Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Looking at the temps for the next few days and it's mild. I really don't think I'm going to see a high below 7C for the first half of winter. That's abysmal. I don't know a single other first half of winter that meets that stat.

Posted (edited)

I remember some vastly milder Januaries than this one. I lived in Lincoln during January 2007, and we had highs of 12-14°C for almost the entire first 3 weeks! This month is nothing like that kind of level. Still disappointing for coldies but not exceptionally mild.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted (edited)

I have to agree with those likening this winter to those of 06/07 and 07/08 in terms of its relentless hopelessness. If anything those winters were worse because we hadn't had the 09-13 'mini ice age' and winter as a concept seemed like it had gone forever. At least we know now we can still get cold weather though I think this winter is a lost cause in terms of anything memorable. By that I mean a week or two of genuinely cold weather with ice days and lying snow. To be honest I'd settle just for a return of the odd snippet of polar maritime and some snow on the fells, maybe even some transient low level overnight slush to wipe off the windscreen. Any winter day when there isn't even any snow on the fells, and there isn't even any snow in the Scottish Highlands over 4000ft at the moment, feels fundamentally wrong to me!

Edited by trickydicky

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Couldn't care less if we get a mild winter this year so long as spring ans summer are warm and dry.

I couldn't care less if summer was cool and wet as long as we get a cold winter with snow. Although a cold winter this yr overall looks dead.  But next winter....  

Edited by sundog

7 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yes, if i'm objective for a minute, I too have no problem with other people's weather preferences - however I can be spiteful and I get frustrated in summer because I enjoy warmth and some people here don't and seem to have no issue with revelling in it, which is when my little arguments/tiffs occur on here.

I don't think I've ever posted on here during a mild spell in Winter like "Wooo mild! Long may it continue!" because even if I personally don't enjoy the cold, I don't want to purposely annoy the many people here who do enjoy cold weather. That's just common courtesy IMO.

Well said. Too much winding other people up on here, at times. It gets very irritating in summer, I don’t get this need some people have to be spiteful.

Certainly in the realms of the worst ever winters for sure. At least 06/07 had a belting snow event in February though. Thankfully it's impossible to beat 13/14 in terms of snowlessness though! Can't get less than zero 😂

the seasons are all to pot.just witnessing the crows pairing up a month earlier than normal even the crows are getting mixed up.

2 hours ago, trickydicky said:

I have to agree with those likening this winter to those of 06/07 and 07/08 in terms of its relentless hopelessness. If anything those winters were worse because we hadn't had the 09-13 'mini ice age' and winter as a concept seemed like it had gone forever. At least we know now we can still get cold weather though I think this winter is a lost cause in terms of anything memorable. By that I mean a week or two of genuinely cold weather with ice days and lying snow. To be honest I'd settle just for a return of the odd snippet of polar maritime and some snow on the fells, maybe even some transient low level overnight slush to wipe off the windscreen. Any winter day when there isn't even any snow on the fells, and there isn't even any snow in the Scottish Highlands over 4000ft at the moment, feels fundamentally wrong to me!

Of course by this stage, we'd had a cold frosty and foggy spell around Christmas in the former winter. There was also a northerly with some snow in the final week of January, and a much more significant cold spell and snow event in February. I think there was even a northerly with some snow showers in March but was much less significant.

Equally, December 2007 did produce a nice 10-12 day spell of faux cold as it's called on here.

This winter on the other hand has been pure trash so far.

Looks like a new temperature record at the summit of one of the stations in Greenland 

22 minutes ago, Erdem said:

Very mild charts again this morning and I would think the possibility to break some records for UK 

Mildest winter or even January on record maybe?

This mild winter was well forecasted by the seasonal models months ago, it is what it is no point worrying about it🤷‍♂️

The met office have issued a yellow warning for strong winds on Tuesday in parts of the north

05:00 Tue 7 - 21:00 Tue 7

• Windy conditions for parts of Scotland and northern England with a chance of some disruption.

What to expect

• There is a small chance of longer journey times or cancellations as road, rail, air and ferry services are affected with some roads and bridges closing
  • There is a small chance that injuries and danger to life could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties
  • There is a small chance that injuries and danger to life could occur from flying debris as well as some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs
  • There is a slight chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

A windy period is expected for parts of Scotland and northern England on Tuesday. The most likely scenario is for the strong or very strong winds to develop across coastal parts of northern and western Scotland, with strong gusts across parts of northern England, central and eastern Scotland. Gusts of 60-70 mph are possible, with potentially 70-80 mph gusts around some of the most exposed coastal sites.

Regions and local authorities affected:

Central, Tayside & Fife

• Angus
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Dundee
  • Falkirk
  • Fife
  • Perth and Kinross
  • Stirling

Grampian

• Aberdeenshire

Highlands & Eilean Siar

• Na h-Eileanan Siar
  • Highland

North East England

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

North West England

• Cumbria

Orkney & Shetland

• Orkney Islands
  • Shetland Islands

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

• Dumfries and Galloway
  • East Lothian
  • Edinburgh
  • Midlothian Council
  • Scottish Borders
  • West Lothian

Strathclyde

• Argyll and Bute
  • North Ayrshire
  • North Lanarkshire
  • South Lanarkshire

Yorkshire & Humber

• North Yorkshire
  • South Yorkshire
  • West Yorkshire
  • York

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/accessible-uk-warnings

18 hours ago, Nick L said:

Certainly in the realms of the worst ever winters for sure. At least 06/07 had a belting snow event in February though. Thankfully it's impossible to beat 13/14 in terms of snowlessness though! Can't get less than zero 😂

Looking at some of the temperatures for last 30 years then , for snow fans , many of these winter's must have been in the realms of the worst 

10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

no wonder SS 14 degrees forecast for Tues

Yes , I would think 16 or 17 is possible for SE.  I'm now trying to understand this large teapot theory 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

My first and last moan of Winter 2019/20. 

Oh how I would love to live in Northern Norway, Northern Sweden or Northern Finland during Winter.

Current temperatures:

37FEDA62-707B-4F5E-97A3-472B6BF6114A.thumb.png.96a2a4b64cd7f87a7c06bae057419c40.png

Temps close to or just below freezing in most of Scandinavia are balmy at this time of year! -20 wouldn't be unusual there. 🥶

So at least the UK isn't alone in having a crap start to winter.

Edited by Stabilo19

Just now, Erdem said:

Yes , I would think 16 or 17 is possible for SE.  I'm now trying to understand this large teapot theory 

? Teapot 🙄

3 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

So at least the UK isn't alone in having a crap start to winter.

As I’ve said before, that just makes it all the worse.

7 minutes ago, Don said:

As I’ve said before, that just makes it all the worse.

Quite. Right now we could do with putting this jet on steroids to good use ie storm force northwesterly from Greenland. Anything from the continent will be pretty useless right now.

3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Quite. Right now we could do with putting this jet on steroids to good use ie storm force northwesterly from Greenland. Anything from the continent will be pretty useless right now.

That would bring a bit more excitement to the place, actual weather 

On 03/01/2020 at 16:14, stainesbloke said:

Well said. Too much winding other people up on here, at times. It gets very irritating in summer, I don’t get this need some people have to be spiteful.

It does happen in winter as well though, when people want cold.

33 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Eh!? 😀

Northern Norway, Northern Sweden and Northern Finland are having a fantastic Winter at the moment (as usual) - it’s completely covered in snow. (As one would expect)

They are definitely some of the best places in Europe to visit every Winter for guaranteed snow/cold. 

Current temperatures:

D5B16838-CA17-4C6C-B9CB-975797293734.thumb.png.6ee5d98bd1387f51475679eff00de43d.png

83BCC9D6-6E99-4548-8055-3D052AE9FF43.thumb.png.6fd67e0f904a29960f7d865d334e71cc.png

Latest snow cover:

4005906D-DE53-473F-A74D-E9D7E835FA05.thumb.gif.54ef60e82b8fa21cc6719aaa46491d4a.gif

If you think all the above is crap I would love to hear ones thoughts on what a good Winter is? 😁

Anyways - roll on the cold/snow for the UK/Ireland...surely we can scrape a centimetre or two before the end of February? ☃️😎

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see anything like those temperatures in our neck of the woods but there still massively above where they should be this time of year. 

60717890-DF53-46A2-B075-7AF60F1BCBF5.png

Back in Cyprus, a Mediterranean island (i.e. just about the worst place outside the tropics for snow) I would be an hours drive away from more snow I could ever wish for. Here I would have to drive 5 hours to Scotland just to see some small snow patches on the mountain summit. Absolute disgrace.