temps of minus 3 is enough for me,as if we will ever see that again in U.K.

The year without a winter just gone from Autumn to spring. Certainly going to be a Snow free Jan for us to go along with December. A dreadful winter none winter.

1 hour ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

It certainly looks very unlikely now that anywhere away from high ground in the north at least will see any snow before the end of the month.

That's a very definite statement.. nearly 2 weeks left.. northern low level areas could see some snow if a nw flow develops.. too early to discount it . Back to February musings.. since 2005, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2018 all brought cold weather and with exception of 2010 I think correct me if wrong were the coldest months of the winter.. 2016 I think also.. 7 out of 15 nearly half... 

41 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

That's a very definite statement.. nearly 2 weeks left.. northern low level areas could see some snow if a nw flow develops.. too early to discount it . Back to February musings.. since 2005, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2018 all brought cold weather and with exception of 2010 I think correct me if wrong were the coldest months of the winter.. 2016 I think also.. 7 out of 15 nearly half... 

But almost certainly true though - Late winter and spring - probably a totally different story but Jan was always unlikely to deliver.

35 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The statistics shows that things have been finely balanced - Feb 2005 showed a change to a colder pattern after limited cold up to then.  The first half of Feb 2012 brought a cold spell after limited cold up to then.  Feb 2018 brought a rather cold month after a fairly mild January.  Feb 2009 actually brought a cold first half but finished up near average and not as cold overall as both the December and January it followed.  Feb 2013 saw a rather cold month although never on the scale of the cold spell in mid January that year.  

5 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

The statistics shows that things have been finely balanced - Feb 2005 showed a change to a colder pattern after limited cold up to then.  The first half of Feb 2012 brought a cold spell after limited cold up to then.  Feb 2018 brought a rather cold month after a fairly mild January.  Feb 2009 actually brought a cold first half but finished up near average and not as cold overall as both the December and January it followed.  Feb 2013 saw a rather cold month although never on the scale of the cold spell in mid January that year.  

Feb was actually colder than Jan in 2013.

Just not as much snow for most althought similar snow totals here. 

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Certainly all the years 52 years I can remember there has never been a year that hadn't snowed before my birthday which is January 23rd.It looks like this year is going to do it,unbelievable.It was close a few years ago but snowed a few days before although we did have a dusting mid December which lasted a day on high ground around here but it really is showing these modern times when we get no snow here in the pennines. 

On 17/01/2020 at 17:47, Sceptical said:

Current snow conditions for Cairngorm and Lecht ski centres.

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

Not the full picture though.  The west has done pretty well from the recent Returning Polar Maritime airflow, which is never likely to deliver much for the Lecht given its location and comparatively low altitude.

It has undeniably been a poor winter for snow and cold, and it might not last too long given the resurgent Euro Heights, but the west Highlands are looking pretty good at the moment.
E37982B1-EA13-4414-99D6-7BC744D7AD5D.thumb.jpeg.78a1368edae7bc5502800df79f7384ae.jpegF52EBEEE-F432-43C6-BFD5-65A013282969.thumb.jpeg.572cdc2d946f599f12fbb62ef518b5af.jpeg186B2FA7-1293-4890-823F-E14A1E5A7554.thumb.jpeg.79082dfc6e319560a0c1f468706a47ba.jpeg42ABBF21-666E-4EF3-BDBE-D8CBFCC34340.thumb.jpeg.3bece9248783db4170f5172b50633fcf.jpeg

37 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Feb was actually colder than Jan in 2013.

Just not as much snow for most althought similar snow totals here. 

What I meant to say was that Feb 2013 may have had a slightly lower overall mean temperature than Jan 2013; it was due to generally below average temperatures through the month but it never brought anything as significant as the cold fortnight in Jan 2013.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Just now, North-Easterly Blast said:

What I meant to say was although Feb 2013 had a lower mean temperature than Jan 2013, it was due to generally below average temperatures through the month but it never brought anything as significant as the cold fortnight in Jan 2013.

True - although in my location Jan, Feb and March all gave similar snow totals - about 5 inches in total in each month although the drifts in late March made it closer to 5ft a mile and a half away.

I can report seeing snow yesterday!!!   That was in Bratislava though .  I was even robbed there, was there all week it starts snowing as im boarding my flight home lol

23 minutes ago, Nath said:

I can report seeing snow yesterday!!!   That was in Bratislava though .  I was even robbed there, was there all week it starts snowing as im boarding my flight home lol

You should have told me you were coming. 😉

It's been snowing here since about 4pm today but there's only 1-2cm so far because the flakes are light. It will be interesting to see if it can keep sticking tomorrow because it's supposed to last all day.

Also interesting to see only Bratislava in Slovakia under a snow warning. Don't see that very often.

blank.thumb.png.e63dcf338332c49baef86f0fd704861a.png

Edited by AderynCoch

4 hours ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Id suggest gardeners don't think an early warm Spring is going to happen......

Thats when winter starts spring.

1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Could well be compatible with the main cluster on the ECM, at least locally 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020011812_240.

D15 clusters, coldies look away now I'm afraid... 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020011812_360.

That's as hopeless a chart for cold as you can imagine. 

We got an early burst of spring at the end of last February - we might not be far away from the same but even earlier in February. 

Coldies in the south should make the most of frosts in the next few days, if you scrape enough ice off your windscreen then throw it up in the air, it can seem like snow for a split second ;)

12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I really, desperately hoped I'd be wrong about this winter...

😞

Ahh so it's your fault then! 😆

I've lost a lot of interest in winter weather over the past couple of years. Mainly because there's been very little of it to interest me and also because I have been busy doing other stuff.

But I pop in here now and again, just in case...

Each time I've visited the forum this winter...I've come across a post with a chart and a comment like, "It doesn't get much worse than this".

So...when do we reach peak worst?

Edited by Gord

Late Feb is the next orbit of the MJO so presumably the CFS expects another high amplitude event.

26 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Late Feb is the next orbit of the MJO so presumably the CFS expects another high amplitude event.

yeah - taking that orbit  turn into account 

and CFS  LOOKINGS. .spring looks  non-exist! !!.

'along with other factors '..

it's looking  like deep winter may well come into what we assume as spring! !!.

a growing habbit  of our climatically  changing turn! !!

Edited by tight isobar

My thoughts this evening/morning is look to the north/north west. I am 100% convinced that this winter will bring us a very big surprise regarding cold and snow prospects. Its just the big question when and how we get there. The artic looks angry this year to me and its far from winter over. Watch this space night all. PS no matter how intelligent we as humans are and our big computer models. No way do I trust anything weather wise past 10 days max this includes mjo/clusters/long range forcast there are too many things changing weather wise than you can imagine. 

Edited by weathermadbarnsleylad
Missed a key point