Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

1 hour ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Climate change is ruining are snow🙁

Yes, it's ruining OUR snow. Temperatures are up and sea ice decreasing but snow extent is still actually marginally increasing in the Northern Hemisphere in the satellite era - just not in western Europe.

CLIMATE.RUTGERS.EDU

Rutgers University Global Snow Lab

If we look at this winter, extent is currently very near average but it must be deeper since snow water-equivalent is about 10-25% above average, depending on which measure.

GLOBALCRYOSPHEREWATCH.ORG

I have connections to Texas. They're getting more snow in recent years. Snow settled in northern and/or central Texas 7 times before Christmas. It usually averages less than once per year but it's snowed in Houston 5 times in the last two winters. It never snowed when I lived there for 6 years in the 70s.

2753543_snowtn.jpg?w=1600
ABC13.COM

SNOW DAY! Did you know since 1881, it has snowed 94 times in Houston?

If snow is still coming in similar amounts, we'll probably get our turn again soon. Looking back, 2-4 years after a solar minimum looks a likely timeframe for us, especially if enhanced with a bit of cooling volcanic activity at the minimum. There's been a lot of rumblings lately. Maybe we're setting up for a wintery 2022-23?

Edited by Aleman

Ok let's stop the titytaty now and move on to nice friendly discussion please.

Well we head towards mid January and I've seen two frost's.not a snowflake which in my area is unbelievable .people saying a toppler would suffice and bring in lower seasonal temps???can't see the point tbh

19 hours ago, PerfectStorm said:

Probably 'normal' I would say. Cold winters are the exception - bland, mild and wet winters are the rule. 

19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'd describe winter 13/14 and Dec 15 as rather abnormal, the weather patterns of the winter so far, have been preety normal really.. 

Disagree, it's been very mild so far IMBY, and with no significant cold on the horizon - we could have one of the mildest Januaries on record! That's not normal.

Edited by Stabilo19

2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Well we head towards mid January and I've seen two frost's.not a snowflake which in my area is unbelievable .people saying a toppler would suffice and bring in lower seasonal temps???can't see the point tbh

An amazing difference over a short distance. I've lost count of the number of times we've already had to scrape ice from the cars, not just on a morning but a few times prior to leaving work as ice/frost returned early. I've known whole winters that received less frosts than we've already had. Plenty of cold days too for cycling and walking in.

Snow has barely fallen at this height asl but there have been several falls higher up and our typical winter sees only small snow amounts anyway.

There have also been mild days but again I've known plenty of winters with more double figure days than we've had so far!

All in all, an average winter so far.

16 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yup sod all here Snow free so far and looks like the chances of a Snow free January are very high. The garden growing and spring is on the march. Very good or bad depending on how you look at it of recording the warmest Jan on record here.

3 hours ago, trickydicky said:

I grew up in the western Lake District and went to university in Preston. I can remember it being revelatory to me how much warmer and dryer it was there! It can be incredibly crap in the North West weatherwise but it is occasionally compensated for by being easily the most beautiful part of the country (maybe not Oldham). I could never live in the south east, its just too busy and too flat! What has become marked over the last few winters is the absence of sun. Even the milder winters of the 90s would throw out a week of sun and frost. We live in a time when compared to our parents' time (60s) the seas are warmer and the jet is more powerful. Northerlies and easterlies don't stand much of a chance and when they do they aren't blowing off a frozen Arctic or Baltic Sea, or a cold continent so have less punch. Its a bit ironic that when back in the day they didn't have central heating or double glazing it was much colder, now we can deal with it much better we don't get it! I'm sure we'll get another cold spell at some point and we probably wont see it coming as we'll all have given up by then.

The one setup when NW England does do well is when the dreaded "North Sea Muck" arrives in spring and summer, spreads all the way across eastern England, often to Birmingham, sometimes even to the eastern part of Wales; and just sits there for hours refusing to burn off until well after midday despite the high sun, if it does at all. The Pennines keep it out of Lancashire, Cumbria and usually north Cheshire, somewhere like Blackpool can be 23C and sunny when most places are 14C and overcast. Perhaps small consolation for the rubbish they get in westerly setups, but it does make that the favoured area.

After a cold day here there's been a spurt in temperatures only for them to quickly drop back again in some places like Topcliffe.

WWW.OGIMET.COM

19 miles to the North at Leeming - no warm spike even:

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Seen better here. Funny stuff weather. Topcliffe's had a cold (daylight hours) day yet a 12.4C high.  Similar at mine. We fleetingly spiked to 11.0C after dusk but it's been under 7C all day and back there now.

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Topcliffe, United Kingdom (3265). It is updated...
WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Leeming, United Kingdom (3257). It is updated...

Edited by Aleman

A  week or so of High Pressure, and dry weather will do me just fine, if it's cold I can work and put on an extra layer, if it's chucking it down I can do diddly squat.

Watching the weather models today, I think we are getting closer to January of 1989 and 1990.

They were by far the warmest here and maybe we can surpass them? Who knows..

What an awful winter, we are even struggling to get some below freezing lows.

7 minutes ago, topo said:

Watching the weather models today, I think we are getting closer to January of 1989 and 1990.

It is a real stinker of a winter, that's for sure.  Not only is it very mild, it's also incredibly dull with a distinct lack of sunny days which does not help one's general mood!

9 minutes ago, Don said:

It is a real stinker of a winter, that's for sure.  Not only is it very mild, it's also incredibly dull with a distinct lack of sunny days which does not help one's general mood!

At least the weekend looks bright and sunny!

4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Disagree, it's been very mild so far IMBY, and with no significant cold on the horizon - we could have one of the mildest Januaries on record! That's not normal.

This winter kind of reminds me of 1988/89 and 89/90, but I think even both of those contained cold frosty periods, despite this being the post 1987 milder winter period.

4 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Might need to spend a few weeks in Canada/Scandinavia each winter going forward seeing the state of our kaput winters 😬🤦‍♂️

Yep, I think that will be the way forward for snow lovers!

42 minutes ago, topo said:

Strange isn’t it. I remember 1989 being the first winter where it really did feel like the uk winters were changing, after realising 1987/88 wasn’t just a one off. By 1990, the milder weather continued.

Back to 19/20. I still think February may just provide something colder, but I fear this could slow the warm up in the spring. The last thing I want is a cold February to be followed by a cold March and April. 

Just now, Don said:

Yep, I think that will be the way forward for snow lovers!

There’s no guarantee. Even in the colder years, you can still get a mild blip. 

8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Strange isn’t it. I remember 1989 being the first winter where it really did feel like the uk winters were changing, after realising 1987/88 wasn’t just a one off. By 1990, the milder weather continued.

Back to 19/20. I still think February may just provide something colder, but I fear this could slow the warm up in the spring. The last thing I want is a cold February to be followed by a cold March and April. 

think we're looking at snowless January, (south) last few GFS runs suggest none, upto end Jan, really would not surprise me if we are here 2 months today, and most southern areas not seen a flake of snow, and hardly a frost

do uk winters exist anymore, they're certainly warm, TMW, Tom Martin Williams

9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

This winter kind of reminds me of 1988/89 and 89/90, but I think even both of those contained cold frosty periods, despite this being the post 1987 milder winter period.

I don't recall any frosty spells during 1988-89. Just  5 air frosts for December 1988 and January 1989. It did get more "wintrier" during the second half of February 1989.

Finally maybe some white on the ground in a few days, amazing. 

I realise hoping for snow as well as frost  is like the same chance of winning the lottery, but maybe we can strike the jackpot, once this winter! 

1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I don't recall any frosty spells during 1988-89. Just  5 air frosts for December 1988 and January 1989. It did get more "wintrier" during the second half of February 1989.

I think that Dec 1988 and Jan 1989 produced only isolated frosts at night in many parts of the country, and the second half of Feb 1989 did see favoured areas receive the only snowfall of the winter although even then it was never widespread and it was a snowless winter for most parts of the country, and saw next to nothing in the way of cold snaps let alone cold spells.

A bit more seasonal next week down south but nothing to scream out.

What are the chances of it being bitterly cold in March and April. Torture! 😖

Never usually interested in spring at this early stage, but I'm already looking forward to the first day I leave work at dusk rather than in the dark. That's always a nice turning point, but this year I'm counting the days down. 

Cannot wait for the warmer longer days given the gloom which has felt unending this season. 

1 minute ago, Number 23 said:

Never usually interested in spring at this early stage, but I'm already looking forward to the first day I leave work at dusk rather than in the dark. That's always a nice turning point, but this year I'm counting the days down. 

Cannot wait for the warmer longer days given the gloom which has felt unending this season. 

I keep winter records and so far this winter we have had 16 dull/cloudy days which have had calm or slight breeze conditions (what I call bland days) and this doesn't even include the days with rainfall like today which says it all!....sadly it feels more winters are becoming like this, I sorted myself out with plenty of Vitamin D tablets in October.