Jump to content
Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Recommended Posts

All this warmth and record heat Greenland just records it's all time record low🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, booferking said:

All this warmth and record heat Greenland just records it's all time record low🤪

Read the rest of that twitter thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Read the rest of that twitter thread.

Any comment? Would be useful to learn what this might mean for UK. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Griff said:

Any comment? Would be useful to learn what this might mean for UK. Thanks. 

Unfortunately, it means nothing.

Interitus is pointing out that the recording at that station is likely to be a bad one, if one had read the replies of the original tweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Griff said:

Any comment? Would be useful to learn what this might mean for UK. Thanks. 

Deep cold over Greenland simply fuels the jetstream and we get endless mild South Westerlies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bleedin' 'ell it's warm, shirt sticking to my back after 40 min walk, I remember when January was a cold month, anyone on here born post '99 won't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bleedin' 'ell it's warm, shirt sticking to my back after 40 min walk, I remember when January was a cold month, anyone on here born post '99 won't

Yes, I went for a walk yesterday and had the same issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bleedin' 'ell it's warm, shirt sticking to my back after 40 min walk, I remember when January was a cold month, anyone on here born post '99 won't

Dunno, I was born in 1978, and I can't say that cold Januaries have been the norm before or after 1999.

Off the top of my head, no googling, just my memory...1987, 1991, I think 1997 started cold? and 2010. There may be one or two more, one or two in the early 80's when I was still too small maybe. But I wouldn't use 1999 as a cut off...

But the last decade...granted...it's been a bit useless.

Edited by Gord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bleedin' 'ell it's warm, shirt sticking to my back after 40 min walk, I remember when January was a cold month, anyone on here born post '99 won't

Haha you really need to get it out of your head that the weather was refurbished in time for the new millennium.

The coldest January’s and January weather I’ve experienced have been post 2000.

If you really want to find the closest thing to a switch flick, compare the 90s with the 80s!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Erdem said:

One of the guys on TWO is saying he has never seen such mild ensembles in 20 years , it's a remarkable persistence of pattern , and it seems it happens more and more often .

There’s many in here, I like to refer to here as one being better😄😜👍, who have been saying the same👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bleedin' 'ell it's warm, shirt sticking to my back after 40 min walk, I remember when January was a cold month, anyone on here born post '99 won't

2001, 2009, 10 had cold weather in January, but granted, anyone born in 99 probably won’t remember those years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gord said:

Dunno, I was born in 1978, and I can't say that cold Januaries have been the norm before or after 1999.

Off the top of my head, no googling, just my memory...1987, 1991, I think 1997 started cold? and 2010. There may be one or two more, one or two in the early 80's when I was still too small maybe. But I wouldn't use 1999 as a cut off...

But the last decade...granted...it's been a bit useless.

80s had some mild Januaries. 1981 was mild and 1983 was very mild, so was 88 and 89. 
 

1990s also had a few mild ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha you really need to get it out of your head that the weather was refurbished in time for the new millennium.

The coldest January’s and January weather I’ve experienced have been post 2000.

If you really want to find the closest thing to a switch flick, compare the 90s with the 80s!

My parents cannot believe I can be in England in winter and not need to have heating on or coat when I go out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't remember the last time i had my heating on,so mild and no end in sight. Issue is this the norm now,climate change deniers should take note,the UK's climate has altered at a rate never seen before,time to unplug your heads out of the sand and see what's going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our weather is such an odd thing. You forget when you're interested in it that the average at this time of year is around 7c. It's not the cold we like to see but it's not exactly a warm temperature either.

I've been interested in the weather for over 20 years now. Everytime I think "That's it, we'll never see cold and snow again", a February 2009 or a December 2017 event pops up and surprises me. Usually followed quite quickly by a second event (January 2010/March 2018). Sometimes a 3rd or even a 4th in the cast of 2009-2012.  And then...just like that...when the post mortem on who got the most snow fizzles away, we're back into a run of mild, bland nothingness (or ocassionally a prolonged spell of wild and wet!).

But it's what drags me back to this forum each time, even at the lowest points for fans of the cold...like now...is the prospect of a month coming along that'll stick two fingers up at us doom and gloomers!

Edited by Gord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're going to have mild dross, it might as well be record breaking mild dross. Much like I hate heat in the summer, if it's going to be hot, be interestingly hot. 

Just looking at ensemble plumes is pretty dire viewing, even the lower percentiles barely drop below average throughout the EC and GFS runs. Councils are saving a fortune in gritting costs I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Can't remember the last time i had my heating on,so mild and no end in sight. Issue is this the norm now,climate change deniers should take note,the UK's climate has altered at a rate never seen before,time to unplug your heads out of the sand and see what's going on.

I don’t know why people are worrying about the mild winter. It happens, and while I’m not a fan of mild winters, it’s not all bad. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gord said:

Our weather is such an odd thing. You forget when you're interested in it that the average at this time of year is around 7c. It's not the cold we like to see but it's not exactly a warm temperature either.

I've been interested in the weather for over 20 years now. Everytime I think "That's it, we'll never see cold and snow again", a February 2009 or a December 2017 event pops up and surprises me. Usually followed quite quickly by a second event (December 2010/March 2018). And then...just like that...when the post mortem on who got the most snow fizzles away, we're back into a run of mild, bland nothingness (or ocassionally a prolonged spell of wild and wet!).

But it's what drags me back to this forum each time, even at the lowest points for fans of the cold...like now...is the prospect of a month coming along that'll stick two fingers up at us doom and gloomers!

I think summer 2020 will be dull and cold. Maybe something the coldies want to hear? I would hope of course for the opposite, but never rule out a poor summer in the warming climate.

Back to winter, who knows what mid to late January and February will deliver. We just don’t know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first Winter in my lifetime that my home area in the Central Highlands at low levels has not had measurable lying snow at 9AM throughout the whole of December. Even the likes of 88/89 had some snow days.

It now seems a distant memory that we had ice days in November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If we're going to have mild dross, it might as well be record breaking mild dross. Much like I hate heat in the summer, if it's going to be hot, be interestingly hot. 

Just looking at ensemble plumes is pretty dire viewing, even the lower percentiles barely drop below average throughout the EC and GFS runs. Councils are saving a fortune in gritting costs I suppose...

Save money they will, bet they won’t be ploughing money in what they’ve saved repairing them pesky pot holes though 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming up to five weeks into winter and one frost zero sleet and snow.btw this evening's EC is has flat as an Everton fan😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think summer 2020 will be dull and cold. Maybe something the coldies want to hear? I would hope of course for the opposite, but never rule out a poor summer in the warming climate.

Back to winter, who knows what mid to late January and February will deliver. We just don’t know. 

more mild and no snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Erdem said:

My parents cannot believe I can be in England in winter and not need to have heating on or coat when I go out 

Make the most of it if you can. It's not often that that's the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn’t a moan as such, but as it is atm, I’ve never known it so quite, the other day on the mod thread I counted 4 peps looking in,  it’s gotta be a record for the 3rd January I’m sure, It seems a distant memory when we’ve been looking down the barrel of -12 uppers and deep snow and as someone mentioned ice days (what’s one of them lol) anyway we’ve been there when it’s been touching 2000 peps and the thread is rolling that quick you can’t keep up....how I miss them days (the mad house) 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...